• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My 4 year old just started hockey

catman71

he is in the "learn to skate" hockey program. We have leased him some new skates and he has some good gear and plenty of enthusiasm. It has been about 4 weeks and he doesn't use the walker anymore.

I know nothing else, can anyone give me advice on how to help him and be a good hockey dad?

First and foremost make sure that he is having fun. Do whatever you have to do to keep it fun for him. Don't force him to play if he doesn't feel like it on a certain day. Ask his coaches in the learn to skate program what you can do to help him. Watch games on TV or better yet take him to some. It can be H.S., college, or pro. It really doesn't matter what level as long as he sees the excitement of a game. It is especially good if he starts to follow a team that he likes and actually cheer for that team when they are playing. I also think that the best way to create interest is to take him to games of anyone he knows; like a cousin, brother, neighbor, or friend. If he sees someone he relates to playing he will know that he can do it as well.

That’s where I would start. The rest will take care of itself. Especially when the outdoor rinks have ice and he can go pretend he is Gaborik or Rolston at the park. Until then let him shoot the nerf ball around the house with the dog as the goalie! I think your involvement whenever possible is huge. Little boys love spending time with their dad and if hockey becomes your common interest it will create a love for the game because of the association to you.

thanks alot. I was not into hockey but he has a cousin that is and the other kids at daycare are in it. He actually asked to go, I do no pushing other than eating his vegtables.

We watch the local kids and some High school practices, It sure looks like hockey is my new pass time. The hunting and fishing take a beating, but watchin my kid, and having a coffee saturdays aint that bad either.

That’s great that you don’t push him. I have a friend that I play hockey with that has a son in hockey. I think it was the second year that his son was in hockey and he really loved it. One afternoon his son was screwing around instead of getting ready for practice and his dad got mad and yelled at him to quit screwing around and get into the car. The little guy wanted to quit hockey after that because he was relating getting yelled at to hockey! It’s funny how impressionable they are at that age. I took him about 3 weeks to get his son pumped to play hockey again and that was because he took him to a game. We walk a thin line as parents I guess. I have a 14 month old that I’m slowly introducing to the game right now. He has skates to hit the outdoor rinks this winter but right now it’s just batting around the ball in the house with little sticks. He likes to hit the dogs water dish around more than anything but I figure as long as he’s doing it with a hockey stick it can’t be all bad.

I'll be getting my 3 1/2 year old boy out this winter behind the small chair and double bladed skates.

Buzzy,

Do they make those double bladed skates for adults? My game has gone down hill since I had to switch to single blades! laugh.gif

OUCH, I don't think so. tongue.gif Maybe we'll see each other sometime down at the local park rink with our kids.

Good stuff Geno! tongue.gif I actually have a sweet pair of CCM 1152's.... I can't imagine there's another pair out there that's much nicer. I also mentioned double blades for kids... I heard from a buddy that is a no-no and you should start and always use single blades... so my plan has changed.

Keeping it fun is what its all about. Great advice!

You may want to teach him about figure skating too...the NHL might be that way by the time he's old enough to play there...lol

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.