• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Terry's Boat Harbor

styx

styx, I went into Lakemaster and found the general area, however it does not specifically name Terrys. I know I can drive right to it as we access there to hit 8 mile from the west. Maybe someone else has a different map, perhaps Gizmo Guy, he's got all the toys. Sorry, Bill

No problem guys, glad to help. I will give you a freebie also. Straight out from Terrys there is an entrance to a small lagoon. Right in front of that entrance is prime during the day with a north wind and can be absolutely deadly trolling cranks at night through that area laugh.gif

Paul,

How deep of water would you fish during the day??? With the forecast next week temps being in the 50's, I may head up .

How have you been doing during the nite bite , colors, sizes confused.gif Always willing to read, and purchase cranks, and most importantly learn from everyone.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Rodmaker

Geez Paul! Giving away the farm grin.gif FYI you can fish that spot during the day and pull walleyes out of it. Done it trolling and slip bobbering fatheads. Usually a few boats hanging around there though. Few weeks ago I saw a 28" eye get caught there around noon. You do not need to be very deep. 10ft max. The trick is getting on the lip of the first little break from 4 to 10ft. During the day lean toward natural colors Tennessee shad, blue chrome etc. At night I would switch to perch patterns. If you feel like there is some great perch fishing in this area during the day (that's why the walleyes are there). You have to do some searching to find the school but some nice jumbos can be caught.

Mark,

thanks for the good information. What determines during the day to either troll cranks or slip bobber? (wind conditions ??)

I slip bobber when I am chasing perch. Find the perch (they will be shallow on rock about 4ft depth) daytime walleyes will be close by. Anchor along that break I mentioned. Cast out to deeper water for eyes shallow for perch. If I were only fishing for eyes I'd troll. If a certain spot put out fish in two or three consecutive passes consider anchoring up and working slip bobbers for a awhile. Then back to trolling. FYI if you do find a honey hole for perch be sure to be on that spot at sunset and slip bobber. You will have a pretty good walleye bite. After it gets dark trolling is all I do. One last thing for slip bobbering use 1/8 jigheads gold if sunny orange if not and bend the hook tip up and to the side a bit. Helps hooking up on the eyes and the perch.

Mark,

Thanks for all the info. There is so much info from everyone here. I do bend the hooks with 1/8 oz or sometimes I use a little smaller jig (glow jigs). Are you heading up anytime soon??

I am hoping to be up there tomorrow from 2pm until whenever. I need to get my tow vehicle out of the shop first so it's not a for sure thing. If I can't hit the big pond I will be trolling on Minnetonka.

Good luck if you get out. Still trying to find a way to go Sat afternoon/eve. What would be your top choices for cranks on Mille Lacs (sizes and colors).

If you ever have an opening sometime, give me an e-mail [email protected]. (w) 651-604-9540.

Husky Jerks 12 or 14 similar sized Rogues. and Rapala floaters. I always have HJs in clown, fire tiger, glass perch, Tennessee shad and blue chrome with me. Rogue lazer craw and the chrome with black stripes. Fire tiger cloudy nights clown on clear and glass perch for either are my best producers. Need to experiment to get the color right. It really helps to have three in the boat so you can get it dialed in.

Mark,

Thanks for all your valuable info!!!! It is a great help.

Just curious, any rule of thumb or what determines to try Husky Jerks over Shad Raps??

Time to pick up some Cranks this weekend. Good luck this weekend!! Post your results or give an e-mail next week.

If you head up next week , give me a shout if you have an open seat. I'll contribute to the "gas fund".

This time of year I don't use shad raps. I have found the minnow bait profile and action to be a lot more effective.

Well so much for being universally loved. laugh.gif Here's an exert from some of the mail that I receive daily:

I have a cabin in the lagoon you mentioned on fishing minnesota. Ive been fishing out front for years. Now I got 10 boats out there and one guy says your telling people on the internet to fish there.. thanks a lot you (Contact Us Please) dumbass. I pay through my (Contact Us Please) and work my tail off to have a place to fish alone and idiots like you are running thier mouth to look like a guide or something. pro staff director? your a (Contact Us Please) pollock director.

James Dugan

[email protected]

Clayton Iowa

Guess I'm not as loved as I thought I was frown.gif

im sorry paul. somewhere there is a happy medium, or i'd like to think so. i can sure understand someones wanting serenity having a cabin or lake home on mille lacs... where do we cross the line and become disrespectful? that certainly is not anyones intention here.

regards,

minnesotatuff

MT,

I agree with you, but when it becomes a personal attack on a person it immediately becomes disrespectful frown.gif

you are absolutely right! the facts of the matter are mille lacs is a public water way and more and more people are fishing there all the time. that same confrontation must have occurred many times in the history of the lake and will continue in different forms for as long as mille lacs and humans are here. we all have to learn to live with each other, EVERYWHERE!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Quote:

thanks a lot you (Contact Us Please) dumbass. I pay through my (Contact Us Please) and work my tail off to have a place to fish alone

If he thinks he had a spot to "fish alone" and that no one else ever fished that spot before your post, then he is clearly the dumbass.

Universally loved minus 1 is still pretty good. If you have any info or recommendations for baits, colors, times, depths, presentations, size of fish caught and numbers of fish caught right in front of that lagoon, I hope you share them too wink.gif

That is way offsides to me. I live on Minnetonka and have bass and musky fisherman going by all day long. I even have them casting at my dock while I am on it. I could have that guy's attitude but I don't. I just wave Hi and ask how's the fishing. They have the right to be there. FYI I had another owner in that area come out and ask me sarcasticly if I wanted to buy his dock so it would be easier to fish there. I countered with how about a month lease for October with an option to buy and I'd throw in a limit or two of walleyes as a bonus all with a smile. He softened up a bit and we chatted for awhile about the fishing in that area. Point there is it goes both ways. Those lake owners have paid and continue to pay via taxes for that property. Let's be considerate no matter what they do or say.

I agree Mark, I live on a lake also and I happen to have some of the best fishing on the lake right in front of my house. It's not a huge secret or anything, other people fish near my dock everyday. But if someone put the exact location on this website it would completely destroy that spot. I don't own the water but we need to use our heads when giving an exact location. Lure color, speed, time, depth and general location are all very helpful. Naming an exact spot is destructive and disrespectful to anyone who has put in the time to find that spot on there own. There's a difference between a well known spot and a boat parking lot which can now be found out in front of the lagoon by Terry's.

Paul, you have to feel sorry for the guy that wrote that letter to you. It is obvious that he dislikes humans therefore he wants to be left alone. Consequently his social skills have not allowed him to find any company that he might enjoy him, vice versa. Some people choose to go through life miserable. By the way where I'm from you would never talk that way to someone who knew where your cabin was.

Good point PieEyed. Fortunately for us, Mille Lacs remains one of the premier walleye lakes in the state with a very strong and healthy stock of walleyes. I've personally seen excellent, yet much smaller and unregulated panfish lakes completely destroyed due to "word of mouth" resulting in extreme pressure. With responsible catch and release practice, regulation and proper handling of fish, Mille Lacs should continue to produce a healthy stock despite the pressure at the recent "hotspots".

It was good chatting with you at the access early this morning. Unfortunately for me, there will be ice the next time I make it on the lake. Give me a shout if you're out early ice. Chances are I'll be hitting a few early ice "hotspots" of my own.

Ryoushi, I agree that guy shouldn't have personaly attacked Paul like that. Everyone knows Paul wouldn't intentionally do anything to hurt another.

WalleyeMike, shoot me an email that way I'll have your contact info for this winter. [email protected]

I'm headed out trolling this Wed, Fri and Sat. After that I should have my fill and be ready for the hard water season to begin.

Ryoushi and Pieyed,

THANK YOU!!!!

The "funny" part of this whole thing is that this is the first time I have ever mentioned a specific spot. Most of the time I won't even give out a general area. I spent a lot of time on the water earning my spots and I don't give them out freely. He$$ I don't even allow someone to bring a GPS in my boat if they are going to fish with me and I don't know them very well. Some don't like it, but those are the rules. The "spot in question" has been a long standing community spot that most, if not everyone, knew about. Now if my post made 100 people go pound that spot, well then, they learned something.

Rule #1 Shallow fish well get pushed out of an area in a hurry if it starts to get pressured.

This website is about helping each other out, learning new techniques, making new friends. If you don't agree with that, fine........feel free to let us know. Just don't start personal attacks, name calling, etc. It has never been tolerated here and I don't think it ever will be. Any forum that has allowed such antics has withered and died.

Well said Paul. Technology has had an incredible impact on fishing, we need to adapt to it. Regardless, this spot was by no means an "ace up the sleeve". All this makes me ask: Isn't fishing supposed to be fun? To me it is, and that's why I'm on FM.

This made me think of something that will hopefully bring a chuckle to the rest of you as well. Mark Stanley did talk about a fish living under his dock this summer. I googled his address and with the GPS was off the end of his dock that evening. Kidding!!! But I thought about it! grin.gif

Chris

Paul sure does put his time into finding his fish. I bought his h20 from him and he left all of his waypoints in it. WOW, the time he spent putting the waypoints in had to take forever. Paul, I only use the h20 for ice fishing and I have plenty of my own spots wink.gif.

Thanks for all the information you have passed on grin.gif.

LovenLifeGuy

Paul,

I agree with everything you mentioned. I wouldn't let people use their GPS in my boat either. I only get up to Mille Lacs on a good year 7 times, and have yet to experience the "Fall Crank Bite". My youngest Son has me running around with Sports activities.

This site has given me a "ton" of information, and things to try to make my next trip up there more successful.

Thanks to everyone who posts here !!! I'm still hoping for one more chance to fish up there soon.

Rodmaker