• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scrapes, Rubs, Trails, Stand Placement?

Sportland_Bait

I have a stand set up on a funnel area at the bottom of a ridge near a feeding area. I did some more scouting yesterday and found 2 new scrapes and a rub on a deer trail that runs on top of the ridge about 75 yards behind my stand. Should I move closer to the area that i noticed the fresh sign or stay put in the location that I am at? In past years while bowhunting during the rifle season during the rut I seen a few bucks chasing does through the area I have my stand at. What would you guys do?

Jason Erlandson

Missing some info. (approximate distance from bottom to top of ridge, elevation change, etc.). With that said, I think this is good, general advice...

With the rut kicking in (look for signs of this in your area), my stand placement would be where the does are. Since you've seen bucks chasing does near the bottom of the ridge, stick to that. Find the does.

If the bucks aren't chasing, get to the top of the ridge EARLY - at least an hour before sunrise. He travels the top of the ridge and probably beds on top because thermals rise upwards as the sun warms the side of the ridge. He can smell everything below him.

Of course, this is assuming pressure where you're hunting will allow deer to act normal. If it's pressured heavily, think thick.

The top of the ridge is about 90 yards from my stand. There have been plenty of does using the feeding area near my stand. The other day i was watching about a dozen does and fawns feeding the picked corn when a spike buck wanderred over to feed. The does all got real jumpy. The rutting should be starting soon. I think I'll stay where I am, just see what happens. I might be able to grunt one off the ridge into bow range. We'll see. Thanks.

Jason Erlandson

Jason

If the deer are moving through the area you have your stand placed at, stay put... Especially if this is on the main travel corridors for the does heading out into that field to feed. As long as the wind is right, and this is the case, any buck looking for a hot doe will work this corridor to intercept a hot track of a hot doe. Good luck...