• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

registering deer

troutmaster

So be honest now, how many of you guys and gals out there actually register your deer? Because the more people i talk to, the more i wonder how accurate the DNR are with there numbers. it seems like pretty much all of the older hunters i talked to never register there deer. So i'm just couriouse as to how many of you FM's register you deer?

Have never brought one home that was not registered... in any state I have ever hunted in. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Register all my deer; I like to think my license is good for something that way! I dont think anyone will admit that they do not register their deer on here!

When I hunted Minnesota we always registered all deer every year.No exceptions.Wait,I dont in North Dakota as there is no regristration there. wink.gif

why not ?we just started having a deer registration here in iowa this year. i like it ! the DNR has made it easy.doing it online, took about a minute, and i hear that over the ph. is just as easy.any i get will be registered also!

Every deer we shoot gets registered.

Since the liberal bag limits, I rarely hear of deer going unregistered any more. Now that you no longer need to present the deer at the registration station, that has helped too. Some folks were reluctant to take a hanging deer down after it had been skun out to get it registered.

100% registered for myself and the rest of our party in 30+ years of deer hunting archery and gun. No exceptions.

We always register them as well. I am glad you don't have to take the deer with anymore, makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Is that a change in the law or is it just that most places aren't doing what they are supposed to do? I've always thought that the registration station was required to physically see the animal but I haven't had one person come out to have a look in many years.

Bob

The registration stations purpose is to collect the harvest information only. They DNR is responsible for checking to see if your honest, or at least that is what our registation station has on their wall. We register every deer we harvest. You get stopped with a deer in you car out side your area with out a registration on it and you get a door prize I believe. I am not risking that. Every year I am surprised to not see a DNR guy roaming the fast food lots checking deer, or even having a traffic check somewhere along the way. Would not be too popular among everybody on the road. I know there are people out there that don't register deer, but my guess is that the DNR factors something in for this. I would doubt too many people are going come on here and say they don't. We follow all the rules, no matter how dumb some are like tagging at the kill site. At least that changed this year, but you still have to validate the tag at the kill site. now, if we could just do something about the ATV's during closed hours.......

Every deer every year at our shack. Register and weigh at the same time.

Nitroant,

Not bad ideas you got going there, especially the atv thing. Always seems like there's people around who could care less about that law. Unfortunately when you think about it, it seems that way it is for about every law in every state somewhere.

BigBucks, I'm not sure where you got your information but this clip is copied and pasted from the regulations online.

Registration

• Every deer taken must be registered. Registration stations display large,

orange “Big Game Registration” signs. You can find a complete list of

all stations at any DNR Wildlife office or on the DNR Web site.

• The person whose tag is on the deer must personally present the deer

at an official deer registration station and receive a big game possession

tag. This tag must be attached to the hind leg, ear, or antler

where the site tag was attached.

• A possession tag must be obtained:

a) Within 24 hours after the expiration of the season under which

the deer was taken (for example, a deer taken during the Zone 4A

firearms season must be registered within 24 hours after the close

of the 4A season, even if the deer is tagged by a multi-zone or allseason

deer licensee); and

B) before the deer is processed, either privately or commercially. Deer

may be transported out of the zone where taken without being

registered first, except in the metro deer zone where they must be

registered prior to transporting from the zone.

And on the original topic, yes we always register each and every deer.

We register all of our deer. It would be stupid not to when you can shoot at least 2 per person.

I've talked to a few licensing agents that said the DNR guys very specifically told them they don't need to go look at the deer & give hunters the third degree. We can haul them in, they're all legal, & often we still do if we have to transport it near a registratioin station anyway, but sometimes it's just an unnecessary hassle to take the deer in. We just take the tag in & register it.

Typically what we do is, after the day of hunting if we have been lucky that day, we will leave the deer at camp hung up in the tree, stop in to the local gas station and register it, if there is a problem and they need to see it, we will stop in on the drive home and take care of it.

I know of people who don't register their deer. I always do, but over the years I've heard about and seen people who have just self-processed and that's it. I wonder too how many people don't do it, and if DNR calculates this in their harvest figures.

I'm sure they haven't got much choice but to be somewhat conservative when deciding harvest limits, etc. I would also be willing to bet that those who refuse to register are the first ones to complain about liberal harvest limits when they don't see very many deer. Registration provides a tremendous feedback to those that regulate or try to regulate the harvest in order to maintain a healthy herd. It only makes sense that as sportsmen and sportswomen we do our part to insure a future for our passion.

Please register. It's painless and it really isn't that inconvenient.

Bob

One thing for everybody to remember if you have a hunter who tagged and registered their deer but has to leave early for work/school or whatever make sure they leave their license with someone who is still there. We always cut up our own deer on the monday after the weekend. One year (I was too young to hunt) the group started cleaning on Sunday night because they had enough deer. One of the guys hunting had to go back for school the next day and forgot to leave his license. The warden checked them and wouldn't let them clean that deer until he seen the license and was just a (Contact Us Please) about it. I know he is only doing his job but he made the kids(he was about 15) dad drive the license back up to where they were hunting. He wasn't really happy because he is a doctor and had a lady that had just went into labor but the warden made him drive it up that night. Needless to say he let the warden know what he thought of him.

So now when one of our group has to leave early we make for dang sure they leave their license with one of us.