• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chopping on birds instead of retrieving

anchor man

I have a 3yr old lab and she does a good job retrieving ducks in the water, but when we pheasant hunt she'll get to a downed bird and take a bite or two of feathers instead of picking it up and bringing back to me. Any advice to break this?

Thanks much

Sometimes when a dog is hot and thirsty, they don't like to pick up upland birds. If your dog was force fetched, you could fix the problem in two seconds. Assuming it is not, you will need to try and create enthusiasm for roosters by using one to train. You need to have her retrieve in your yard and then move to cover situations. Without any force fetch training, you are going to have to try and foster her natural instincts and get her to want to do it. Be patient as it may take a while.

JDM

The first time I had my pup on pheasants was last weekend and on the first day she ate a few feathers, so that night I took a pheasant wing and used that to play fetch with (instead of the tennis ball she loves) Every time she would start to chew I would just tell her NO. After an hour there was no more chewing and she didn't do it at all in the field the next day.