• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

windage adjustment

volksdriver

I am new to the center fire rifle game, and have just purchased a H&R/NEF .243 for some "varmint" hunting. Had a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 x 40 Scope mounted on it before leaving the shop. I am having problems getting the windage adjusted, am max'd out on scope adjustment, and putting the pattern 5 inches to the right of target (still preliminary site-in and shooting from 50 yards.....wanted to ensure I was "on the paper")

How do you adjust the rings? I had "B-Square 1inch adjustable dovetail rings" put on. Is it something I should attempt to do, or have a hunting buddy assist..... or does it need to go back to the shop? I have 200 clicks overall on the adjustment scale ring, but have no more adjustment to move shot to the left! Was it mounted and bore sighted incorrectly?

The elevation is right on..... just hitting 5 inches right of crosshairs.

Really appreciate any help or suggestions!

If you are shooting to the right,then you should move your cross hairs to the right.That will make you shoot more to the left.Always move the direction to which you are shooting to correct.I hope this makes sense .

Thanks, Harvey Lee.... my problem is I have run out of scope adjustment....I am "bottom'd out" and don't want to force any more clicks and have over 200 clicks the opposite way which takes the grouping even further right! confused.gif

There has to be something wrong with either the scope or the way it is mounted. I would take it back to the shop and have them look at it. It should never take that many clicks to adjust.

Maybe I am not understanding.You are shooting to the right.When you are adjusting your scope are you moving your crosshairs to the right or to the left?

I am trying to move them to the right...completely out of "clicks" on the scope windage adjustment. Turn the other way, crosshairs move left, and I have just over 200 "clicks" going that way. Would seem to me that the scope may have been mounted incorrectly, (???) and that the scope should be somewhere near the center of those 200 "clicks" to allow more precise sighting allowing right or left movement? Wondering with adjustable B-Square Interlock Rings, is there, or do the rings allow windage movement? The rings and scope were mounted at the shop I bought from, there were no instructions provided with the packaging.... THANKS for all info!

Harvey what he is saying is that the scope runs out of adjustment as he has it so far to the one direction it can't adjust anymore. Like I say there has to be something either installed incorrectly or the scope itself is screwed up.

I would agree that the scope has to be mounted incorrectly. There is no other reason I can think of that would cause this problem.

Volksdriver;

This is an easy fix you can do yourself with a screwdriver. Dovetail rings that are adjustable have two screws on the bottom of the rear ring that adjust windage. Start by centering the reticle in the scope, since you are all the way to the right turn the adjustment all the way to the left counting the turns, then divide that number by two and go back to the right that many turns. Next find a screwdriver that fits the windage adjustment screws on the rear ring, These are not the ones that hold the scope in the ring but the ones that hold the ring on the base. Since you are hitting to the right you need to move the back of the scope to the left so loosen the screw on the right of the ring. Open the action on the rifle and set it so you can see through the bore and the scope and see a target of some sort. adjust the ring by tighting the screw on the left of the ring. Keep checking the progress by looking through the bore and the scope until they both line up on the same spot with out touching the gun just by looking through the scope and bore. Then tighten up the screw on the left and you should be on target and ready to finish sighting in. Some rings have allen head screws so you may need a set of allen wrenches. Just make sure you are moving the back of the scope to the left.

Thanks to all for the tips and info... I thought that there might have been some adjustment to the mounts, just not sure how to do. I will try the suggested tomorrow, and hopefully be able to get this corrected. Again, THANKS!

If you cannot set windage with the rings or use a boresighter to begin, then take your bolt out look through barrel and match crosshair to same target you see, reinstall bolt and start your target practice at 25yds, then 50yds then 100yds then more if you need (with my .243 I sighted it at 250yds).

Shoot 3 rounds each time max then let barrel cool. For varmint hunting I use Winchester Silvertip 55gr or Hornady V-Max 58gr, they are awesome.

Thanks to all for your help..... took it back today, different sales person at the counter. Explained my problem, he took it to the back to check the bore sighting and guess what....way out, mounts and scope are out of whack. Said the rings originally mounted on Saturday were defective, put a new set on, and claims the bore sighting is bang on(??? remember, I am new to all this!) Now anxious to sight it in, and hopefully the issue is resolved. Thanks again!