• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tried to Buy a Ford

gunflint

Question

Well, we attempted to buy a Ford this week but Ford wouldn't let us. I guess it wasn't Ford but 2 Ford dealerships. Going in as past customers and armed with the knowledge that Ford had their worst quarter in 14 years we were treated to less than honest, high pressure tactics that I know how to deal with but frankly wasn't expecting. I believe Ford still makes a good product but their sales tactics are stuck in the 80s. Ford lost 2 customers, we now have a new Jeep Liberty sitting in the parking lot. Good luck with those bad earnings Ford. I think I have an idea that might help.

14 answers to this question

Gunflint-

Let me guess.... one was the "biggest Ford dealer north of the Metro" and the other was part way up the shore. That is too bad that you were treated that way. I too happen to think Ford has a good product. I was treated like dirt by that dealer at the tip of the lake. They tried many unethical if not illegal tactics with me. I ended up at a dealer in Grand Rapids and have nothing but good things to say about them. Try them if you ever get over the sour taste in your mouth and want to go back to Ford

I'd like to make it known that's it's just not a Ford issue either.

My parents (70ish) tried to buy a minivan from the local Chrysler dealer last week. Of course they get the same tactics, which makes my dad very upset.

I was upset too, because I maintain properties for one of the sales managers, and had I known that they were for sure going in, I would have introduced my parents to the specific manager that I deal with.

All in all it worked out though. The sales manager couldn't make it up to my parents, but he gave me more than a fair deal on my '03 Dodge 2500 / '05 Dodge 2500 on 2 new '06 Dodge 2500's.

My wife wasn't too happy, but she still hasn't quite figured out what it's like to be self employed either.

Anyways, back to my original point. To make sure this isn't a "brand" bashing thread, I wanted to point out that it's not a brand's tactic, or necessarily even a dealer's tactic, but might just come down to the salesman / sales manager and their tactics.

sorry to hear about your bad experience gunflint. I myself have bought my last three vehicles at Apple Ford. I have to say that it was probably the complete opposite of how your visit with the dealership was; the salepeople didn't work off of commission and there was no pressure. In fact the when I went in to buy my last vehicle, sight unseen, a couple of years ago ('03 Expedition), I was in and out of the dealership in about an hour. I was pre-approved by my credit union and had looked up their inventory online. When I arrived at the dealership, I looked at the vehicle and took it for a test drive. All I did when we got back to the salesman's desk was cut him a check and fill out the title transfer forms. The trade-in was done in a matter of minutes and I got more than a fair price (they offered more than I was going to accept). He handed me the keys and away I went. I've had trips to Walmart that lasted longer than the whole ordeal.

Bottom line is, I will drive to Apple Valley from Detroit Lakes to buy my next vehicle from them. Any dealer who hasn't figured out how to sell a car without sales commissions will surely take it in the shorts the in the near future. I think most people will agree that they are fed up with the typical car salesman and their tactics.

Remember, the manufacturer dosen't pick the salespeople, the dealerships do so this is not Fords issue. Take it up with the dealership manager and let him know that his hiring practices have cost him two vehicles.

I am not a Ford enthusiast but don't blame them for the salesmen attitude. I had same problem one day with a GM dealer, I was returning south from Apple Valley and I stopped in Lakeville to check a Dodge Truck thie known GM dealer had, to make it short aftre 3.5 hours of discussing I had to grab the salesman and slam him against the wall telling him to give me back my truck keys (they took it for a trade in evaluation). They didn't want me to leave unless I bough the truck....what a joke. Since then they have lost many customers since I told everybody about this.

So don't despair, it's not Ford fault, it's just bad salesmanship.

I agree Valv that it is not the manufacturers fault and I don't think anyone here really implied that. There are some extremely shady salesmen out there that will resort to almost anything it takes to get the sale. I just about fell for the old "bait and switch" until my better judgment took over. The truck that they quoted me an excellent price on "sold" before I got there, but was back on the lot in 48 hours. The truck that they tried to get me to buy (very forcefully) was much less of a truck and they wanted $3,000 more than what I was quoted on the one that "sold". I believe that I have kept at least five people from doing business at that dealer after telling my story. I went elsewhere and was very happy with how I was treated.

I guess I was just venting. I don't think the manufacturers are all to blame. I think it's mainly the dearship owners. I beleive that the 4 or 5 closest Ford dealers to me are all owned by the same person. I do think that the manufactuerers could have the dealerships lighten up a bit.

It seems to me that alot of people don't like going to dealerships. And if you don't like going to dearships you're not going buy a vehicle unless you almost have too. I do understand the need to help people decide what they want, but disrespecting customers by trying to bully them or force them into something that they don't want isn't going to help you in the long run.

Valv, I had a quiet conversation with my salesmen about not giving me my keys back before I handed them over. I still had to ask for them 3 times.

After trying to sell my Dodge for a few weeks now I will close on a deal tomorrow at the local Dodge dealer. Long story short, I bought a crew cab Chevy 2500 from Detroit Lakes and traded in my Dodge here. They own both dealerships. I have never had much luck with this dealer in the past but this new Ops Manager is making this deal happen. Fresh from The GM dealer in Detroit Lakes 6 weeks ago. Glad to be done with all the running around, no pressure and alot less hassle if you can beleive that.

Quote:

I guess I was just venting. I don't think the manufacturers are all to blame. I think it's mainly the dearship owners. I beleive that the 4 or 5 closest Ford dealers to me are all owned by the same person. I do think that the manufactuerers could have the dealerships lighten up a bit.

I believe I know the 2 dealers you are talking about and yes, they use some fairly underhanded old style tactics. The problem is they have no competition so they can get away with it. Next time a I am looking for a vehicle, I am heading further south. I think if nothing else the better treatment would be worth the ride.

I've bought my last two trucks at AV Ford also without any pushing or shoving. On the last one,( 2002) I looked at the truck on a Sunday when they were closed and left a voice mail message that I wanted it and would be there after work the next day. During the day I had one short phone conversation regarding financing and that was it. The truck was ready to go when I got there. An aquaintance of mine who bought a truck at AV Ford told me his biggest problem was with a engine related warranty repair and they couldn't figure it out. He found out AV Ford mechanics are not union so he took it to a South St. Paul dealership where the mechanics are union and they "Fixed it right the first time".

I've always had really good service with the guys at AV Ford. They've even fixed stuff that the clowns at Detroit Lakes Ford messed up at the drop of a hat and with no problem. They had to repair a cross threaded fuel pump in the fuel tank after the nitwits in DL performed some warranty work and replaced the fuel pump (gee, thanks guys...) I had raw fuel spilling all over the place when I fueled up with $3/gallon fuel... Luckily AV Ford fixed the problem as soon as I drove up.

I work at a dealership and when I took my parents to go buy a new car. I still got the run of the mill salesman tactic. Which made me so upset, because this is the same company that I work for. My so called employee discount that they quoted me was a joke. Honestly, I think next time when I buy a car it's going to be done all online so I don't have to see another salesman, and give him some words that can't be written here. grin.gif

I bought a new truck from Northwoods Ford in Hibbing last year and received nothing but the finest in courtesy and honesty. Tried buying a truck from "the biggest dealer ouside the metro area" and was so PO'ed I swore I would never buy so much as a can of pop from them! The sales rep was rude and not at all helpful. In talking to others this seems to be SOP with this dealership!

Gunflint

Next time You are with in ear shot of a Duluth radio station You will understand why the car dealers are so bad ,,,they have to pay for all the advertizing!!!! I have never lived in an area that does this many ads for car dealers both TV and radio,,,I have promised Myself that I will never buy a new vehicle again and will buy used from a private party instead ,,,but thats just Me

Randoid