• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer stand "pit stop"

Big Country

Am I one of the only one? I have always used a milk jug or some type of container to, aheem, relieve myself while in the stand. I try to be extemely cautious with scent control. I use to chew snuff and would spit in empty pop containers. It just seems that ever since I have been doing this (been years now) I rarely get winded by deer. I wash everything in scent controlled soaps, and even leave what I wear in the woods for four weeks before the opener. Just wondering if others are this cautious. The guys at work think I'm crazy and that most deer are curious of the different scents,how should I say, we create. Any oppinions?

Young deer, I would agree are curious.

Old does and bucks forget it, they don't wait around to check it out.

I am with you on the scent control. I don't even like putting out scent because I can't believe that something that comes out of a bottle smells like what comes out of a deer.

I use Wildlife Research Scent Killer and their laundry soap extensivly and had great success with it. I havn't been winded since it came out and I do leave my stuff in the woods for at least a week.

I guess I take a real chance here.I always do this on the way to the stand a long distance off.If I am in my stand for hours and have to go,I just stand up and do it.I probably should not do that but I cannot figure when it has ever hurt me.I try not to do it bow hunting but when rifle hunting I really dont care as where I hunt there are numerous deer and I hunt a field edge where my shots are almost always 150+ yards.

I guess if was rifle hunting close quarters like bow hunting then it would be a good idea to try and control the extra scent.

I try to be as scent cautious as possible as well. For long sits in the stand, bottles are my bathroom. For short sits, I usually go where I park the vehicle if at all. Your vehicle should not be parked in a place where deer typically travel anyways. If possible, I try to park in the farmyard of the owner of the land. Of course this is only an option when you are hunting close to the farm, but that way the deer don't associate my truck pulling up to the same spot with me being in the same place. They don't pay it any attention, as there is typically a lot of traffic in most farmyards.

I forgot to mention that I am hunting in thick woods in northern Minnesota. Deer usually are within sixty yards or closer when I pull the trigger. So for me, scent control is crucial in my oppinion. I just have heard others state that they feel I am overdoing it. I don't believe that I am. BC

We put in mini sewer systems in our stands, 20ft of hose, 3ft deep hole with a five galon bucket in it,conect hose and bury the bucket, Oh and a cork for the hose,

we started doing this after a freek blooper envolving and pee jug and climing down from a stand,ick ick ick!

His weekend was wrecked and a little stinky.

Even as a bow hunter, when I have to go, I go. It hasn't affected my hunts ever as far as I know. After eating our tratitional mexican feast the night before gun opener a few years ago I found my self in an emergency situation the next day while on stand. I had two fawns bedded down about 50 yards away and facing me but I HAD to get down and do my business. After things got taken care of and I was back up in my box blind the fawns were still there and had watched me through the entire ordeal. I also chew snuff while I hunt though I don't spit. When I am done with it I do put it in a ziploc for later disposal. That is just what I do and in no way would I think anyone could 'over do' scent elimination.

I have not been able to come up with a good solution either. But a story that comes to my mind with this topic is my dad many years ago. He goes to the bathroom when he needed to and we were on the second week of the hunt so this had happend a few times. Then his coffee cup fell of the stand so that was on the ground. Sunflower seed shells were all over the place and he had a group of deer walk right under his stand. I have messed around with several scent items and it doesn't seem to matter. I think I have had better luck with worrying about it less. The other thing though that I think is important is to get your stand in the air as high as you can for just human scent because I think you can get high enough to help.

I Would say that if you are doing what you think is rite then you are doing the rite thing. You leave your cloths in the woods a week before season, I knew a guy that, for the 2 weeks before season, would take a different dirty t-shirt of his to the stand every 2 days and leave it hang there. he would do this all season also. He shot big bucks every year. His thought was that the deer got use to his smell in the area so paid no attention to it. Just go hunt the way you think is rite and enjoy it. Because I have taken 2 does already with my bow and want to save the buck tag to hunt with the grand kids, I spent 4 hrs. on stand today with my bow , incase a wall hanger came by and a camera for anything else. I enjoyed every min. even if I didn't see anything.

Enjoy the hunt, that is what counts.

I usually bring a couple 20 oz Mt Dew's with to keep me awake, then use the empty bottles to relieve myself afterwards. Trick is to remember which one is the Mt Dew shocked.gif

I dig a hole nearby relieve myself cover it up and spray either some SCENT ELIMINATOR of some sort all over the top soil or use some doe or buck urine on top

I used a baggie once for the urine....forgot it in the stand, the next guy that used the stand wasn't from our party and must have thought I left it there to deter him from using the stand.....Found TP with yellow stains on it all over the bushes for quite a distance. So don't forget your Dew bottles or whatever you use...unless you are the only one that will be using that stand.

I've heard and read that urine is urine. Deer won't know the difference. I just try not to whizz out there if at all possible.

When nature called for me last year, I just stood up and let-er fly. I had 6 does and 2 bucks come within 30 yeards of me and none of them smelled me. I'll be laying off the coffee a bit more at breakfast on Saturday.