• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Projected winter forecast??

BuckRuttinFool

Anyone have a projected forcast for what the walleye and crappie action is suppose to be this winter....I know there is no precise answer...just looking for peoples thoughts.

The walleye fishing will be outstanding now that we can target them. They say there are still plenty of crappies out there it just a big lake and a lot of area to hunt them down. It all comes down on where the roads go,how much ice we have ,how much snow.I saw some outstanding crappie fishing last year and some not so good crappie fishing. It seemed to boil down to location and ice conditions.The guys willing to leave the comforts of there fish houses and work the areas around them using the house as main base could do well.Most of the rentals do there best but the crappies seem to always be on the move,while the walleyes seem to come to you. Should be anoher fun year and again I hope I do not step on any ones toes. I have the upmost respect for these guys and would help them in any way a can.All they have to do is ask

I think we will be out on the ice with four wheelers by December 3rd. I'm going to wait to drive out with the truck until at least a week after I hear that someone has gone through the ice. ooo.gif I really hope that no one goes through this year. I think that the crappie fishing will be spotty. When we find them the fishing will be good, but we are going to have work for it. The fishing will be excellent over all. I think you will get a lot of bites all day long and pull in a lot of walleye. It should be great fishing for kids, because the action should be steady. I also think that folks will be up fishing a little earlier this year. The bite should really start during christmas break with the walleye and pike.

Ill be happy with ice period! Not that I put a lot of stock into it but the weather people are really concerned with this dang El Nino thing. Oh well, just keep thinking positive.

Dumb question. Is Red Lake allowing walleys thru the ice hole this winter?

Why is that dumb? Yes they are, a 2 fish limit with a slot of 14-17"

Good Luck!

Ken

Maybe I should rephrase my lost post. Keep thinking negative, as in negative temps. grin.gif

No question is dumb.

I can think of several. Should we go in for one? Bryce... Bryce, where's your light switch at? Did you cut yourself shaving?

I think the slot is going to remain the same as it was this summer with 17"-26" being protected for walleye and 26"-40" protected for northern.. We also start over with another 108,000lb quota for walleye allowed as of Dec. 1st. Bring on the cold baby. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt know anything about a slot limit of 26 to 40"on northern I planned on spearing up on red this year!any info on this please let me know. PS I only plan on taking a wallhanger but CPR is tough with a spear!

Yep, you can only take northerns under 26" or over 40" from Red now. All 26-40"ers are now protected. It'll be hard on spearers, but good for the overall population of big fish on the lake. I haven't speared in a couple of years now, but I too thought of spearing Red... think I'll re-think this with the slots. It would've been nice to stick one big one for the wall... but I will have to try another little lake that I know of, that puts out a few each season in the 36-40" range.

Way to many big fish going off the lake with the ice fisherman... I seen one group of 4 two years ago take home a 39", 41" and 42"... on the last weekend of pike fishing... they said it was the best day they had on Red Northern fishing... meaning what? they had other days of taking home big fish? That's how we end up with slots... too much indescriminate harvest.

Good Luck!

Ken