• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CFRay

Garmin Etrex & Lakemaster

Question

CFRay

I've owned a Garmin Etrex Vista for a couple of years. I recently got the Lakemaster MNv.4 CD as a gift. Before I open it, and eliminate a possible return, I'd like to hear from other Garmin users who may also have the Lakemaster CD and make use of that with the Etrex Legend or Vista. How do you like it? Does an entire lake map transfer into the GPS or is it only a series waypoints/routes that are created on screen and then stored within the GPS?

I've read many of the positive reports on these forums about the Lowrance iFinder units using the map chip. Good GPS units. I'd like to hear the experiences of some Garmin users. There must be some out there!

8 answers to this question

McGurk

I've got a legend and I can only do my work with contouring on a computer and import the waypoints to the legend. There are no contours imported to the GPS. If I am doing something wrong, please let me know. The new color versions may be different, though. It's my regret for not looking into it a little further. I do use the LM maps often and print out many different custom maps for areas I'm working, and will probably get the upgrade for $50.00 for existing users

BobT

I have a Garmin and I ordered the Minnesota Lakemaster software off their website. I don't know if it is manufactured by the same company as the Lakemaster for the Lowrance but I suspect it might be and it is just configured for the unit.

My only regret is that naturally about 1 month after I paid $214 for the software (had just dropped from $249) it dropped in price again and I believe it is now just a little over $100.

Bob

sparkyaber

I have the legend C and it is a great LITTLE unit. Very little. I have a hard time reading depth countours unless I zoom way in, and then I have a hard time navigating. As for the maps, you get all of the lake maps that are transfered to your GPS. All you do is select which lake, or area that contains your lake, and download it to your gps. You can pick and chose which lakes or areas you want to download, or, I belive that my legend C will hold all of the maps from the entire state. Most of the lakes that have the better contour lines are individual, i.e. Minnetonka, Mille Lacs, while other smaller lakes that have only the 5' coutours are grouped in larger geographical areas. One other great feature is that you can look at any lake on the computer screen and pick structure, mark them, and then move them onto the GPS. Also, you can split up all of the areas into files and add and delete way points as needed.

My honest opinion: Great concept, love the features, love being able to work on maps on my PC. The only bad part is the small screen, I spent all of this money on this set up (I also have the Navionics Fishing hot spots) and will still end up buying a Lowrance 332c, just because I can't see the little screen. The Garmin still will come in handy ice fish though.

Good luck

Abe

Gus

Short and simple:

Lakemaster Software will load waypoints and routes you create on the software to your gps but not the map itself.

The Garmin Lakemaster software will allow you to load the map along with the waypoints etc.

So to download the actual maps you do need to have the Garmin Version of the Lakemaster program instead of just the Lakemaster software program.

Make sense?

Paul Waldowski

Or you can just have Lakemaster loaded on a laptop and plug your GPS into that. Take the whole unit with you and with the tracking enabled you can watch yourself drive over the lake laugh.gif

McGurk

Thanks, Paul, I had thought to do that, but never tried it as I don't have a laptop. I'm glad to hear it works! The waypoint homework isn't as big of a deal to me after I print out some maps and refer to my approx location relative to waypoints in the GPS. The Laptop linkup sounds like fun, though.

CFRay

Thanks Gus, I did get the Garmin Lakemaster MNv.4. Glad to learn that the maps will transfer. I thought they would but the info. from Lakemasters and Garmin's websites did not make it 100% clear. I like the Vista well enough for the tasks I've had to this point. Looks like it will be with me awhile longer.

Gus

I have the Vista also and it has and continues to serve me well. cool.gif