• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bark collar?

kooba

Was wondering how young some of you used this on your dog? I have a little over 3 month old lab that I am having a little barking problem with. Is he to young to have this or not? KOOBA

Is there any reason why you are going directly to a bark collar?

I have a 4 month old lab now and she went through this phase at about 2 months old that she liked to bark. I quickly and easliy fixed this by the following mannor:

If she barked I slowly walked towards her and got a hold of her mouth keeping it closed and firmly said no while I put my face right in line with her's. It did not take her long to figure out that she should not be barking. Make sure that you do not chase her though. She will think that it is a big game and then you might have some issues.

I must have some bad breath

I'm sure you know that teh bark collar should still only be used as a training tool and not as a replacement for training and reinforcement.

My point comes from experience. My friends have a smaller dog that is only a house dog. It barks at everything passing within 100yds of its yard. It has little dog syndrome too. They bought a bark collar to stop the barking while its outside, but allow her to bark in the house confused.gif....unless of course she gets obnixious. Now the dog only barks loud enough that it doesn't set off the collar, thats even more annoying than a real bark. My friends doens't think its a big deal and wonders why the dog still hasn't learned not to bark at things. She only half barks if she wears the collar.

Kinda long-winded but you get the idea. Like anything else, if you stick with it you shouldn't need the collar after a while.

Kooba, I've been going through this with my setter. I started with the type that ramps up the more they bark and it taught my dog to time his barks. Now I have the Dogtra collar and as long as I have a good battery it seems to do the trick. He started with a collar @ 3.5 months old.

I've had the Tritronics Bark Limiter now for about a year and have had good luck with it. My dog is an outside dog, so the hand over the muzzle trick doesn't work real well for instant correction.

The Tritronics has a "bark odometer" on it, which tells me how many times my dog has been corrected for barking and lets me know if I need to increase the intensity or not. It has 5 different intensity levels, but are not auto adjusting like quijibo has.

My dog knows when it's on, and when it's on he very rarely, if ever barks. It's been a good tool for me.

marine_man