• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Blinds

I am looking into buying a blind for goose hunting. Most of the hunting is done in cut corn fields. My buddies have two seperate options for me. One uses a goose chair, however I dont really like it. Whenever they come in and I raise the lid, it falls back on top of me and screws up my second and third shots. The other option is a blind that you lay in. It has an opening on top that slides back and forth so you can shoot/hide. However it seems to stick out so bad and is sometimes tough to look natural.

What is everyone else's opinion on these two options? What do you use? And are there any other options out there that may be better?

Thanks for the help.

I would definitely look at the layout blinds by Otter Outdoors. Everything that Otter makes is top quality stuff. I know ChuckN has one. What say you, Chuck?

I like my final approach layout blind. And it was reasonably priced. See if you cant get through the season without one and get one on clearance after the season. Or ask for one for christmas??

Yep, ChuckN has one, and I liked it so much I bought one too. Specifically, the X-Terminator by Otter. Check the link, and Chuck has photos and even some video of hunt in a chopped corn field. I have been very happy with this blind - not one regret.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=848884&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I've used a few different brand blinds, and when I used the Otter X-Terminator I was mighty impressed with everything it had to offer for options and performance.

Check out the link Gissert provided...any questions feel free to ask.

I hunt out of an Avery Finisher and love it. Most layout style blinds will have ample stubble straps to brush in the blind to blend in with a field. Corn fields are especially easy to blend into. Another thing to try to make the blind look better is to mud it up before hunting. By this I mean get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half full of dirt. Add water and stir to make a paste consistency of mud. Spread it all over your blind and let it dry. A lot of the actual chunks of mud will eventually come off, but it does a great job of eliminating any glare from the fabric of the blind. Combine this with some leftover vegitation from the field you are hunting and you will be set.

im in the excact same spot as af1984, hunted geese 4 the first time last sun with a friend and a bunch of other people, my friend has the finisher and he loves it as do i, however im not much of a fan of the price $259 at cabelas, i was looking at the intercepter only $169 has anybody used this blind? any likes/dislikes? what ya think?

If I was looking for another blind I would buy a Final Approach SUB they are a very well made blind, lots of room and comfortable. You can find them in feild brown (you grass them anyways) on ebay for $139.00 plus shipping.

I've used a finisher a few times and they are nice. If I was to buy one though I think I'd go with the Power Hunter, it's cheaper and I like how you are 100% concealed.

I have a Power Hunter and like how you can move your head and follow the birds when they circle behind you while staying under cover.

I have had the finisher for 3 years and love it. Even talked the bro in law into buying one. This year I bought the x-terminator from Otter and I have to say it's better. Lower profile, easier to set up and very light to pack in. I have also used the power hunter and do like the full concealment, but the flip up top will come back and hit you in the head once in a while. I have also used Final approach and though they are nice blinds they are a huge pain to set up and when you are doing it in the dark it's 10 times worse. If I had to buy another one right now it would most certainly be the X-terminator from Otter. The finisher by Avery would be my second choice.

i have the intercepter blind and i like it a lot. there is nothing wrong with them and i wouldnt be afraid to buy one agian. also i was wondering if anyone has ever used a blind in a worked corn field? im thinking about trying it.

If by "worked corn field" you mean a disked under corn field, my answer is you bet. Some of my best shoots have come in these conditions. You have to hunt em where you find em. My best shoot of the year came from a silage field where there was definately more dirt exposed in the field than crop leftovers. Tough to blend in, but the ducks and geese definately wanted in!!

Here's pics:

This was also my roommate's first waterfowl hunt! Hopefully he doesn't expect me to put him on the spot like that every time.

264458330_8e94b1988d_o.jpg

264458333_ad2ccb9802_o.jpg

I have hunted out of both the SUB and the Final Approach Express. I ended up purchasing the express. Not much to it except a couple of bars and a backrest. . easy to keep a low profile and blend in with the type of field your hunting in. . im happy with the purchase but some guys like all the extra room inside where as i like to be totally concealed. . i would definitely check out the express before making a final decision.

i have the interceptor and it works great for me i would definetly recomend mudding it though it makes a huge difference!