• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are the deer?

Dahitman44

It seems like they have all gone away. Anyone else seen this? Maybe the Pheasant hunters have hurt this, I don't know.

Thought?

From about the 8th of October to the 14th, activity on our place was very low. From the 14th to the 22nd, it cranked up considerably on the trail cameras. I got six different bucks in that time frame.

I am sure there is a exact answer for your question but I do not have the knowledge to answer it.

I will say that every year for approx a couple of weekends I will see my deer sightings go way down and it is always right before the rut.This happenned to us last weekend while hunting.We saw for our group the deer count go down probably 60-70%.In a week or so that number will skyrocket again.I have watched this happen for 15 years.

It doesnt seem to matter if we are in the thickest part of the woods,the field edges or hunting the meadows.Its kind of like a full moon,I will not go deer hunting when its a full moon as the deer movement seems to always be so late.

I will just go the following week.

DHM, this past weekend was one of the toughest bowhunting weekends for me-- ever. I struggled terribly to find any deer. I sat Fri, Sat, and Sun evenings and Sat and Sun mornings. I finally got two fawns below my stand on Sun evening. I saw several hundred in the same general area I hunted while driving around at night! Dirty buggers!!! Last weekend and next weekend are my two favorite weekends of the year to hunt too. Looks like we'll have to hope for the best this coming weekend.

Personally, I'd say starting about now through the entire month of Nov. Of course the absolute best is the time of year when I get run out of the woods- all the gun hunters at home go through every piece of woods in the county. The first three weeks of Nov are awesome. However, at home you have to be willing to risk your life to go out there then. So, my best time of the year is right before gun season- the closer the better. After the season is over the deer at home tend to be out in open country and spread out all over the place. It's typically tough sledding until we get a good shot of snow.

I would guess that the next 2-3 weeks will be better every day.When the bucks start to really chase the does you could sit all day and see deer.

Making me excited. Easy big fellas. Must hunt deer now. Must hunt deer now. cool.gif

It does seem like the middle of oct is about as slow a time as you will find. However starting these last few days and into NOV it will be going good. I sat a few hours last night and though I didn't see anything I heard several deer. A couple bucks were clashing horns and crashing in the brush and heard a couple more deer very close in they brush. I am taking off 3 days next week for Deer hunting it should be good to say the least!

i wish i had pheasant hunters to blame for not seeing any deer up here in bemidji...its really discouraging, going to move a stand today...

Keep after them guys. This may be the calm before the storm, only with this storm, you will want to be there when it hits!

Weather is going to be nice for the next few day -- will that hurt of help me?

My $.02 worth.

In 1998 I went down to Missouri and it was HOT. The highs got up into the 80's which was hot for NE Missouri. I asked my guide why he didn't like the hot temps. His response was "How would you like to throw your winter parka on and run around all day, that's pretty much what you are asking the deer to do".

I think early October can be bad because the temps are typically warm and the deer are in their winter coats. Think about it, those deer are surving with that fur through the 20 below stuff in Jan/Feb. So these temps this time of the year limit the daytime deer movement.

I think cooler temps this time of the year should help but that earlier October is naturally slow. Things should pick up with the rut coming on however.

I took all of next week off!!! Even a bad day hunting is better than a good day working!

Thanks, I'll be down in your neck of the woods next week, I grew up in Henderson.

I also believe a large part of the October lul problem is that hunters have gotten busted on several occasions and the deer are starting to wise-up to the program. Using the same stand location too much and out of bad wind directions are a major factor. Heat is also a factor as mentioned previously. Then, a couple weeks later the bucks go nuts and don't care anyway!

Last Saturday was likely my best hunt of the season for seeing good bucks. I haven't noticed much change in deer sightings.

I'm heading out in a few...hopefully tonight is the night.

Had to work late -- Hope to get out on Thursday with a decoy.

I am very pumped.

Hitman

I hunted the every night form the 18th - 24th. The deer were moving alot later the last few nights. I have 8 stands and only hunted them each once. I think the problem is that i see alot more out at 11-2pm. I just noticed that the last few days and in turn that casues them to wait to come out alittle later in the evening. Also the bucks are still in there small groups. They are not really prerut mood or really chowing down. They are eating alot of grasses right now, as i saw 20 last night and most came out on to the cut beans then went to the crp field and just nibbled a little here and there. The bucks were just kinda wandering around and doing light sparring. I did however get a good look at a real nice one Monday night, he mad to small scrapes- first ones i have seen, but wasnt intrested in grunting or the can call. I honestly dont think that the rut is going to be here for the Minnesota opener, but maybe if it cools down the tail end of it. ND hunters will probly have them really geared and running all over. I get to work the next week so i wont get to hunt or do anything til the Wed before gun season. Good luck

I agree with Harveylee and others. I have noticed my deer sightings go down in the week and a half or so leading up to the rut. Don't know for sure, but speculate that the does might be getting sick of dodging bucks so they are really skittish. When I do see deer this time of year, they are often bucks. I have sat a lot of days this time of year and seen very few deer and they were past legal shooting time. The fellas are right though, its only a matter of time before all he** breaks loose in the woods!

Here where I am at the deer have picked up the last three days. Seeing both does and bucks. The bucks have been chasing, but I havent seen any cooperation from the opposite sex if ya know what I mean. Its nice because it was in a lull around here too. 8-8:30 in the morn has been best for the sightings. gl2 all

Last Thursday I saw 13 deer in the fields while hunting, lately the most I have seen has been 3. JThe last 3 times out the majority have been small bucks. Hopefully all heck breaks loose this weekend as I intend to be there when it does.

Upset --

Went out hunting and ZERO deer. Zip.

Used everthing. Scent-lok, spray, coon and doe in heat. Wind was right everything. I saw seven deer in the same location the night before.

Very upsetting.

That's how i felt the other day. Slim pickin's.

So I thought I'd try another spot and take a doe for some meat.

Everything changed in a second. Big buck behind me while I was rattling. Missed him by an inch or so at 40 yards(arrow glanced off the tree he was behind).

Bored one second, shaking like crazy the next.

HItman,

I feel your pain. I just returned from a morning hunt. I had scouted this area, seen several deer, including a nice 4x5 and a couple smaller bucks. Wind was right to hunt the stand this a.m., got there an hour before sunrise, and ZIPPO, NOTHING. Sat for three hours, decided to get down and scout a bit. Seen several deer trails with rubs, so I know they are there. On the way back to the truck, I tried to cross a small creek, I dont think my feet every touched the bottom, got soaked up to my head. Water sure is cold this time of year. To top it all off, I kick out a nice rooster right next to the pickup. Should have had a shotgun instead of a bow. Frustrating, but that is what keeps a guy going, you never know what will happen. Will try again tomorrow, hopefully my clothes will be dry.

Saw a small buck hounding a young doe last night. She wasn't cooperative, but she wasn't trying to get completely away from him either. She'd stay about 20 yards ahead. I would have shot her, but neither came in. I saw him rubbing his antlers on some willows or some small scruffy stuff.

i have noticed around me lately midday is the time to be in the woods, but its starting to tip towards mornings. i shot at an eight pointer this morning but hit an "invisble" branch and it went wide.....crap.

I went yesterday and sat out all day long, hunting some scrapes and heavily used trails, and all I did was flush a couple grouse. Too bad I didn't have my shotgun I guess. frown.gif