• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Yotes in the city

echotrail

Last night my wife and I were comming home (Apple Valley)about 9:15 p.m. and from a distance there appeared to be a large dog standing at the end of our driveway. When I got close I realized it was a full grown coyote and it was almost the size of a collie! It walked across the road ahead of us and stood on the edge of the woods and watched us from about 60 feet.

I also live in Apple Valley and have seen mutliple Yotes. There are plenty of deer, rabbits, squirrels and pets for these yotes to feed on. I believe there are alot more yotes in the area than any one imagines, especially around the parks and wooded (pipeline) areas.

Coyotes are very adaptable mammals, and are found throughout the country in places not many would expect. Large urban cities such as Los Angeles, have very large populations of coyotes living directly in downtown areas in anything they can find and feeding on rats and garbage. Not suprised to hear of coyotes in any part of the twin cities!

Two coyotes have been spotted at my parents house in AV in the last few weeks. One by my brothers friend, another by me. I was letting the dog out to do his business, and sure enough he starts sniffing like CRAZY..he starts to work his way to the side of the house and out of my view. I figure he was getting wind of a rabbit or squirrel, but sure enough I get around the corner and he is about 10 ft from a mature coyote. The coyote didnt even run away at first sight of me, not until I yelled for my dog to heal did it bolt. My dog (40lb brittany)was probably looking to play, and the coyote was probably looking for a meal. I'm glad I did actually follow him around the corner of the house. When I was in my late teens I used to deliver pizzas, and I would see numerous coyotes late at night in all areas of AV, also I have seen a number of foxes. Be carefull of your pets at night! I remember a story on the news last year of a german shephard getting attacked by a coyote in Eagan, and that dog was like 70 lbs!!

I am just finishing sighting in my AR-15, whare'a Apple Valley ??? grin.gif

Just kidding, but I remember last year I saw a huge coyote at exit of I35 past Buck Hill, he ran away from my truck and entered one of the culverts on the ramp.

I believe you CANNOT shoot in a residential area or city limits unless you have a permit, I will check regs but ask a CO before any gunfire.

My sister-in-law in Rochester walked out of her home into the attached garage a couple weeks ago, and there was a coyote standing there. It stayed there long enough for her to phone her husband inside who came out and scared it off. She now plans to start closing the big garage door... shocked.gif

I saw one last Saturday at noon in a plowed field about a mile north of St. Stephen (15 miles N of St. Cloud). He was not scared of me, but looked my way. He was a big guy. I'd say we have a problem if you see them in the day and are not scared of people.

About a year ago I was driving on Boone Avenue just north of Hwy 55 (Golden Valley) - this is an light-industrial/residential area and saw a mature yote loping down the railroad tracks. They are everywhere.

TJ

I've had them in my back yard area in Minnetonka and there's also lots of foxes there. I saw a road killed coyote on Highway 7 in Tonka a couple weeks ago. Maybe the coyotes will eat the foxes and possums. grin.gif

I saw yotes in Eagan as far back as twenty years ago, I would get all camo'd up and sit on a game trail in Lebanon Hills park. I had both red and gray foxes come within 10 ft of me. Those encounters were usually ended when I'd pipe up "Alright, that's close enough". grin.gif

At least a half dozen encounters with yotes in the park, some close, some not so close. Watched a pair play on a frozen lake for twenty minutes one day, they were having a grand ol time. So they've always been around, just getting squeezed into smaller and more human populated habitat.

Had one cross right in front of my truck in Savage about a month ago, right on a neighborhood street by an elementary school. He had a nice coat of fur started for winter. I was thinking that would make a nice icefishing hat. cool.gif

I saw one 2 weeks ago in Brooklyn Park north of 610...there's the Elm Creek Trail system that they live in. I've had one bark at me and my dog in there once...I think she was probably protecting some pups. They are definately around...gotta keep the stray cats under control somehow wink.gif

Ok guys is this possible. I am sitting in my office which is about 3 blocks from COMO park in Saint Paul. A mature Yote just wandered through the parking lot.

I remember reading a story in the Pioneer Planet a couple of years ago, they had a picture of a coyote in a cemetary in highland park, so I would say yes, there are coyotes in Como park....