• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whats wrong with people?

I was up on the gunflint today on a service call. On the way back I blew a tire about 20 miles north of G.M. Very narrow and soft shoulder. I got pulled off as far as I could. I am in the middle of chaning the tire and the third car (none of the first two stopped or even slowed down) slows down and yells at me to "get the hell off the road". Not like you'd wanna ask someone if they were ok, or needed help.

Good thing I couldn't get up fast enough or I woulda thrown the tire tool through his back window.

that's unfortunate wade, glad you made it home safe. some people never learn but it seems the majority of us up here won't hesitate to help someone in need, let alone make their situation worse.

Now now Wade no need for violence man.

Its amazing how many people wont stop to lend a hand. I think it has to do with everyone being worried about liabilty and getting hurt themselves. Yoy know the old stranded motorist trick?

Also you have to realize if you were in a tuff spot to change the tire they were probably in a tuff spot to stop to check on you.

Either way I hope it all worked out and you got home ok. I know Ill stop when I can and at least offer to call some help.

So that was you! Just kidding, I was on Sag all day. These are what we locals call tourists. A couple of years ago I stopped to help a young couple on the trail. They had a flat in a brand new Volvo. Neither one of them new how to change a tire. confused.gifThey did try to tip me 2 whole bucks.

I always have a staff meeting this time of year for new staff. I always tell them that "The Trail" might seem remote and dangerous in the winter, but stay with you vehicle because even though the tourists will drive by without stopping, sooner or later a local will come along and they will stop. (Cabin and summer home residents excluded of course)

Thats what made me so mad...I have changed 10 times more flat tires for others than for myself. I got it changed no problem, was done and back on the road in about 20 minutes. Continued with my day and all is ok.

It just made me mad that not only didn't the guy bother to stop, I never expect anyone will anyway, but for the (Contact Us Please) to yell at me like that, THAT's what pee'd me off.

I will stop to help others whenever I can. I figure someday, I may need help...so I pay it foward so to speak.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Wade, dat thing got a hemi. grin.gif

If I see someone that looks capable of changing his tire and is indeed in the process of doing so I often drive by.

Then again, I know a guy that carries three tire irons but none fit his lug nuts. grin.gif

If I see a stranded car I stop and see if I can lend a hand plus I normally carry tools.

Been there myself and have found someone will stop eventually. While assisting others its not uncommon to have a few other cars stop and to see if the can help too.

So there's still good guys out there.

I feel you Wade, well at least in the past I did...it is just nice to have someone offer a helping hand. Two years ago I drove by a chick who had just put her car into the snowbank. It was a hard bank and the car was hung up. So, I stopped to help. While I was pushing, I lost my footing and dislocated my knee. What pain! It gets better...after limping to my truck another dude had stopped and asked if I had a strap, which I did. He hooked it up to her bumper, as I was in agony in the driver seat, so after he gave the thumbs up; I put my truck in reverse and jerked her rear bumper off. He had hooked the strap to a plastic bumper! This girl screamed and hollered at me...not good! I hobbled over to the car, put her bumper in her trunk and re-hooked the strap; I didn't even get a smile after we freed her car. So, now I make sure everyone is ok and will offer to call someone but that is it. Not worth the liability and not to mention the personal danger. Glad you made it out of there ok...

Ya I will usually say Im not responsable for any breakage or have the car owner hook up the strap.Most times people dont want to wait for a tow or pay for one. New cars suck to pull out. Thers no place to put a strap.

Quote:

Then again, I know a guy that carries three tire irons but none fit his lug nuts.
grin.gif

Not any more! grin.gif Aren't you glad I was only 30 miles down the road instead of 90?

I had two incidents last year. Once, my car broke down 20 miles from Ely and I had to walk/hitch home. I had my thumb out a lot of the time, and more than 50 vehicles passed me. It was the middle of winter, about 10 degrees. They were almost all locals, as this was between Babbitt and Ely and at that time of year. Finally, who drives by but Chunkytrout and gives me a lift home.

About a month after that, I was lollygagging, looking at a group of ravens, and stuck my right front tire off the shoulder of a narrow gravel road. Four-wheel-drive couldn't quite do it. Started walking and got to the Fernberg. Seventeen cars ignored me before I finally made it to Red Rock Outfitters, where Joe Jr. heard my story, got on the phone, took me on the back of his snowmobile to a buddy nearby who has a monster truck with tire chains and tow chain, and they had me out in two shakes of a Ford's tail. And they were about to go ice fishing when I walked up, so they even put that off to help me out.

You just never know about the next person you meet. Could be a Samaritan, could be a devil. Sorry you ran across a devil, Wade. I'dve been hot, too.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Oh my, I almost forgot about the Chunky to the rescue picture.

flintstone.jpg

it's "rare" for Cheffrey to come up with something that clever. grin.gif I'll stop now. tongue.gif

"Well" he's probably "done" with this thread.

Don't worry, the actions of others will not change me and I will continue to stop to assist others in need.

been there stuck in odd places an at odd times..

i carry a coffin hoist... alot of heavy rope/cable

get ya outta alot of jams

when gone for a week on the trails..posthole digger tags along with me with my axe

add rope..axe..posthole digger an hoist..

*hint* dig hole for the post so the post leans away from the car/truck like 60 degrees..give ya better more secure anchor

just somethin i learned form an old woodsman

great for spring,summer an fall...winter is a pain since ground is frozen