• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Torn ACL

wrshog

Well Breezer (2.5 yr old black lab) did it this weekend. He blew out his ACL. I did a search and got some information on the TPLO surgery to repair it. My vet recommended a vet in Inver Grove Heights. I talked to him for a while and he recommended another procedure called the TTA (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement). The results are about the same for both procedures with a bit shorter recovery time for the TTA. The TPLO is $2500 and the TTA is $2600. I am in need of a good surgeon to talk to. Any recommendations would be appreciated. There has to be someone out there doing these types of procedures for less.

Call Dakota Animal Clinic in Watertown SD, and talk to DR Gene Kluck. He will give you the most honest answer. Very good surgen. CAJ

my old partner (police K9)had TPLO surgery at Affiliated Emergency Vet Clinic in Eden Prairie. they have a couple of different offices in the cities. His surgury was done by Laura Rassmussen, as far as im concerned one of the greatest vets around. in 6 weeks he was back up and at work.

My lab blew hers 2 years ago and is fine now. He said it the chances are about 40 percent she would blow her other one or the same one again. If I remember right, he said something about heredity. It costed around 500 bucks. Just a local vet.

I just had the TPLO surgery done on my WPG at Granite City Pet Hosp, very happy with the service and results. He had the surgery about 10 weeks ago and seems to be back to normal. The surgery was $500.00 less than what you where quoted.

Roger

When my setter was hit by a car he needed a steel plate in his hip. It would have been $2500 at the U of M. My vet in Brainerd recommended I try the Granite City Pet Hospital in St. Cloud as an alternative. They did a great job and it only cost me $750 for the surgury, 4 days stay and a post check up. That was 7 years ago though but it may be worth a shot. Good luck.

I know I've had 7 good hunting years with him since that time and I'm glad I didn't take the advice of a few people I knew that said to just put the dog down.

ccarlson

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. After speaking with a number of surgeons this morning I have chosen Dr. Pete at Chisago Lakes Veterinary Hospital in Lindstrom. Breezer goes under the knife Monday morning and will be back home on Tuesday if all goes well with his exam and surgery. Boy is he going to be p'ed off at me when he doesn't get to hunt anymore this year.

Our lab (10 yrs old now) tore both of his 3 yrs ago opening weekend. We had the TPLO procedure done on both. He's hunted the last 2 seasons with the 3rd just around the corner (Kansas) with no problems at all. We also put him on a diet with him droping from 89-90 lbs to 72-73lbs.

When your dog tore the ACL what symptoms/signs did they show? I got back from a 3 day grouse trip and my setter has been limping since. She shows no sign of pain other than the limp. There is little swelling and no deformity.

jb,

The first symptoms were a favoring of the rear leg that would last a matter of minutes, usually until he got excited or warmed up. It progressively took him longer to walk normal. He also started to sit to one side with a leg out as opposed to straight up. I was never able to identify the source of the pain until I squeezed the back of his knee on the inside of his leg. I was only able to get him to "yip" a little one time when he was really showing an aversion to putting weight on it. It would not bother him for months at a time and then out of the blue he would favor it. This went on for over a year. The actual full blow out was easy to identify, he has not put weight on it for 5 days now. I will find out if he has miniscus damage on Monday, which would be a result of waiting to long to have it repaired. The vet can usually make a good preliminary diagnosis with out x-rays and the office visit for me was around $40. They see a lot of them. Get it checked out as soon as you can. If it is ligament damage the sooner you know the better the outcome. Good luck.

My Lab mix had the TPLO done in June. The only sign with him was the limp. He's limped before for a few days from over doing it, but this one didn't go away and after about 3 weeks he started to barely touch the tip of that paw to the ground and was pretty much walking on 3 legs. Then we knew it was something more serious. Poor guy had quite the ordeal. Three weeks after surgery 2 screws ended up coming loose and he had to walk around with 2 loose screws in his leg for 2 months until they thought it was healed enough to pull them. He's a lot happier now.

My girlfriend brought my dog to the vet friday. Had some Xrays taken and figured out it was only inflamation in her shoulder. She is now on vacation for a month. At least there is Deer Hunting wink.gif

I had a 7 year old female Black Lab tear her ACL about 5 years ago. It was tough to hear the clicking noise. I brought her in and they told me it would be 750 to fix it if they did it in BRD and 1800 at the U of M. We chose the 750. She did fine the next year, except she tore her other ACL. We chose not to do anything. She struggled for about 6 months, because we limited her running. We dropped her weight down to about 55lbs from 65. She ended up being ok for the next 3 years, with limited hunting. It was tough on her to not be able to go all out. More so on me the owner.

When my Britt tore her ACL she could not use her rear leg at all.

Limping and swaying is often a sign of arthritis in the joints or sore ligaments and muscles.

ACL surgery was about $650 in 1998. She was hunting well that fall. No signs of ACL recovery, but she did get sore in the hip joint.

Well Breezer had the TTA surgery last week Monday and is doing GREAT! In fact too well. He is putting weight on the leg and just wants to go! It's difficult to harness the energy and drive. One more week and we can start walking him. I have been impressed so far but it's very early in the process. He goes in for his first set of follow up x-rays on Friday. I have to remember to ask the vet about the effects of cold on the titanium plate? Is he more succeptable to frost bite now??? I'll let you know what I find out.

Quote:

Well Breezer had the TTA surgery last week Monday and is doing GREAT! In fact too well. He is putting weight on the leg and just wants to go! It's difficult to harness the energy and drive. One more week and we can start walking him. I have been impressed so far but it's very early in the process. He goes in for his first set of follow up x-rays on Friday. I have to remember to ask the vet about the effects of cold on the titanium plate? Is he more succeptable to frost bite now??? I'll let you know what I find out.

Dont worry about the titanium plate getting cold.

I broke both my legs and pelvis racing snocross and had rods, plates, and screws put in both legs and pelvis and I can't even tell they are there.

If only I was able to shake the pain so quickly.... LOL

Be sure to keep that dog under the control the Vet suggests.

I have a chocolate lab that has had the ACL surgery 3 times on one leg and once on the other. I honestly wondered if I should put her down during that last event. When she has blown the ACL, its been completely blown to the point where she walked on 3 legs. I didnt know if this was going to be ongoing or what.

Its been tough on her and tough on us.

Its been almost 3 years since her last surgery, and she has a distinct and noticeble "trot". The vet said that leg that has had 3 surgeries is going to be stiffer due to scar tissue build up. She is doing very good now.

Just be sure to do your best to keep control of your buddy. I will never forget the day that Shea took off after a squirrel only days after her ACL surgery. I was just absolutely SICK watching her tear off at full speed with that bald leg. Dogs don't know pain like we do. I learned that clearly that day. We dont know if that episode had something to do with another need for surgery, but it was a tough first 2 years of her life indeed.