• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tractor plow or snow blower

setterguy

Question

I have a typical suburban driveway, two wide at the street, three at the garage. I am trying to decide between a blade for my riding lawn mower or a good snowblower. The blade is much cheaper 200 vs. 600.00 but looks like it might be more pain than its worth. Anyone have any input on the tractor blades? Can they handle 6-8 inches of snow? How does the tractor handle slippery conditions? Thanks in advance.

17 answers to this question

My neighbor has a blade on his lawn mower tractor. Small tractor, small blade. No chains on the tractor. He doesn't remove the mower deck. It's basically worthless.

I have a blade on my atv and I'll do the end of his driveway if there's any accumulation at all (or he shovels it). With a bigger tractor, chains, and no mower deck he'd do better, but from how hard I push with my atv I just can't imagine a lawn mower tractor being very good at pushing snow.

Another neighbor has a snow blower on the front of his lawn mower tractor, that thing kicks butt and takes names.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I do have a 22 horse power tractor but would hate to wreck the thing moving snow. I think I'll be snowblower shopping this weekend.

Blower all the way. You don't get enough speed with a tractor to make a blade work decent. I assume for $600 you are talking about a walk behind blower not one for your tractor?

Correct, a walk behind. I looked at the attachement for the mower and its over 1k. I already have a plow for my pickup that I could use but don't want the hassle of hooking and unhooking for just one driveway. Thanks for the replies guys.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a blade and thrower attachment on my tractor. It'll push an unbelievable amount of snow. Its a 1968 Sears Craftsman and weighs a ton with power till no end. The blade, thrower, mow deck, and tractor came as a package that was too good of a deal to turn down.

My biggest concern with the newer tractors is the drive system. I don't know if they would stand up to pushing big loads. Using the blade is faster without a doubt. Biggest drawback is if you don't have a big enough area to put snow you'll run out of run. If I were to start over I'd have the blade and a walk behind snow thrower. I say that because the thrower attachments are expensive. Plus I'm in an area that having a backup to remove snow its important and I've lost my license to shovel. I'm on a dead end road and snow removal is contracted out which isn't reliable. I'll often plow or blow the road after I've finished the driveway.

Other than that, throw an ad in the StarTrib right now and you should be able to move that plow for $1k no problem (unless it's real real old) and you'll have the setup for the blower for your tractor....

Unless you want to sub out some plowing laugh.gif

Get a big walk behind with the throw shute crank handle on the top not by the motor. Its a pain bending over every time you want to adjust the throw direction. Also electric start can be nice but you can do without it. Get chains on it for sure and go as big as you can afford to a point. You dont need one so big and powerfull its shooting your snow into the neighbors yard/drive. Although I have a few neighbors I would like to drift in at times. grin.gif

One other point of view, do you have room to pile the snow if you did use a blade? A blower can put it almost anywhere in the yard out of the way. Just a thought. grin.gif

I have a walk behind with a remote at the top for the auger direction.Its only at 8 hp and it will throw the snow far enough all winter so the piles dont become a problem.With the electric start,chains,lights and remote thrower it all went for 1200 new.If you didnt want to spend quite that much I am sure you could find a good used one for less.

snow blower for sure. I have a 4 wheeler with a plow for my driveway in the country. if I moved to town (never) I'd sell the blade for a good snowblower!!

I have a similar suburban driveway and it doesn't take a very large snow blower to take care of it. Sure I would like a large Toro, Ariens or an JD blower attachment (GT235) but they just aren't needed. I've been using a smaller Sears Craftsman (22" IIRC) 2 stage which works great most of the time and sometimes I do have to slow down, but so what! At $500-$600 it's a lot less than $1400 for a large 2 stage.

I'd even go a step further and say a single stage is plenty....especially with the winters we've had lately.

You could do what I did ,,,I got a quad with a blade for myself and a big honkin snowblower for my wife ,,,I make a swath with the blade and she follows behind and blows it into the yard (no she isnt for rent) both have their good point but if You can only choose one get a blower

Randoid

Quote:

One other point of view, do you have room to pile the snow if you did use a blade? A blower can put it almost anywhere in the yard out of the way.

This is what I was thinking when I read your post. Do you have enough room in your yard / etc to push the snow? Most cities don't appreciate one pushing their snow out of their driveway into the road.

marine_man

I run a 46" blade on an 18hp MTD tractor and I do the neighborhood with it. Plenty of power, I do have chains and I am a pretty good size guy so traction is not a problem except with slush. Moving snow up to 10" is not much of a problem and I do have enough room to push off to the sides, I clear an area big enough to park four trucks. When Banks do get high I then use a snow thrower to widen. Blade is faster and more fun to ride then to walk behind getting a face full of snow. Don't know why you would leave the deck on they come off easy enough. If you have a gravel area better to plow then toss rocks everywhere. Two passes takes care of the sidewalks, I do the neighbors, keeps them happy and they have a hard time complaining about my dogs or grand kids then ! smirk.gif