• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nov Full Moon

rodmaker

With mixed reports lately, is it worth "crankin" the Nov Full Moon. If so,are the "Eyes" in shallow water??? less than 5 ft?? confused.gif

I'll be crankin and spankin the full moon of Nov. I typically will run the first pass in 14' then 12' then 10' and then 8' but usually do well enough in the 10-12' range that I never make it to the shallow water. The nice thing about the November bite is many are out to deercamp and have put the open water rigs away already. I think that it is the best time of the year bar none to stick a trophy fish. The cold and the hunting definately keeps people off the water and that helps those big girls to move in and wallop some cranks! cool.gif

Tunrevir~

The shallow bite should continue until the water temps reach the high 30's, it's mid 40's now.

It's definitely worth fishing the November full moon. I'll be there for a strectch starting Thursday, November 2.

Team Otter,

Please post your results here. Does anyone fish on the East side??? Agate, Fischer's, or Big Point???

I need one at least 29" for a graphite. Biggest one this year is 27 3/4". I need to make a Cabela's run, give me your top 5 Cranks (sizes) and colors.

Rodmaker.

I should be there, barring any tricks up the old lady's sleeve. With the bite being a little off and it being deer opener, it should be fairly quiet up there.

Top 5:

1. Husky jerk

2. Rattlin Rogue

3. Suspending Rogue

4. Bomber long A

5. Shallow Shad rap

Firetiger, Red Craw, silver and black, perch glass, emerald shiner

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Team Otter,

I need to make a Cabela's run, give me your top 5 Cranks (sizes) and colors.

Rodmaker.

Well for me it's the following during fullmoon periods.

1. #14 HJ in Rainbow(Discontinued) or Clown (Dives 5-6')

2. Thunderstick in Chrome or Perch (Dives 6-7')

3. Suspending Super Rogue in Metalic Firetiger or Chrome/Black (Dives 6-7')

4. #13 Floating Rapala in Chartruese/Shiner (Dives 3-4')

5. #18 Floating Rapala in Clown or Silver/Black (Dives 12')

6. Shallow floating Rattlin Rogue in Firetiger or Chrome/Black.(Dives 2')

I know that's more than 5 but it's tough to narrow it down and still cover water columns that you might find fish in. The later I get into the fall, the bigger lures I find to be more effective.

Good Luck!

Willy & Borch,,

Thanks for the recommendations on the Cranks. The #18 floating Rapala dives 12' ??. Any recommondations on where to start fishing ?? I was thinking Agate, Fischers, or lakeside??? confused.gif

What areas would you suggest?? confused.gif

This is going to sound kind od stupid (I have never done this before on the Pond). But what time do you usually head out?

Any general rules as to what color to start with? Or how long before you start to change colors

Rodmaker

I doubt any original rapala will dive to 12' ft. without a ton of line out by itself.

Weedlines of the north and west sides. Rocks whereever you like. Lakeside, Hunters, bigpoint, are fine. There are lots of good areas. Go out of whichever direction the wind is out of is my advice. There are fish all over the lake, might as well make it an easy relaxing night, rather than fight big waves in the dark. Kinda sounds like the NW side is the place to be right now, but that is more than likely where people have been fishing because the wind has been out of that direction alot lately. Cold!

I must of been having a moment. The original #18 will dive 8-10' with 100' of braid out. The #13 jointed rapala will dive 12'. I use them both and sometimes get the diving depth mixed up.

Another thing with the floating rapalas is that some will have very tight wobble but dive deeper and others will have a wider wobble but dive shallower. This will at times result in a significant difference in diving depth with the same brand/size lure. If you have one of those that don't wobble much at slower speeds bend the lure eye down towards the lip a little bit. This will give the lure a more pronounced wobble. Bend the eye up if you want a tighter wobble and more depth. After doing this you may need to also tune it for left or right.

Places to go. You'll find fish in and around remaining weed beds, rocky structure or even on sand breaks right now. Where ever you decide to go get there a bit early to scout it out. Don't ignore shoreline either. They are there as well. I've talked to guys who fished the eastside Oct full moon and saw several eyes close to shore in less than a foot of water while using their spotlight coming into shore to land the boat.

Slow is usually the way to go right now. Also don't be afraid to bump the motor into neutral every once and a while. Some nights it's essential in triggering strikes.

Good Luck!

Yes, trolling speeds should be 1.0 to 1.5 mph this time of year.

Probably not but it depends on your setup. But if you have one I'd bring it along. A 4' chunk of rope with a 5 gallon bucket, with a few holes drilled in the botton tied to your boat will do in a pinch. Trolling speeds of anywhere from 1.2 - 2.0 mph with the water temps where they're at. If you can troll down somewhere in that zone you should be fine. My friends 75 merc with his 17 ft crestiner trolled down to 1.7 mph this past week with calm conditions.

Borch,

Thanks again. I have an Alumicraft 185 Competitor. How long do you go before changing colors?? Any "rule of thumb" on colors for trolling at this time of the year ??

The last week in October and the first few weeks in November, up to freeze up are generally my best fishing. A lot less boat pressure and fish get bunched up in particular spots. Trolling speeds get to be 1.0 mph and less.

Anyone out there!!

What colors,(any general rules) and how long do you go before changing.

As far as rule of thumb for colors go. Generally when the moon is out and bright lures with flash excell. So you'll see me use a lot of crome, clown or silver sided baits.

As far as how long? That's more a personal choice and how much confidence you have in a lure. I'll change lures more frequently when fishing alone looking for that "hot bait". When I'm fishing with a partner I don't have to switch as often because you have two people changing things up.

I'm more apt to change lures because of depth changes. I'll troll for an 45 minutes to an hour at one depth. If nothing goes I'll try deeper or shallower.

I generally post my reports from Mille Lacs on this forum or on my website. If it's not one, it's the other but often times both.

As for cranks, these would be my Top 5:

1. #12 HJ in Tennessee Shad

2. #13 Original Floating Rapala in Fire Tiger

3. #9 Salmo Minnow in Trout or Real Roach

4. #5 Salmo Hornet in Pearl Orange

5. #7 Shallow Runnin' Shad Rap in Clown or Perch

As for location, early in the fall I focus on the E end rocks between Picard Point and Agate Bay and then as the season wears on, I generally shift over to the N end sand between Knox Point and Malmo and the NW corner between Wealthwood and Garrison where there are some nice weed to rock transitions.

I have been perch fishing on the pond ( with good results ) over the last couple of weeks and tried for the first time fishing eyes this time of year. we only got in about 1 1/2 hours because of weather and i have been reading posts on lures and depths etc. but i was curious if everyone is using boards or just straight lining( i am a rookie at fishing this way) and how much line to typically let out. obviously it depends on the lure but could someone give some examples such as #12 hj with braided line. do you try and find a long stretch of water to troll at the same depth or do you normally set your depth with your bait and troll over different depths sometimes knocking the bottom and sometimes being suspended in the rocks? or do you change baits and line length to always knock the bottom? i also have a 80 lb t. motor so i can use that for quite a while to troll does this mean i could straight line in shallow without spooking the fish too much? thanks for any tips

If you knocking bottom while fishing rocks you'll spend a lot of time and money in lost lures. I try to be in the lower half of the water column I'm fishing. Not always necessary as the eyes sometimes suspend and if they're aggressive they'll chase a high bait. But you can't always count on that.

I generally run 70-120' of line out. Length depends on lure selection, depth and what the fish want. Using boards is an unecessary hassle at night. You really want to simplify as things can go bad at night.

Whether you use the big motor or the trolling motor fish will spook some up shallow depending on conditions. Often running a longer line will help deal with that as fish will filter back in after the boat goes through. The longer the line the more chance more fish will filter back in.

As far as where to troll you're looking for stretchs that have irregularities but an edge you can still follow somewhat.

Team Otter,

Thanks for the info. So if I get this right, the full moon, you should head North Near Malmo and troll from there North??. Depths to start at. Agate not a good choice at that time?? Any suggestions - anyone on a depth to start at?? 12 ft and work in shallow?????

Rodmaker.

Between Malmo and Barnacle Bill's is a good stretch. Look in 2 - 7' of water and make sure you're moving slow. I would suspect by next weekend it will take 0.8 - 1.2 mph to put most of the fish in the boat.

Team Otter,

Thanks!!! Hopefully I can get someone to go. I had a friend cancel because of health issues. What should I start out with as far as cranks??

#7 and #9 Shallow Shad Raps would be a good starting point and then work your way up to the larger stick baits such as a #10 or #12 Husky Jerk or a #13 Original Floating Rapala.

Thanks again Team Otter.

Just curious, are you full Sat 11/4??

Where can I launch from if I start there??

I have your color choices from an earlier post.

Is that where your'e heading?? Don't worry, I'm not one of those who gets on top of someone if they are on a spot or area. I'll keep my distance from anyone out there.

No problem. Happy to help.

I will be fishing with a good friend of mine on Saturday, November 4 but I would still have an open seat if you're interested.

Barnacle Bill's, The Red Door and Malmo Public are all good places to launch.

I'm staying at The Red Door and will more than likely be launching there. I would suspect I'll be up towards Garrison or near Malmo.

Team Otter,

Thanks though.

Go ahead, I'll give my Brother-In-Law a call this weekend. Fishing with good friends are Priceless!!! What time do you usually head out and get started??