• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Get Togethers - Ice Fishing

Matt Johnson

Pike, I got an idea that come early ice we should just take a day of vacation on a nice enough day and hit some waters. Just to get out is a good enough reason. I've got a couple of extra days and work won't miss me (much I hope).

G-man, I as well have a ton of time available to burn so that is a great idea. I also have my new little toy for the ice. I got that used 1996 skidoo to get me around on the hard water and a aluminum tilt trailer. So I need some practice.

It starts fine on the second or third pull but that is in my garage. The other issue will be pulling the sucker of the trailer as no reverse. Oh well just excited to add another toy to the mix.

Hey guys, im new to the area for ice fishing, i lived in fargo for three years, and st. cloud before that. used to fishing devils and red, and the sip'. if anyone can steer me in the right direction to a lake that i could maybe set up a few tip ups and jig for some pan fish, maybe even an eye once in awhile that would be awesome. i def want to get in on some of these get togethers to meet ppl around here. also...what are the ice conditions like around the area lakes? getting super excited for the season. thanks a lot guys!

As usual, I try to attend as many of the get-togethers as possible. If not at one of them I'm usually on Medicine although I did give Linwood some time last season.

I'm always up for fishing with MedicineMan so that one is probably a for sure. Anything early will also be appreciated as I need to get everything organized and having a date on the calendar usually propels me forward!

MnFish and MetroJoe drop me an e-mail if you are headed out and I'll see about tagging along if possible. Count my son in as well as he is itching to get fishin!

I do have a young lab that needs some time in the field so that may be the only thing that holds me back during December and that is dependent on the snow depths.

Tripleplay and jr

Quote:

was surprised by the size and quantity of the crappies with many in the 11 and 12 inch class. The other surprise was the number of 12-16 inch walleye. I did some research on the DNR site to help me understand why. They have been doing annual stocking of 250,000 fry since the mid 90's and in 2000 they put in 1 million and in 2004 2 million eyes. Very impressive numbers for a lake under 300 acres with a max depth of 20 feet. The other impressive thing of note is that 80% of the crappie from gill or trap nets were 9-14" fish.

Too much info. frown.gif

I know where you are talking about. I plan on trying it out on Friday, should be out there around 11:00am. It can get pretty busy out there. Also Peltier has 4" on it and fishing is going on out there also laugh.gif

Pike- if you wouldn't mind another with his own gear, Id like to join the festivities, meet other hookslingers. (any excuse to go fishing after work!) drop me a note at gpbakken at gmail

Grant

Ron- Maybe my fingers did get a bit agressive and share more then they should. Sorry about that. If you get out on Thursday I hope you have success. I will most likely not get out until the following weekend but this body of water is on my list. Let me know how you do on lake x

Grant- Maybe I will see you on the hardwater this winter. There is a West metro lake that gets alot of my attention due to the great consistant panfish action. I also spend some time early in the year chasing the eyes and some time in the St. Cloud area as there are some great little lakes in that area that do not get much traffic.

One area in St. Cloud that everyone should try at some point for Catfish is the horseshoe chain. Great fun pulling in the Cats and there is usually an annual FM get together there as well

Mr Pike1 If you have time this weekend mnfishinguy and I are planning an early ice adventure. I know I had your email at one time, but I can't seem to find it. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the details. [email protected]

Metro, the best way to reach me is my work e-mial as I do not check the home one very often.

[email protected]

Are you and MNfish looking to hit that one lake that was on the top of my list?

Ive done a little investigation and it doesnt seem like the lake was topsecret to start with. I might give the lake a shot saturday.

If you are really upset people are going to find "your" lake, the first thing I'd do is edit the post so as to not repeat the info and draw attention to it, and then the original poster follow suit. my $0.02

I did not consider this "my lake" and I never referred to it as so, but I did decide to switch things up a bit.

TurnUpTheFishing or Mr. Pike1,

I think I know lake X. I have fished it a couple times during the winter and have had minimal luck. I am hoping to get out there this year and figure that lake out. Are you guys heading out there on Saturday? I am going go be heading out somewhere this Saturday. I am looking for someone to head out with this Saturday. Shoot me an email if you want to meet up this weekend and hit the ice [email protected]

Matt

I'm going out on Peltier tomorrow(Fri). Then to either lake x (your right it isnt a secret )or another even smaller(64acres) lake x. grin.gif or little lake.<--- excellent fish numbers on Sunday.

Well, I fished "lake X" for the first time saturday, anyone else out there? I can see why people complained about not having much luck. I marked fish but only managed to pick up a few crappies and walleyes, Lots of lookers and a few light bites. For the most part the size was nothing to brag about.

Soo...do we need ice for Ice Fishing Metro Get Togethers? With the way ice is going, we could all say we are going fishing and just go to Hooters instead... I'm leaving the portable at home, though, to just sit on my bucket. "Fishing" should be good, catching might not.

Just let me know Matt when you are going to do it and I will be there. I have wanted to target some of those snot rockets there. If you want to go there sometime before the event just give me a call.

• 1 month later...

Hay Matt it's been a while since Bald Eagle, are you still planning a gathering at Rush? I live in Princeton now and that's a short trip for me.

Yep, Rush Lake on February 17. Should be a excellent time for a multi-specie bite too. It would be nice to see you again, it's been a while.

I'll post more info as we get closer to the date...

Anyone up for a get together on Waconia this year? I don't know how good I would be at being the "master planner" but I would certainly be willing to help out if anyone wanted to take the helm.

Kylersk and I are discussing the possibility of an FM get-together on Waconia next Saturday.

Any interest in such a get-together?

never fished it before, how thick is the ice, definately interested (I need to get out again), who wants to tell my wife? shocked.gif

actually I would interested in a gathering.

ive noticed a lot of the get-togethers are west and north metro lakes. hows about we get something set up for south-east metro lake like phalen or gervais or lake elmo even though it is a difficult lake. then maybe i can make a day of it. i know if i go there will at least be a lot of little pannies.

Quote:

never fished it before, how thick is the ice, definately interested (I need to get out again), who wants to tell my wife?
shocked.gif

actually I would interested in a gathering.

Ice is very good on most of the lake. 16" everywhere I have been lately.

Bring your wife along, or if you need I could write you a hall pass. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, any room for a newbie? I'm relatively new to the area from the New England where we usually ice fish with a spread of tip-ups so I'm a little lost here. I got a portable shelter, auger and flasher along with jigging tackle but I could sure use the company in getting started. confused.gif

The Get Togethers are open to everyone. No need to register or anything like that. Just show up and join in the fun! smile.gif

Gene- like Matt said.. they are open to all.. Its just nice to show up, maybe pick up a few tips from others.. maybe see how they have their stuff rigged up.. and see how different people fish.. And its just fun to chit chat in person with people you only see on-line usually.

I have had a blast at every event I have ever been to.

Thanks Guys I will try to make it... I'm assuming you guys are driving trucks on to where you are fishing at this point in the season or?

As I am slowly understanding the ice fishing season, at this point in the season, walleye bite has dropped off in most lakes, while pan fish is coming on and pike bite will continue to get better as we near ice out? I know that s a generalization and each lake will be somewhat different but is that a fair statement?

So on Rush most likely looking for pan fish with a pike possibility?

Thanks Again!