• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mallard parasite?

Can someone tell me what is the parasite that looks white/tan about the size of a grain of rice. About 30-40 in the breast of a mallard. The only one in the group we shot - is the meat safe?

The people i know call this rice brest but i couldn't tell you the scientific name but they say that it is fine to eat if you can get the image out of your head while eating it. They say it dosent taste any different and they havent gotten sick so looks like a go.

I've seen the ones outside in the feathers, but not in the actual meat; is this one in the meat?

Quote:

is the meat safe?

so I'm told, but you won't see me eating that!!!

Yes in the meat. Took the fat layer off and noticed the rice like parasites just inside the meat. There was honestly like 40-50 little worm rice looking things in them. We decieded not to eat it - I just could not think about eating these after seeing them. I could not wash my hands fast enough.

its a shame that some birds end up like that but id rather be safe than sorry. . . .