• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4 Stroke Oil

eelpout#1

Question

I know it's probably been posted and discussed before, but...Those of you who have 4-stroke motors and do your own maintenance, what do you use for crankcase oil? My dealer said to use only the Yamaha or Mercury oil, but (get this) my nieces boyfriend worked for the same dealer and he told me that when they do an oil and filter change, they use Havoline 10W-30. My motor is a 2004 Yamaha 90. As far as I know my warantee is long gone. Oh wise ones, does it make any difference?

thanks in advance

tc

10 answers to this question

I use the Amsoil 4 stroke marine oil and Im very happy with it. I also use their lower unit oil.

I have a 2003 Yamaha F90, and the dealership that I bought my boat at told me to just use regular motor oil. I emailed the Valvoline help desk and asked them if their oils were suitable for use in four stroke motors and was told that they absolutely were and would not void any four stroke warranties.

In regard to your warranty, your particular situation may be different, but when I bought my boat and motor, it came with a 3 year warranty...if that is still the case, yours should still be under warranty.

I know the service manager of one of the big marine stores I asked him the same question and if I should use any sythentics or specific motor brand oil. He said to use regular oil and that was all one really needed.

I get mine right at Amsoil since they are based out of Superior Wi. where I live.

Otherwise try a search on Amsoil and they can tel ya where by you.

Fleet Farm around here has some Amsoil in stock for $5.00-$5.50 a quart, but I'm not sure they have all the types.

I use their 5w-20 in my Accord and I have been very pleased with it.