• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kickers

Down to Earth

What do you guys all use for a kicker? I've read some on the Yamaha T8 as well as the Merc Pro Kicker. What are the pros and cons of each? Is it more like a Ford v. Chevy thing? Also, what about the Suzuki's and Johnson's?

Thanks.

I don't have one, but the t-8s in the boats i have fished in were excellent. The boat with a merc 4 stroke kicker that i was in was noticeably louder than the t-8. Other than that they are both great.

My dad's boat has a 9.9hp 2-stroke Mariner kicker and my previous boat had a 9.9hp 2-stroke Merc kicker and we really like/liked them both. The spring of every year they'd fire on the second or third pull and ran great all season long. Noise didn't seem to matter at all because we've caught lots and lots of walleyes using our 2-stroke kicker motors.

My new/used boat now....it has a Yami main motor so I'll be getting a Yami T-8 in the future. tongue.gif

P.S. - I think it's pretty much a Ford/Chevy thing....they're both extremely good I'm sure.

The Yamaha T-8 is great. You hardly know it is running. We ground down the prop to slow it down even more so we could get down to about .5 MPH trolling speed. No problems what so ever in the 4 years we had the boat.

I just bought a new non-current 2005 F8. I assume this will have the same powerhead as the T8 with different gearing? Won't be able to test out till spring though.

My kickers have always been Merc 4-strokes, I currently have a Pro Kicker. One of the guys I fish with a lot has a T-8. Both motors are great, both of us would happily take either one. You can't tell a difference when they're running, they both purr like kittens and never miss a beat. Same goes for the Merc kickers I had before my Pro Kicker.

The Pro Kicker has some nice features, fast power trim, centering straps so you don't have to lock the motor into position, and twist-grip shifting true 1-handed operation. The Pro Kicker runs about $500 more than a T-8 does though.

I can't tell you anything about Suz kickers, and some Johnson's have a reputation for running rough. They're probably fine, but personally I would go with a T-8 or a Pro Kicker and never look back.

Good luck.

Quote:

I assume this will have the same powerhead as the T8 with different gearing?

That's correct.. the only difference between the F8 and the T8 are the lower unit, and more specifically, the gearing in the lower unit and the prop.

marine_man

Thanks for the insight Marine Man. I have the motor in my basement now till spring. I haven't hooked up any gas or water to it to start it, as it is there till spring. I did however notice that pulling the rope to start it is harder than I thought. How hard should a manual start 8hp be? Been awhile since I had a manual start. Thanks for any thoughts on this. Also sorry to hijack this thread, just would like this one answer. Thank you, Junky...

It shouldn't pull super hard... did you try pulling on the rope with it laying down, or in the up position? Is the motor in gear?

I think it'll be lighter than you think when it's mounted to your boat... it's hard to hold onto the motor and pull the rope at the same time.

marine_man

Quote:

It shouldn't pull super hard... did you try pulling on the rope with it laying down, or in the up position? Is the motor in gear?

I think it'll be lighter than you think when it's mounted to your boat... it's hard to hold onto the motor and pull the rope at the same time.

marine_man

Thanks MM. I made a wood stand for it so it is in the running position. Was in nuetral. I'm thinking it will pull easier when broken in a bit? I made sure the throttle was also in the start position thinking it would get easier, but made no difference. Maybe I'm just gettin' weaker in my old age. grin.gif A break in might help in the future. Again, thanks for your reply. Junky....

I have been told that an F8 is not the same as a T8 if you are looking to use it as a kicker. I think it has got something to do with how it actually performs. I think the T8 gives thrust. Also, I think the prop is different too. I did toy with the idea of getting a normal low hp 4 stroker as a kicker before as they were cheaper. In any case, when you try it out, let us know how it works.

Also, I have been told that a 4 stroke is a little harder to pull or manual start than a 2 stroke. I am not sure of the exact reason. But as long as it starts within the first pull or so, it should be fine. I have tried a pull start honda 4 stroke and I absolutely hate it. Takes like 10-20 pulls to start it and by then, I am done for. Granted, it was a rental 4 stroke, but still...not what I would expect.

I don't know anything about this "T8" that you guys are talking about, but what I can tell you is that we have a 15 horse four stroke Yamaha kicker for our boat and it works wonderful.

Yamaha T-8 1st off then I would go with the Mercury Pro next. Both are very nice and made for trolling.