• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flashlights and Head Lights

Whats the brightest compact flashlight and headlight?

I currently use this one

371512m.jpg

Item Number 3715121

Description/Name 6V Xenon

Color Description Black

Lamp Type 4.8V 0.9A Xenon

Candle Power 15000

Batteries (2)CR123A Lithium

Battery Life 1.5 Hours

Color of emitted light White

Additional Info 90 Lumens

U.S. Suggested Retail $34.99

If you are in the mood to spend $ 300 for them, get a SureFire.

Otherwise I just bought some Streamlights and I am VERY happy with them.

There are less expensive SureFure actually, check their web site.

Surefires are the way to go if you have the money. Law enforcement use them routinely around these parts and supposedly they are bright enough that they can momentarily blind you if you happen to catch the beam in the eyes. My in law used to sell them.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

I'm a Law enforcement major and one of the guys who is also in the military had a surefire with him today. It looked about the size of a mini mag light. He shined it at me and I made the mistake of looking his way and got it right in the eyes. I was seeing spots for about 10 minutes. I can't believe how bright those things are!! I'm definetly going to have to get one or two of those.

I was looking at the surefires and for the 120 lumens lights, the run time is only 20-40 minutes. Thats like a walk to the deer stand, then change the battery. shocked.gifshocked.gif

I have a surefire that is rechargable - both in the car and household plug-in. It is an awesome light - well worth the cost.

Quote:

Why is your flashlight on all the way to your deerstand???

Umm cause it is dark out!! grin.gif

Quote:

Why is your flashlight on all the way to your deerstand???

For saftey!! Hard as it is to believe, every couple of years a hunter walking to or from their deerstand gets shot by some yahoo - I'm not going to call them a hunter - that shoots at what they think is a deer. Yeah, I can find my deerstand in the dark, but I'm going to protect myself by waving a flashlite around. You're a fool if you don't.

My comment was meant to give a little ribbing. Personally, I like to think I'm in my tree long before any of the lazy, slob hunters are even out of bed. Hence, no need to use my headlamp. wink.gifwink.gif

Just get a green stream light....bright enough to see where your going but the green color won't spook the deer.

I like my mini mag lite, always reliable and very durable. used it for years!

Can't beat the energizer 6 led head lamp with the red led function really illuminates the little twigs that manage to find my face. 14.99 at the depot or menards. I went to gander and they wanted 40 bones for a head lamp. I asked if it walked for me... they didn't find it funny smile.gif

For all of the cheapo's out there: Northern Tool; 4 Wh LED; (2) AAA Incl; Adj Head Band, $6.00 new. You could buy a lot of those and just have them everywhere for the price of a Surefire. 300 bones is a long way into new flipover portable or a new auger. But for the guy who has everything, might be a good gift for christmas. (4)D MagLite works for me; hides in the truck's drivers side map pocket at ALL times.

I will second the green streamlight for the walk to the stand. Plenty bright enough to be seen, up to a mile away, but not as offensive to deer. Best thing is that it'll clip to your cap so you don't have to hold onto it.

For trailing animals, still hard to beat an old coleman lantern. The blood reallys sticks out with those things.

For gutting, and other hands-on work after dark, can't beat a petzl tikka. Way easier on batteries than the others, more durable (mine survived a washer and dryer cycle), and brighter for the money. I also use this one for ice fishing and night-fishing for cats.

Joel

I have the cheapest surefire that is made and it is very bright, but also very hard on those 2.50 batteries that you need two of. To turn it on you can screw the end in or just push the button which is kind of nice, except when you put it in your pocket and the button gets pushed so the next time that you use it the batteries are dead. I also have a cheap energizer LED headlamp that works great and doesn't eat batteries. A headlamp is very nice when you have to gut a deer after it gets dark.

I am on my second princeton tech headlamp and will not use anything other (first one was run over and replaced for free by Princeton Tech). It is waterproof (have used a couple times to go snorkeling at night near the dock), durable, and the batteries dont get burnt up quickly, i can get through deer hunting and ice fishing season generally on 3 sets of AAA's and it only cost me $21.

I'm with ya McGurk. I bought a couple of the headlamps from Northern Tool a long time ago, My son and I use them for deer hunting, ice fishing, camping, and even huntin' crawler's. Very affordable and a great product in my oppinion. BC

There is a 3watt LED head lamp: it is $90. You can find it at Sportsmans Warehouse. It was pretty bright inside the store and when I test fire the lamp, it lit up the are some more. The run time is around 10 hours and it uses regular AA batteries, not the expensive 6Volts.

As for myself, I picked up a pair of 1Watt LED flashlights from Sams and they are brighter than the regular krypton bulb flashlights.

They have the 1Watt LED head lamps at Walmart for $18.88 and uses 3 AAA batteries: included. Wish I'd seen the head lamp first.

When I head out of the treestand at night, out comes the rechargable 1,000,000 candle power spotlight. Yeah, it's over-kill but I am a bit, just a bit, affraid of the dark.

i bought an energizer one for aboot $5 at my local wal-mart. i had a really nice one but lost it. i only bought the energizer one for a week of medallion hunting and to tell ya the truth i think it is better than my old one. it has a high-beam, flood light, high-beam/flood light, and a red night vision setting. i used it for the week but never found the medallion, then used it to finish out icefishing season and throughout the summer and still haven't changed the batteries, it's still bright as ever. i would rather have a ton of $5 ones than a $90 dollar one