• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Labradoodles

kingr

Has anybody hunted over a labradoodle? I need a dog, but the significant other is allergic to them...so I'm making an effort to compromise as much as I can. This is the only breed that will have a chance to get in the house occasionally. Thanks

I would bet they'd be ok being that poodles were orginally bred to be hunters. Mix that with a lab and they might be good. Although i'm not in favor of the breed. I see breeders selling these "mutts" for $5-600. Can't see myself spending that much on a mix breed. But, whatever works i guess.

If she is truly,medically, certified to be allergic to dogs then she will be allergic to ANY dog. Please don't buy one....of any breed.You'll be doing some poor little puppy a real favor and sending him/her on to a good home.

Perhaps you might want to buy a nice tiger.

Most animal allergies aren't to the animals themselves but to the dander(dead skin, dust mites, dust, etc.) in the animal's fur. If the dog is bathed thoroughly a couple times a week, animal dander allergies should be in check. I'm no allergist and I don't know the extent of the animal allergy that each person has. I do have seasonal allergies and some food allergies and I've found the best remedy is to "tough it out" til your body adjusts to the allergen. I used to get shots(which are doses of allergen, to get your body used to it) and take Rx and OTC meds. The past two years I've done nothing and this year my allergies were almost non-existant. I have a friend who is allergic to cats and I have a cat. He says that even though his eyes itch and he gets sneezy when he comes over, it's not as bad as a few years ago. I let him suffer because I'm not even going to try and give my cat a bath wink.gif

Hey Kingr,

The Wirehair Pointing Griffon's is another option for you, plus they are a true hunting breed & not a mutt. There is a breeder in your area his name is Mark Drexler & he lives in Duluth. He also goes by Double Griff here at FM. He was possibly going to have some pups on the ground in Nov. a repeat breeding from last year which was the litter I got my pup from.

My best suggestion would be to call him up & take the better half over to meet the dogs & see if she has a reaction to them before comitting to a pup. The Griffon's have hair not fur & are non-shedding dogs. My buddy is allergic to dogs also & he never has reactions around the Griffon. So this might be a better fit for you if your looking for a hunter.

Marks number is 218-310-7156 give him a call.

Good Luck with your search for a pup.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Hey Kingr,

The Wirehair Pointing Griffon's is another option for you, plus they are a true hunting breed & not a mutt. There is a breeder in your area his name is Mark Drexler & he lives in Duluth. He also goes by Double Griff here at FM. He was possibly going to have some pups on the ground in Nov. a repeat breeding from last year which was the litter I got my pup from.

My best suggestion would be to call him up & take the better half over to meet the dogs & see if she has a reaction to them before comitting to a pup. The Griffon's have hair not fur & are non-shedding dogs. My buddy is allergic to dogs also & he never has reactions around the Griffon. So this might be a better fit for you if your looking for a hunter.

Marks number is 218-310-7156 give him a call.

Good Luck with your search for a pup.

Chris

Chris,

Just wondering if you have any first hand experience about the allergy thing with the wirehairs? I have heard this also but not many people seem to talk much about the wirehairs being better for allergy sufferers. I am thinking hard about a griff also. If they would be better for my allergies that would seal the deal.

By the way, how is your pup doing? Did you take him out hunting yet this year?

Thanks,

Dave

What a dumba$$ I am! I just realized that you wrote in your post about your buddy who is allergic. I guess that answers my question.

Sorry,

Dumba$$ Dave

Now I don't know if there is any kind of scientific evidence to support this but I have seen it first hand and was told by my vet, that sometimes two dogs will offset the others dander and sometimes make those that would normally be allergic, have no reaction at all. My wife never reacted to my dads dog until his other one died. now I own my dads dogs sister, and my wife has never had a reaction to her, (we have two dogs). Like I said I don't know if it is coincidence, but my vet did verify that he has also heard of this....

Quote:

Now I don't know if there is any kind of scientific evidence to support this but I have seen it first hand and was told by my vet, that sometimes two dogs will offset the others dander and sometimes make those that would normally be allergic, have no reaction at all. My wife never reacted to my dads dog until his other one died. now I own my dads dogs sister, and my wife has never had a reaction to her, (we have two dogs). Like I said I don't know if it is coincidence, but my vet did verify that he has also heard of this....

Thats wierd! I've never heard of such a thing. But then again, there's a lot of things that I don't know.

BigDave,

The pup "Rudy" is doing great. He is now 18 mo. old. We went out yesterday & downed 1 rooster. Missed plenty of them also! shocked.gif He is just starting to figuring out the wild birds they are moving alot now that they have been pressured. But he is catching on to tracking them when they are on the run. All in all we had about 12 points yesterday with 85% of them being hens. Just couldn't shoot the roosters that did get up due to trucks coming down the road or other hunters crowding me mad.gif

Later,

Chris

Sounds like Rudy is doing great! What area do you normally hunt in? Maybe I could tag along sometime and watch Rudy do his thing and see if he affects my allergies if you wouldn't mind?

Give me an e-mail if you would like to do that.

[email protected]

Thanks

Dave