• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Bird?

Dahitman44

How do you judge when you have a big enough bird to mount? I would like to mount a pheasant, but how do you gage that?

Thanks

Hitman

no gauge...personal preference. Look for full coloring first and a decent sized tail after that.

the size of the spurs also indicates an older bird but that doesnt always mean that its good looking

There really isn't any "Standard."

If it's cool looking and you want it mounted then go to taxidermy.

Doesn't matter how big. If you want to do it then do it. I do mounts more for the memory of the outings. Most of my taxidermy mounts have a memorable story behind them (3 ducks in 2 shots or 3 pheasants in 10 seconds etc...) so they aren't necessarily the largest specimens I've taken.

You might want to think about what type of mount you want too. I wanted at least two birds on a platform, one flying and one running through some cattails, but because of cost I was going to do only one per year for two seasons. I shot one in the beginning of December that had 24" inch tail feathers and decent spurs, so I took it in. The end of December came around and I shot a rooster in Iowa that had the same length of feathers, but had spurs that were over an inch long, so I decided to do that one too. Roosters are so pretty that you could mount almost any one, just choose your criteria. I agree with the other poster who said something about the memorable hunt thing too, it is always good to be able to tell your story to your buddies.

Most definitely the memorable hunt is the biggest factor. My neighbor has a nice rooster mounted in a glass case that he shot with a 3" shell and his gun is only chambered for 2-3/4". He has the spent cartrige as well. He tried again to get a 3" in there an no dice.

He was road hunting when he saw the bird and rushed to get out after the bird and his buddy just threw him a shell. Kinda funny story. It happened like 20 years ago.

I agree with the rest. A memorable story behind a mount is as good of criterea as anything. While I have seen larger roosters taken, my personal best is one with 23" tailfeathers and long, sharp spurs.... I had him mounted and am very happy with it.(There is a story behind him too... we weren't even pheasant hunting, but actually scouting ducks when I happened across him.) Generally, length and sharpness of spurs are an indication of an older bird. As stated, almost every mature rooster is nice enough to mount, but look for characteristics that are important to you. I personally like to look for a rooster that has a nice bunch of blue feathers right before the tail feathers. These look really nice on a flying or standing mount. Also, if you are going to mount a bird of any sort, try not to damage the feathers at all. This will make the taxidermist very happy. Try to clean up as much blood as you can immediately before it dries. Stop at Wal-Mart or any other store and pick up a pack of nylons before you go hunting so they are with you right away. (You may get a couple funny looks from the cashier, but it is worth it in the end.) After all blood is cleaned up, tuck the head under the wing making sure all feathers lay nice and flat. Then stick the bird in the nylon head first and put in the freezer so it will be well preserved. After the bird is in the nylon, DO NOT attempt to remove it as this will damage feathers. The taxidermist will cut the nylon off and the bird will be in good shape for him to mount.

Hope this helps,

Dave Frank

DFrank,

Yep, Heck of a story behind your mounted pheastant. Good Stuff. If I recall, we even found tons of ducks to hunt then next morning.

Some birds have different colors which make them more attractive. If the spurs are long enough to actually curve, that's another good indication.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.