• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

@#$%$# poachers

hookset

While driving by my neighbors house on the way to my land friday afternoon, I see a bald eagle sitting on something next to their house. I parked next to the house and walked to where the eagle was sitting and find a verry large buck with its head cutoff. Because of a hard 90 degree curve in the road by their driveway, I am sure the buck was not hit by a car, plus it had no broken legs or other signs of a collision. This is the same field my neighbor called me as he was watching a 14 pointer eating as he drove by.

We plant crops for the deer to keep them healthy and strong all year long. Selectivly harvest the does while leaving the bucks to grow up.... so some @#$%%% can shoot them in the middle of the night.

I was going to post a picture but BLB said that would not fly due to the graphic nature of the scene.

Joe

That really bites when some self serving neandrathal decideds to take out a trophy deer. The wanton waste is really hard to stomach! Sorry to hear about that buck and hopefully the DNR will take you up on your offer and get out "ROBODEER" and catch the scoundrels! Good luck and good hunting!

Tunrevir~

sorry for the loss. poachers really erk me too. we spend hours scouting and preparing only to have someone cheat. robbing that trophy from us. it is very frustrating! i hope he gets caught this probably isnt the guy or gals first time nor there last. happy hunting to the DNR to catch them.

I dont know if I would even make a post about the DNR trying to make a sting.Poachers also read and it is possible they could see this.If they were to read this then they would know not to go there and get caught if they do it.

It is absolutely disgusting, how does someone proudly display the head of the deer they got "hunting" when they took it that way. Who knows, maybe all they did is sell it for $50 so they could get high or something, it's just ridiculous what some people will do.

That ticks me off as well, last year I posted about the poachers on my buddies land in Alida, MN near Upper Rice Lake... they have a huge clover/alfalfa field near a road and certain people shine and shoot the deer we have been holding off shooting for years to get a quality trophy opportunity... it stinks when you can't be up on your land to "protect" it if you will and when your away people take advantage of the situation! The DNR was notified last year and I believe they were going to set up a sting this year... we'll see what happens.

Hopefully whoever is behind this will be caught. There are certain people who must boost their ego by illegally taking game and give the rest of us ethical hunters a bad name.... what a shame.

Dave

It really sucks when people like you play by the rules and work hard to have a good experience and some jerk with a rifle comes by and ruins such a beautiful animal. I'm sorry to hear it. This person is probably a repeat offender, most are, so hopefully the CO catches him and doals out some good old fashioned justice. I can't express how much these things irritate me.

I heard on the radio that some stooge from Illinois was caught with 90 walleyes over the limit fishing in Minn. mad.gif They said he was looking at $4200 in fines,which we all know will never get paid.

Quote:

I heard on the radio that some stooge from Illinois was caught with 90 walleyes over the limit fishing in Minn.
mad.gif
They said he was looking at $4200 in fines,which we all know will never get paid.

A misdemenor which will not effect his hunting or fishing rights in any other state. The State will not extridite for misdemenors. Why pay?

So I assume at least their fishing/hunting rights in MN are done until they do pay right? So if they are taken away for three years but have not paid there fine they are taken away till they do? I would hope that is how it works. I would also guess that is why they sometimes take their equipent as well.

How does that work? I know someone on here has to know what the minimum fines and revocations are for poaching. Not because they've faced them but because we have a lot of people on here who know a lot of stuff.

I've read about people getting slapped on the wrist for things like baiting deer which makes me want to scream. If you want to do it in Wisconsin or Michigan, cool, it's legal there but its not here. If you wantonely (spel : P )break a game or hunting law here, you should pay, and revocation of your hunting priveleges for a meaningful term - say 5 years - is bigger deterrant to many rather than a few hundred $$$.

There are those that will argue that such tougher enforcement could lead to endangering conservation officers' lives - i.e. poachers going after the co to harm them rather than facing the prosepect of losing their hunting priveledges. Similar arguements are made for three strikes laws. But I think that is baloney in this case. A poacher is going to poach and do things illegal regardless of if they have a license or not.

He may not pay his fines but if he does not pay or appear in court I believe they will issue a warrant for him. If he gets caught in his state they may not arrest him for it. They probably don't extradite back to MN because the cost of extradition and courts will cost more than the fine. But if he were to ever come back to MN and have contact with a CO or get pulled over by any MN police, sheriff or troopers they would be able to arrest him and hold him until he paid his fine for the fishing incident. They may also be able to hold him till he pays for whatever they stopped him for since he has a history of nonpayment.

Not exactly sure on this but that is how it works I beleive. I know with traffic violations that is how it works.

Anybody else know for sure?

I always thought extradition had to do with returning wanted persons to stand trial. Once convicted, doesn't the state have the right to collect? I wonder if the court could issue a warrant to garnishee the perpetrator's wages?

Sounds like we're getting into legal questions that perhaps an attorney could help us answer?

Bob

I have a similar story to hooksets. While bird hunting last year, before firearm deer season, at a WMA by Annandale I ran acoss a big buck with its head cut off. The only reason I found it is because my dog ran off and would not come when I called. So I shocked him, he yelped, and I figured out where he was. He would still not come. I walked over to where he was and he was sniffing on the deer. The deer had been covered up pretty good. You could have been a foot away and not seen it. Deer looked fresh to me, nothing had been eaten on it. Was shot with slug or rifle. I got back to the truck and called TIP. Do not know if it did any good, never got a call back. I was just so ticked off, didn't know what to do. I am not much of a deer hunter, but I still like to see a nice buck in the woods. Pitty an animal like that has to be wasted. Hopefully the person who poached it feels good about that mount on their wall looking back at them. Not much skill in poaching a deer.

There should be a year round open season for these @#%*&. Absolutely ridiculous to hear about this. Makes me sick. The laws are not severe enough. All WE can do is to continue to be as ethical as possible. It is extremely saddening to hear about such @%# holes being so disrespectful to such a beautiful animal.

We had an incident up around where i am working regarding shineing and poaching, the people got away just before the deputy got there, its depressing knowing that people shoot deer out of lights, knowing that its probly where that big one mysteriously goes right before season. I hope i run into him one night when i am working.

I know when one gets hit by a vehicle it is bad enough but when people do that it makes me sick to the stomach. We had a 12 pointer get hit the night before opener last year and we where sick about it.