• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Painting aluminum truck topper... need help

Question

I recently purchased a used aluminum truck topper that was red in color originally. To match my truck I took advice from an online source and Sherwin Williams and painted it black with 100% acrylic latex paint. With the rain today I noticed it's starting to take in water and bubble up already. Needless to say I'm not too happy. I, knowing nothing about paints, am now looking for advice on what to do now. Thanks for the help.

3 answers to this question

I got one free from this site...(thanks fishingmn!!!) and rubbed it down with laquer thinner, then put a rustoleum primer, then painted it rustoleum paint. has held up thus far, but isn't sitting outside either.

Try to pressure wash it off and then use an automotive paint on it. Latex doesn't seem to stick to non porous surfaceses to well. Plus alum. expands and contracts alot and latex doesn't thus losing adhesion.

Luckily the new layer of paint peeled right off. It was clearly the wrong paint to use. It was literally coming off in sheets, which made removal easy.

I have since purchased an epoxy primer and automotive paint which I have much more confidence in. The primer coat is actually aready on and drying as I type and I'll be able to finish up the painting tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys.