• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bore sights

blue_healer_guy

Anybody use them. Seems like would allow some degree of confidence knowing that after a couple days of banging around in the truck that your scope is still on. Any brands exc. that are better? About $100?

I bought one of the type that slides inside muzzle and....it was a picece of junk, I wasted $ 50 then returned it to Cabelas.

I didn't try the ones that fit inside chamber, they might be a better deal, otherwise I wouldn't worry about loosing sighting, I used to carry guns on back windows when I was ranching in WY, we went through 1000s of miles of country roads, pastures, etc. never had a gun going out of sight. A good scope and mount will keep the settings.

Interesting topic...

I was just cussing my boresighter last night as I was getting ready for Colorado. I don't know what it is, but I have one with the 15 different arbors and I used it on my .223 and when I went to shoot it hit EXACTLY where it looks like it should on the boresighter. Now, with the .30 cal arbor in and my 30-06 last night I had it set so it should have been just under 2" high at 100 yards, just like I want it with these shells. Go to shoot and I'm 7" low and 3" right, BARELY even on the paper, in fact two were just off and one was barely on. Shot up a whole box of $27 shells before I got it where I want it... UGGGH!

I don't understand how that can be??? I mean with one its right on and the other its junk? I don't know... I like the looks of those laser ones that go in the bore better, but they cost a lot more.

Otherwise, I agree with Valv on the scope moving, it takes a pretty big bump, or a lose ring or something like that to cause a problem. Granted they need to be checked and tested regularly, but they shouldn't move.

I have an old Bushnell bore sight from the early 80's. It is ok, but it seems to be more pain than it is worth. For non bolt guns, it can save time and ammo, but have not used it in a long time. I just try to get on the paper at 25 yards, and then adjust from there.

On bolt guns, I pull the bolt out and put the gun in a gun vise or some kind of cradle. I look down the barrel, and center the barrel on a sapling at about 40-50 yards or so. Then I look through the scope, and adjust so the vertical line is lined up on the sapling. Then I should be on the paper at 50 yards or so, and I fine tune once I start shooting.

As the others have stated, it takes a pretty good jarring to get a scope off its settings.

When we go to Colorado, we will usually check our guns out upon arrival.Just a couple shots at a target at 100 yards to make sure we are still ok.

Have you guys seen Leupolds bore sighter? I bought one a last year and that is the craziest unit I have ever seen. It does a really good job and it is magnetic and works with any gun.

It's hard to explain it until you see one but it projects a transparent grid when you look thru the scope, so once you get your gun sighted in you can ' memorize ' the spot on the grid and when you want to check it again, if it's in the same spot, your good to go and it works great for getting you on the paper in the beginning.

Like I said, you just have to look at it. $70 or so at Cabelas.

Mike

Pretty expensive toy for something you can pay a gunsmith 5 bucks to perform. A lot of places will do it free.

They all work exactly the same. All of them will get you on paper at 25-50 yards. After that, if you don't zero your scope with live ammo, well, lets just say I don't want to be in the woods with a "hunter" like that.

We used to laugh our butts off (do disguise our contempt) at the guys who would get their guns bore sighted the night before the rifle opener. It's a pretty pitiful sight.

Don't ever be that guy. (not saying the poster is "that guy")

Did a little side job the other night so I had a little fun money to maybe spend on a bore sight. But the post's here saved me some money I guess. One of the reasons of the post I guess, a bad experience with a mount and also shooting a box like lawdog had to. No excuse for not target practicing. Every season (never yet missed) when I flip that safety tho I say to myself, I hope this baby is on. Thanks guys.

Save yourself some money but spend some time at a gun range and shight the "baby" well. Once it's on it, it won't move.

Agree 100% fellas. Bore sighting, when done correctly, will only get you on the paper. They save money in shells but can never replace good old fashion range time. Not as fun either!