• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Beltrami State Forest

jerk bait

I don't think there are any grouse there at all. I will be there next weekend for 5 days so I think I'll bring the dog and shotgun along in case I am wrong. Seriously though, I haven't been up there since late August. The little bit I was in the woods I did not flush any, but I wasn't trying.

I hunted there years ago. I guess if the grouse aren't there we can stop at Fourtown for a burger and a cool one.

Jerk bait,

I was trying to be funny with my first post. We have our deer land on the northern edge of Beltrami and I am sure there will be plenty of birds similar to other parts of the state. The last few years were dreadful, maybe even worse than other parts of the state due to the big flood up there about 4-5 years ago. That was the start of the decline in that area as the nests flooded out. I'll have more to report on the 23rd.

fivebucks, I got it. Like I said I hunted there years ago and did well. I usually pheasant hunt out west but its not going to happen this year. I have a hunting shack near Fosston, so Beltrami would be a good day trip.

Now you guys are talking about home... We have land near Fourtown, and our cabin is between Hayes Lake and Wannaska.

Beltrami Island used to be phenomenal, as a kid we would shoot numerous birds on the trails above and below Bemis Hill. In the past few years hunting there has been tougher, but in the outlying areas of the forest, the birds are definitely up!

Worked in Roseau last week, and hit one trail less than 2 miles from BISF on my way to TRF, 3 miles, 11 birds seen, 5 bagged. Also got a sharptail 10 miles later...

The following day my brother and I hunted the same area, which was infested with hunters. We worked some trails in the South end of BISF and picked up 6 more ruffies.

afterworklimit4ma7.jpg

Also, if you want to hunt ruffies when you're staying in Fosston, I would probably stay around the area... It's quite a haul up to Beltrami, and there are as many if not more birds you can hunt in the Fosston/Bagley/Bemidji area, without seeing half the hunters...