• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie Report, Duluth Harbor

Fished the Duluth harbor last weekend. What a beautiful weekend, the fall colors were in full force. Unfortunatly the Muskies were not as coopertive as I would have liked.

We were fortunate enought to get the last spot at J. Cook at about 11:00 pm on Friday night. The next morning we were off the the Harbor.

Armed with planner boards [Thanks ST and Northlander for the expert info], Muskie and Catfish rods, and some big baits we set out for the big fish. Managed to get the boards and six lines out for the first time in my little 16ft boat. We started trolling on the edge of the shipping channel in about 10ft. About an hour and a half into it I get one. Not real big, but Muskie, what we were fishing for.

p1010242mq1.jpg

This fish hit a rattling firetiger crankbait. Nice healthy looking fish.

We fished the rest of the day and through the Vikes game on Sunday with no results. Any way, it was a good trip and I actually got one on my first attemt with the planner boards. Water temps were warmer than I was anticipating at about 56-58 degrees and the winds were strong. Only saw one muskie boat on Sat and three walleye? fishing boats in total. Hopefully, I can get back up the in November wink.gif.

Regards,

Matt T

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Glad to help and thanks for the report.

If you get up here in in May you'll be all set up to troll the big lake too.

You can't say it was a bad trip. Congrats on a nice fish, anytime you boat a musky it's a good thing, even if it's a small one. I've been green with envy lately, I just haven't been able to get out. But I go over the Bong bridge every day and there sure has been light traffic down there. But I have seen a few boats trollin, I presume for musky. Maybe I will be able go get out before it gets too cold. This should be the time of year for big fish.