• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
picksbigwagon

remember there is no dumb question right?

picksbigwagon

at least that is what I tell my students....

Okay, we are heading up to Lake Wabedo over MEA, we usually call for coyotes in the morning and evenings, and then grouse hunt during the days. The last 3 years, we are always jumping ducks off of small swamp ponds, my question is, should I only carry steel shot for grouse hunting and if we run into a few ducks, take my shots? I have never duck hunted before, but we had a flock of geese fly over head last year at tree top level. The other two guys would carry lead, but if I only have steel would that be legal?

Slacker84

If you plan on shooting ducks, I wouldn't carry anything else but steel. You could be fined. you can't prove that you didn't use the lead shot. otherwise It doesn't matter. But steel is better for the enviroment (i can't spell).

Boedigheimer

I would load up with steel and take ducks, it shouldn't cost you too many grouse, that way your ready and legal for anything. Just curious, how many coyotes will you shoot if conditions are right over MEA? I find predator hunting interesting. I used to lake trout fish with a guy who had a wolf skin jacket(in Canada), it was the most beautiful jacket I have ever seen. But anyway, I would use steel.

BoxMN

I have gone to ALL steel when hunting grouse in duck season, just in case. You can find #7 steel in good stores, and if you hear honking, just slide a BB in smile.gif

Have fun!

lucky lure

Besides the steel shot you would also need state and federal duck stamps.

iceman16

last year i was grouse hunting up north of orr, when i was finished i unloaded my gun put the schells in my pocket and headed home. that next tuesday i skipped class to get out duck huntin it was a perfect night. end of the hunt i got ckecked by the CO. she checked my birds and all the shot i had in my blind bag and asked if i had anymore schells on me i grabbed the three lead schells in my pocket and got ticketed. even tho i wasnt usin them for duck hunting. a spendy leason but i will never do it again. maybe that was my punishment for skippin class frown.gif i didnt even know they were in my pocket tell she asked if i had anymore.

iceman

Nova

Picks, make sure you only have steel with you and you have both stamps and you are legal.

picksbigwagon

we really haven't had a lot of luck calling the coyotes up around Wabedo, we have called in a timberwolf though, at dusk, and we had to walk out of the woods at dark. that was a little unsettling.

I am heading out tonight ot get my stamps and permits. I am kind of excited to jump shoot ducks off of ponds now. Great a new hobby/animal to hunt, my wife will be extremely happy. Of course I ordered duck for the first time in a resturaunt this summer and my wife actually liked it too.

Nova, on a side note, Missy and Brad signed the papers yesterday, they officially bought the farm, not "bought the Farm". I ahve talked to Brad about putting in food plots, and he sounds interested

MIKE IN lINO III

You mentioned "we" in your first post, I think if you are shooting at water fowl your buddies can't have any lead either. Might want to check into that one.

Mike

Eric Wettschreck

This happens (kinda) to me while phesant hunting. For this reason I don't even buy lead anymore. I carry nothing but steel. If some ducks buzz me while I'm phesant hunting I shoot em!

David Frank

If the regulations are the same in MN. as they are in SD, then everyone in your group has to carry only non-toxic shot if you do harvest any ducks. Otherwise you run into the issue of proving to the Conservation officer that you were the one that shot the duck with steel shot and not your buddy next to you with lead shot.

Even though you would be the only one shooting ducks, be sure to check the laws and cover all of your bases. Your hunting privilages are much more valuable than a couple of ducks.

Dave Frank

picksbigwagon

crap, hadn't even thought of that one. Better get a hold of the other guys then.... frown.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      gotta love the sound of gills biting  
    • leech~~
      Now that I have a Big buddy heater instead of my old sun heater the only thing I get to listen to out in the middle of a quiet lake all day is the soft warm hum of my trusty FL-18! 😅
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I think if we’re to buy one right now I’d go with either the LX7/LX6 or a helix ice unit. I’ve used an LX7 before and definitely it’s a beast the LX6 is pretty much the same just a bit smaller screen and price tag. 
    • eyeguy 54
      would be fun to have a newer one but I probably would spend the money on more jigs or better rods. 
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I’m still using my fl18, it does the job but I’d like something more advanced and newer. 
    • eyeguy 54
      Not sure what is best. Still using my FL18. Very happy still.  
    • Rick
      Which fishfinder is the best for ice fishing in 2018?   Why overall?   What improvements has your favorite made in the past year or two?
    • monstermoose78
    • Rick
      Analysis shows groundwater use is sustainable, but does affect lake  A scientific analysis recently completed by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources shows that groundwater use in the White Bear Lake area meets the state sustainability standard. The analysis also shows that groundwater use in the area has contributed to lower water levels in White Bear Lake and that multi-year bans on residential irrigation will have a minimal effect on lake levels. A high-level summary is available at mndnr.gov/gwmp/wbl. The DNR also published the findings of the analysis in today’s edition of the White Bear Press. “We’re committed to working with local communities to make sure that the waters in and around White Bear Lake continue to provide their many benefits to the people who live and do business there, now and into the future,” said Barb Naramore, DNR assistant commissioner. “This analysis provides a valuable tool for those efforts.” The DNR conducted this analysis in response to an August 2017 Ramsey County District Court ruling, which directed the DNR to determine whether existing water appropriation permits within 5 miles of White Bear Lake meet the state’s sustainability standard, both individually and cumulatively. That ruling also required the DNR to impose a variety of conditions on existing water permits in the area, including a requirement that communities ban residential irrigation when White Bear Lake is below 923.5 feet in elevation. As part of ongoing efforts to manage water resources in the north and east metro area, the DNR has worked with a consultant to develop a state-of-the-science groundwater flow model. This new tool allows modelers to assess the impacts of various pumping scenarios on lake and aquifer levels over time and distinguish among the relative impacts of groundwater use in different areas. Previous models could not make these kinds of assessments. Using this new model, the DNR evaluated whether permitted pumping within a 5-mile radius of White Bear Lake is sustainable as defined in state law. The analysis confirmed that the state standard would be met even if all currently permitted groundwater users were to pump the maximum amount allowed for multiple years in a row. The state sustainability standard requires: Groundwater use does not jeopardize future groundwater supplies. Groundwater use does not harm the White Bear Lake ecosystem. Groundwater use does not degrade the water quality of White Bear Lake. Groundwater use does not lower water levels beyond the reach of public water supplies or private domestic wells. The DNR used the groundwater model to look at impacts based on four different scenarios: no groundwater use, existing groundwater use, existing groundwater use with a temporary residential irrigation ban, and maximum groundwater use with all permitted users pumping as much as allowed for multiple years in a row. Water levels in White Bear Lake fluctuate naturally. Such fluctuations benefit lake health by promoting the growth of vegetation that provides aquatic habitat and stabilizes shorelines. The model shows that pumping groundwater increases these fluctuations, particularly on the lower end of the lake’s water level range, making the lows lower. While current groundwater use does not violate the sustainability standard, lower water levels, particularly those below 922.0 feet, do disrupt or diminish some recreational uses of the lake. In order to support these recreational uses, the DNR established a protective elevation of 922.0 feet in 2016. With the new model, the DNR is now able to work with the permit holders having the greatest influence on White Bear Lake, to identify potential changes to water use that can help support recreational uses of the lake. Over the next few months, the DNR will meet with area cities, businesses and residents to discuss the analysis and its implications. The agency is working with these local interests to implement a groundwater management plan that ensures continued sustainability. A copy of the technical analysis and other information is available at mndnr.gov/gwmp/wbl. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • eyeguy 54
      @monstermoose78   almost time to plan a get-together.