• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

remember there is no dumb question right?

picksbigwagon

at least that is what I tell my students....

Okay, we are heading up to Lake Wabedo over MEA, we usually call for coyotes in the morning and evenings, and then grouse hunt during the days. The last 3 years, we are always jumping ducks off of small swamp ponds, my question is, should I only carry steel shot for grouse hunting and if we run into a few ducks, take my shots? I have never duck hunted before, but we had a flock of geese fly over head last year at tree top level. The other two guys would carry lead, but if I only have steel would that be legal?

If you plan on shooting ducks, I wouldn't carry anything else but steel. You could be fined. you can't prove that you didn't use the lead shot. otherwise It doesn't matter. But steel is better for the enviroment (i can't spell).

I would load up with steel and take ducks, it shouldn't cost you too many grouse, that way your ready and legal for anything. Just curious, how many coyotes will you shoot if conditions are right over MEA? I find predator hunting interesting. I used to lake trout fish with a guy who had a wolf skin jacket(in Canada), it was the most beautiful jacket I have ever seen. But anyway, I would use steel.

I have gone to ALL steel when hunting grouse in duck season, just in case. You can find #7 steel in good stores, and if you hear honking, just slide a BB in smile.gif

Have fun!

last year i was grouse hunting up north of orr, when i was finished i unloaded my gun put the schells in my pocket and headed home. that next tuesday i skipped class to get out duck huntin it was a perfect night. end of the hunt i got ckecked by the CO. she checked my birds and all the shot i had in my blind bag and asked if i had anymore schells on me i grabbed the three lead schells in my pocket and got ticketed. even tho i wasnt usin them for duck hunting. a spendy leason but i will never do it again. maybe that was my punishment for skippin class frown.gif i didnt even know they were in my pocket tell she asked if i had anymore.

iceman

Picks, make sure you only have steel with you and you have both stamps and you are legal.

we really haven't had a lot of luck calling the coyotes up around Wabedo, we have called in a timberwolf though, at dusk, and we had to walk out of the woods at dark. that was a little unsettling.

I am heading out tonight ot get my stamps and permits. I am kind of excited to jump shoot ducks off of ponds now. Great a new hobby/animal to hunt, my wife will be extremely happy. Of course I ordered duck for the first time in a resturaunt this summer and my wife actually liked it too.

Nova, on a side note, Missy and Brad signed the papers yesterday, they officially bought the farm, not "bought the Farm". I ahve talked to Brad about putting in food plots, and he sounds interested

You mentioned "we" in your first post, I think if you are shooting at water fowl your buddies can't have any lead either. Might want to check into that one.

Mike

This happens (kinda) to me while phesant hunting. For this reason I don't even buy lead anymore. I carry nothing but steel. If some ducks buzz me while I'm phesant hunting I shoot em!

If the regulations are the same in MN. as they are in SD, then everyone in your group has to carry only non-toxic shot if you do harvest any ducks. Otherwise you run into the issue of proving to the Conservation officer that you were the one that shot the duck with steel shot and not your buddy next to you with lead shot.

Even though you would be the only one shooting ducks, be sure to check the laws and cover all of your bases. Your hunting privilages are much more valuable than a couple of ducks.

Dave Frank

crap, hadn't even thought of that one. Better get a hold of the other guys then.... frown.gif