• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why can't Gophs get good coach?

Scott M

Just read a story on young coaches that will be under the spotlight this season in NCAAs. Why can't Minnesota get a coach like that? Haven't we pulled a Monson long enough (See the movie Kingpin if you haven't)? I hope we get a new coach after this year. I wouldn't mind seeing the assistant Molinari promoted.

Because the Minnesota sports program at least in the major sports is THE worst in the Big Ten. They are the only one of the major schools that will settle for mediocrity year in and year out. Not many coaches want to come here when the U doesn't support their program the way other schools do.

Also, darn near everyone in this state is a whistle blower that have nothing better to do than try and get us busted for something or another. Remeber the story last year about the underage Hockey players at the bar?

The University also is trying to become one of the premier academic universities in the country for some reason. They must think they have Harvard on their hands. confused.gif Truth of the matter is, they are no better or worse than Wisc., Iowa, etc.

I for one am sick of it. If you were a highschool stud and you had a choice to go to almost any other school in the Big Ten, would you come to Minnesota? 90% of the time, we are playing with leftovers and guys that didn't get offers elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant. I am a huge Gopher sports (especially basketball) fan, but the University's policy on Athletics is sickening at best.

Willy,

it seems like you are upset that they are cleaning up the programs. It is possible to balance good athletic programs with good acedemics. I am not willing to sell integrity to win a few games.

Quote:

Willy,

it seems like you are upset that they are cleaning up the programs. It is possible to balance good athletic programs with good acedemics. I am not willing to sell integrity to win a few games.

I want to see us run clean programs, as in not cheating, no money given to players, etc.

That said, I want to win. If you are a program such as Minnesota and can't get the top atheletes that are great students, you have to be willing to accept some guys that aren't as book smart.

Minnesota does not do that. So they are left with a bunch of stiffs. Sorry, but a bunch of farm boys ain't gonna get it done in Big time Division 1 sports.

Also, if people think that even half of the players at any major Division 1A program graduates, they are delusional. ESPECIALLY basketball. It just doesn't happen.

How many players you think Illinois graduates a season? My guess would be about 35% if that. And of those players, how many actually play? Maybe 5% or less. I've read things about Oklahoma, where their graduation rate for basketball was at 0%.

Now, maybe it isn't right and in a perfect world all the players would graduate. But right now, it just simply isn't the case and we are giving up a competitive advantage by trying to be the Harvard of the Big Ten.

Quote:

If you are a program such as Minnesota and can't get the top atheletes that are great students, you have to be willing to accept some guys that aren't as book smart.

Minnesota does not do that

The football team sure does. They went after Russel after other schools passed on him becuase of grades. Now he can't even get the grades to stay at the U of M and he is out of the program. Did you read the Star Trib article about him? They actually had people walking him to class just to make sure he showed up. So the U of M does go after players that aren't good students but what did it solve.

Believe it or not School still does come first even for a division 1 school.

Yep, Russel is an example. But there have been plenty of cases when we didn't let guys in.

And yes, I know school still comes first.

But, every single school in the Big Ten and any major conference for that matter, lets marginal to very poor students into their program.

Most NCAA atheletes in the major sports are not good students. It is just fact. Not that it is right or wrong or if I agree or disagree with it.

For alot of the guys, especially the ones that play for major programs, it is a stepping stone to the pros. Nothing more, nothing less.

What I am saying is, why do we have to be the ones that hold a standard and consistently produce poor teams when others will not?

If you want to compete, you have to accept the fact that most of your players are there to play ball, not go to school be it right or wrong.

Quote:

Most NCAA atheletes in the major sports are not good students.

You say this like it is all fact but you are not giving me any proof that what you are saying is all fact.

I can post all the stats I want and I am not trying to make huge arguments with you. I would rather see good grad. rates and a good team too.

http://thinkprogress.org/grad-mad-fact-sheet/

"As of 2001, the graduation rate was 40 percent for all of Division I men's basketball, the lowest percentage of all college sports. When it comes to men's college basketball, good students are a rare find." - Taken from a Newspaper article in the Duke newpaper.

I could go on and on citing sources, but I won't. Either way, I look at the Minnesota athletic department other than hockey(which is not a major NCAA sport) and see failure and mediocrity at best. I will continue to support them, but losing year in, year out gets hard to swallow.

Hockey is not a major NCAA sport???

Michigan

Michigan Sate

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Ohio State

All have NCAA hockey teams (major by my standards) confused.gif

Isnt the wrestling team pretty good??

The baseball team can hold its own too.

Quote:

Hockey is not a major NCAA sport???

Michigan

Michigan Sate

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Ohio State

All have NCAA hockey teams (major by my standards)
confused.gif

Isnt the wrestling team pretty good??

The baseball team can hold its own too.

In the midwest maybe, but across the country, no it is not a major sport. For us up here,(myself included) it is, but thoughout the country - no way. In hockey we are VERY successful and have been a major power for a long time.

Wrestling, once again - not a major sport other than the midwest and really not even up here.

By major sports I am talking about - Football and Men's Basketball. Those are the money makers and nationally the only ones that many people care about.

Baseball team is good, but when's the last time they did anything in the NCAA? They are far from a power.

Overall, I guess I shouldn't say the MN program is a failure, but in football and basketball - they are.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else catch the BEST college basketball team in the state last night! grin.gif

Winona State Warriors 69

Minnesota Golden Gophers 64

Yehaw!!

How does a big ten team lose to a Division II team? Answer = they have Monson as their coach. Bet the barn will be overflowing again this year. smirk.gif

What a joke. This program has sunk to the Northwestern, Penn St. level of the big ten.

"So they are left with a bunch of stiffs. Sorry, but a bunch of farm boys ain't gonna get it done in Big time Division 1 sports".

Looks like a bunch of farm boys just did get it done!!! It looked to me like the Goophers should have recruited some of them ooo.gif Way to go WINONA!!!

That is funny, but you know it is true. All of the big-time recruits that come out of Minnesota do exactly that. Come OUT of Minnesota. We never keep the top talent and it kills us.

Tonight could be another example of some farm boys getting it done. I will bet that NDSU beats us by 5-10 points. Wow I can't believe I am saying that, but they may have a better team than us.

That and Monson may be the worst coach to ever coach in the Big Ten.

I wonder if there's a busload going down I-94 today to see tonight's Gophers-Bison game? Could it be another 1-point affair???

Wow. We got a W. Other than the start of the first half, we had the game mostly in control throughout. They still are NDSU though. We are expected to beat them by at least double digits.