• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any new reports?

Coming up this weekend and wondering whether I should bring the boat, the sled or the auger? Any reports from Gull or area lakes? Has Gull turned over yet? Thanks fella's.

I"m wondering the same, maybe Jason, Dan, or someone else can help us. Think I'm gonna try to go to Gull tomorrow before this front, unless it's recently turned over. They on the edge of weeds or steep breaks yet?

The fishing is still decent, but not as good as a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking Gull is going through some turn-over stuff, the temps are about right for that to start. There is quite a bit of junk floating around in Gull right now and the fish are real scattered. It has been tough to find any groups of fish out there the last 3-4 days. When we see them on the graph its one or two here and there, no groups. Fish have been caught from up shallow in the weeds all the way out to the 30s. I've had the best luck in 24-30 feet. Lindy's and medium to big redtails or jigs and fatheads are producing the best results. North Long has also been good. Same depths and presentations. Most fish that are biting the last couple of weeks are better keepers, lots of 14-18 inch fish with the occasional biggie. Good Luck guys.

Jason Erlandson

Just got home. I fished North Long this a.m. and caught about a dozen, most were small but we did keep a few decent fish. Has anyone ever had a walleye follow up a hooked walleye? I am thinking it was a walleye and not a northern. If it was, it was a 33-35 incher. Gull was better than North Long, we kept 9 this afternoon. About 20 feet with mouth and tail-hooked red tails. North end.

56-57 degrees. I think it turned over a week and a half ago. But don't know for sure.

Walleyedan

Walleye Dan,

I had a huge walleye follow a hooked 14 incher a few years ago on Rainy Lake. A few times the big one would bite the hooked fished, it was a weird minute or two. We got the net out and saw the biggest walleye of my life swim away, my buddy tried to net it but just missed. I passed by you this afternoon in the channel, I ended up getting a few keepers, but found the fishing to be pretty tough this weekend. I also believe that gull has turned over.

Brent

Maybe I wasn't seeing things then. I guess I'll just have to up the size of the bait I use, maybe start using decoys (monster suckers).

Thanks,

Dan

Night trolled gull on saturday in the wind and it was ok, got two in 19-20" range and lost a few on floating rapala's. Best depth was 6-8' Waves made it tough!

Dan that sure sounds like a monster. There are a few of those out there. We've had walleyes follow hooked fish up to the boat before but usually during the early spring period around the spawn. Mostly smaller males, nothing like what you described. I've also seen it quite a bit with smallies.

Jason Erlandson

I was a little frustrated with the scattered fish on the south end yesterday, so I targeted some nice, healthy Largemouths up in the weededge. Once they figure out that they are hooked, they are quite feisty!

Fished Gull all day last saturday.Caught a limit of fish nothing larger than 17.Most fish were caught in 14-17 on steep weedlines with decent weed cover.Stayed mainly on one spot on the south end all day.Is it just me or do the fish seem real thin?Burl.

Has Whitefish turned over yet? I'm heading up next week and was wondering how th efishing for walleye is going.

Any predictions on how the ice bite is going to be out on the chain?? Out at practice down here in South Dakota it was 31 degrees, so its hard not to start thinking hardwater fishing... We went out on the chain for 4 days last year over spring break and did alright... a bundle of crappies and 2 bonus walleyes.. Just curious on how it was looking for this upcoming season?? Enjoy the fall bite out there first though!!

Dan I fished against you years ago in a Late Fall Tournament on Gull Lake. You had your Wife with you at that time. I was the one in the Black Ranger with the I.O. 350 chev magnum. Anyways back to the story. I've Had a couple of Big Giant Walleyes follow up a 3 or 4 pound Walleye. What I'm thinking is this is what those Big Giants feed on. Over at Terrys Boat Harbor on Mille Lacs. Terry had a Night trip he took out. He said when he went to net a 2 1/2 pounder a woman had caught he was the wittness along with a few other folks on the launch who saw it. He figured it was 20 to 21 pounds if not an ounce. It's not the only state record he's seen over the years. What i'm puzzeled about is why do they follow up? My theroy is that is what they feed on. BIG BAIT or small 2pound walleyes. What a Guy should do is troll a 12 inch Lure in 30 to 35 feet of water 25 to 27 feet down. My fishing Partner said that is what we should do. After all I do have the GPS cordinates of these fish locked in. As for me the biggest walleye I personally saw in Gull was 34 inches. Well thats all I have to say on this Subject. Good Fishing and see you on the Water. Rickkywalleye.

Most times they follow like that I think it is a curiousity thing. They are in a feeding mood and with another fish thrashing around they instinctively check it out. They are usually thinking food and don't want to miss out. That is just my idea.

Jason Erlandson

That's exactly how I am when I walk by the fridge or drive by fast food restaurants. Especially on days like today.

Walleyedan

Its so much fun thinking of the monsters that roam the unknown bottoms of our favorite walleye lakes... My grandfather pulled a 27 inch beauty outta WFC last year so I like to think that there are plenty bigger combing the humps of the chain!!

Jason and Dan, I wish I could just follow up a cheeseburger and NOT eat it...

I don't know how those big bellied beauties can resist...

Well we did get out on Gull some on Saturday and Sunday. We found the fish real deep and actually had our best luck in 45-50 feet. We worked larger red-tails very slow and caught some real nice eater fish. Most fish were between 14-19 inches and nothing bigger. Sunday was a beauty day on the lake. How did everyone else do?

Fished pelican on sunday and did pretty well for the few hours we were out. Best depth was 32-40' for us, jigging redtail on chartruese fire balls. Released 6 and kept 2 from 14-18".