• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

decoy setup question

The second weekend I seen lots of teal where I hunted and thats it. We have some colder weather coming in and I hope they stick around till next weekend. My question is as the season moves along are you guys pulling your teal out of your decoy spreads? Or do you still use them for that variety and color no matter how late it gets? Thanks in advance.

we try to match our spread to what we think we have a good chance of seeing on a particular hunt.

I think after Halloween you're better off replacing any teal or woodie dekes with mallard or diver dekes. Afterall, you can only put so many out ya know.

The BWT we shot yesterday up in the Grand Rapids area had honestly 1/2'' of fat! Don't expect to shoot many more of those this season!

SA

I will use teal decoys for the first three weeks of the season, then after that, I take them out and put the diver decoys in the boat. Teal will come into about any species of duck decoys you put out.

I'll use Teal decoys until aboot the 3rd or 4th weekend. It really depends on how cold it gets. After a cold stretch I take out the Teal decoys and just use Mallards and Geese. The reson behind this is I only have Mallard, Teal, and Goose decoys.

Pull em. Your best succes is going to be throught diver, mallard, pintail, and honker dekes. Depending on the area that you hunt, run more and more diver dekes the later the season gets, and have fun!!!

If you have them put them out. I see teal just about the whole season. I keep them closer to the blind.

The more decoys the better especially late in the season. It can be a pain in the butt and more work. I use all kinds of decoys in my spead. The divers I keep out and away from the main body. They are a great attractant all season and you never know whats going to be flying around especially on small lakes and ponds. Last Saturday I shot a Green Wing Teal,Mallard,Ringbill and a Canvasback. Also had some buffleheads swing through.

Good Luck!