• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Generator for fishhouse? Is this one enough?

hoggs222

Question

So I'm looking for a generator for the fish house and stumbled across this one? I'm looking to run a TV, DVD player, lights and possibly a radio. I'll list the stats. What do you think? Enough power? I can get it for $320 or so on sale.

Brand Coleman Powermate

Model # PM0543250

Length 35.76 In.

Assembled Depth (In Inches) 35.76

Assembled Height (In Inches) 25.59

Assembled Weight (In LBS) 130

Assembled Width (In Inches) 23.57

Automatic Idle Control No

Automatic Voltage Regulation No

Battery Charger With Cables No

Engine Brand Briggs and Stratton

Engine Horsepower 6.5 HP

Engine Series Residential OHV

Fuel Capacity (Gal) 4 Gal

Fuel Gauge No

Fuel Type Gasoline

Height(In.) 25.59 In.

Hour Meter No

Included Accessories Folding handle, 7" plastic tires, 1 qt oil

Low Oil Shut Down Yes

Motor Start-Up Type Manual

Osha Required GFCI Outlets No

Output Receptacles 1 L14-20R, 4 5-20R

Overload Protection No

Portability Wheel Kit Included Yes

Rated Wattage 3250 Watt

Run Time @ 1/2 Load (Hr./Tank) 12 Hours per Tank

Start Type Manual

Surge Wattage 4000 Watt

UPC CODE 010163543252

Warranty (Parts) 2 year

Weight (Lbs) 130 Lbs.

Width (In.) 23.57 In.

18 answers to this question

Where is the sale??? I'm also looking for one. I think that one might be on the big side. not that there's anything wrong with that, but the bigger you go, the more gas you will suck up through it. I was looking at getting about a 1500-2000 watt generator. that will easily run anything you'd normally run in a fish house. if you will use it for other uses, then you might want a bigger one. but if all you are going to use it for is for the things you listed, I''d consider going smaller. look at the things you want to run, and they'll all list the wattage they use. add it up and that's the minimum size generator you want.

I agree, thats a little big. I would think with what you listed, a 1000 watts would be big enough.

It's at Home Depot. I guess I'd probably go with this one, just because it's cheaper.

The wattage rating does sound high, but according to recent reviews in consumer reports, I'd knock off about 1000-1200 watts from the ratings. Still should be plenty big for a fishhouse.

One thing to keep in mind when getting a generator for your fish house is how loud it is. I didn't see a deciable rating in your list. I run a Honda EU 2000 in my fish house and run lights, fans, tv, dvd, charing my marcum along with a few other things. Has had plenty of power and runs probably 8-10 hours on a tank of gas and can't hear the generator run outside when the tv is on.

If your not going to do it the right way by running your electronics off of a battery and occasionally charging them with your generator, I would get an Honda EU or Honda clone type Generator if your going to be wasting gas and making noise all day/night.....

I have a Coleman Powermate generator.

It's loud, it's real loud. No way I'd rope that thing over within 100 yards of the nearest fish house. If you're out there all by yourself this generator works absolutely fine for what you have going on, it's just really dang loud.

If it were not super duper loud that would be the top things on it's stats sheet. Notice how it isn't even listed.

I currently run the fish house off of 2 interstate deep cycle batteries. What kind of inverter would I need to be able to run everything off of 12V?

how long does it last? What would I need to do to run the 2 batteries in a series?

Depending on what you are planning on running two batterys can easily last a weekend or more......One battery at a time will work, I use one battery for fishouse lighting and the other battery for TV, Satelite Receiver, Stereo.

Hooking the batts in series would double the voltage and that wouldnt be good. They would need to be wired paralell. I think for that little power consumption an inverter may be a better idea than the hassle of a generator.

You would want to hook them up parrallel, postive to positive, negative to negative. That is how I have them in the RV and it works as planned.

Alright, here's a way quieter one. I believe it's around 70db. What are your thoughts? It's around the same price range. I know....I don't want to be the A-hole out there running his loud generator all day, but this seems alot better than the 3250 watt.

Brand Coleman Powermate

Model # PMC431800

Length 20.25 In.

Assembled Depth (In Inches) 16.62

Assembled Height (In Inches) 20.25

Assembled Weight (In LBS) 88

Assembled Width (In Inches) 14.10

Automatic Idle Control No

Automatic Voltage Regulation No

Battery Charger With Cables Yes

Engine Brand Subaru

Engine Horsepower 4 HP

Engine Series Industrial OHV/OHC

Fuel Capacity (Gal) 1.3 Gal

Fuel Gauge No

Fuel Type Gasoline

Height(In.) 16.62 In.

Hour Meter No

Included Accessories Fixed handle w/ carry design, 12vdc charging cables, 1 qty engine oil

Low Oil Shut Down No

Motor Start-Up Type Manual

Osha Required GFCI Outlets No

Output Receptacles 2 5-15R, 1 12vdc lighter style

Overload Protection No

Portability Wheel Kit Included Yes

Rated Wattage 1800 Watt

Run Time @ 1/2 Load (Hr./Tank) 4 Hours per Tank

Start Type Manual

Surge Wattage 2250 Watt

UPC CODE 010163431801

Warranty (Parts) 2 year

Weight (Lbs) 88 Lbs.

Width (In.) 14.10

Description

Power for those on the go. This 2250 max watt generator is great for camping, boating, tailgating, and more. Quieter than most generators, it is fully enclosed for reduced noise and added protection. Two handles provide esay portability. Spark arrest muffler is approved by the U.S. Forest Service. This model has 2 5-15 and 1 12v receptacles, and comes with 12vdc charging cables. Small and compact for ease in transporting and storage.

• Portable recreational generator

• 12vdc charging cables

• Lightweight

• Quiet

how much is that one, I've only seen it for about $429. that's the red on right??? definetly a better choice for you!! that's the one I'm looking at getting, as soon as it's in the budget!!

I couldnt find any quick db ratings on your model but on one that is 5.5 hp max rating 3125 watts, model pm010, its 67 dB(a) @ 7m, now most people dont know what that equals, a quick comparison is this, a noisy traffic corner or a busy office. A honda EU2000 is 59 at a ratted load, that is equal to conversational speech or a bussiness office. I know it only appears to be 10 more but to make is a simple explaination, db rattins are 3 is equal to twice as much. if you want to go into it more here is Wikipedia's explaination and a dB chart, Understanding dB I would look into a repair shop that might have these on hand or a company that would be willing to start one up so that you can hear it, I know at Northern Tool, when I worked there we had to go in the back and start up all the honda's for the customer and show them how full the oil should be, how you start it and how to run it. I know it was a little over the edge but it would help with the sale, we even had a few of the Colemans in the back to show the customer how loud a gererator was, if it didnt have the proper noise reduction on it. I would seriously concider Honda, Im sure someone on here that lives near you has one. Other wise like I said call around and ask if you come in if they would start one up.

Shawnny B

Well, I picked up the 1800 watt one, it's not all that loud. I got it for $320. It was a reconditioned (someone bought it and said it vibrated) they tested it & I bought it. Still has the full warranty.

How long do the batteries last at continual use? How do you have everything hooked up?