• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse drumming during full moon

bb2323

We were up grouse hunting 10/5 and 10/6 north of Grand Rapids and heard something I have never heard before; grouse drumming at night. It was very bright with the full moon and we were staying at the end of a logging road hoping to hear the wolves howling when at 10:00 pm we heard a grouse drumming, we all looked at each other in disbelief and just thought it was a fluke when a diffrent one started drumming. In all there were at least three diffrent birds and they kept drumming until we went to bed at 11:30. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard this before? I have heard them drum in the fall on nice days before but never at night! I am assuming it must have something to do with the bright moon. By the way the hunting was fantastic as the four of us filled out both days!