• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TJFISHER

battery storage

TJFISHER

I have a question about what to do with the batteries in my boat over winter storage time. I have 2 batteries and a charger bank, do I need to take them out or what is the best way to keep them in good shape over the winter? Sorry for the rookie question!! confused.gif

Northlander

I think the best is to get them out of the boat if you store outside or in a unheated garage. If you do make sure they are in a place like the basement and charge them up every so often. Like a couple times a month. Probably wont need it but check them.

If you store in a heated garage do just as you are doing in the summer.

wplatehunter

I agree with northlander. We use ours all winter in our fish house.

IFallsRon

I bring my summer batteries (boat and camper) inside and put the charger on every couple months. My brother-in-law's brother leaves his battery in the boat in my mother-in-law's unheated garage. I buy a new battery more often. I think that my batteries take more of a wave/road beating and as a result don't last as long.

delmuts

i leave my batteries in the boat in an unheated garage. they say that as long as the batt. water level is good and you keep them charged. no problem. i have an on board charging sys. so i just plug it in once a month.

fishing tech

Do not store them on concrete. I make sure the water level is good, charge them and check them every 2 months. I don't buy many batteries. Cheap batteries are just that. Cheap, you might get lucky and get one that will last 4-5 years but buy a good one and take care of it and get twice the life. Oh yeah bring them inside.

knoppers

I put them in the basement on a board and charge them at least once a month. they have lasted 8 years. I have been staying with interstate batterys, they seem to be better.

I also have a onboard charger, but since I store the boat in the cold, I remove the batterys.

Trumar

a low amp charger such as a battery maintainer works well for winter months in a non heated garage. I use all Interstate batts and have always used a maintainer during the winter months in my nonheated garage this is the 3rd year on my batterys and can troll all day (8-10 hrs)and still have a 40% charge left.

and concrete being hard on a battry is a MYTH.. HEAT is the worst thing for a battery..

Northlander

You are correct. Cement floors used to be bad on batterys but with new technology it isnt anymore. I still store mine up on my work bench in my basement.

BobT

The biggest problem with leaving a battery in an unheated area is the potential for freezing. It is true that a charged battery can withstand very cold temperatures however batteries don’t hold their charge forever and in sub-zero weather they are not as capable as in warm weather. They work in your car because you are using your car and the batteries get recharged regularly. Once a battery freezes it is about shot. It takes only a few minutes to remove the batteries from your boat, lawn mower, etc. and place them in a heated area where they will be protected from freezing should they happen to lose their charge. Place them on a battery charger periodically to maintain their charge and they’ll be fine.

Bob

Whoaru99

I leave mine in the boat with the on-board charger plugged in all winter long. These batteries are 5 or 6 years old and still working fine....

They are just your plain old $60-$70 deep cycle batteries, not the fancy high-tech ones that cost two or three times as much.

stick

I talked about this with the battery charger company (I forget which one I have), and they recommended leaving the charger plugged in all winter long to add to battery life. There are only so many charging cycles that they handle, and each time is a cycle. This is assuming that the charger has the electronics enough to go into trickle mode.