• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which battery powered drill?

bigdog

Question

I am looking for recommendations for a battery powered drill to get as a gift for someone. It will see normal household type use. I have a Makita that is about 25 years old and I have been happy with it. What would be a good choice for under $100?

17 answers to this question

bigdog,

I cannot recommend one that is under a 100 bucks, but, I have done some searching. (Just by web) Northern has a 19.2 volt for under 50 bucks, I do not know the quality. Menards has a Mikita on sale for an advertised price. (it may be worth looking into).

On the other hand if you are not worried about the quality or what kind of power they have, you should be able to find one either at Menards, Northern tool, Harbor Freight, Walmart, target, Just to mention a few places may have what you are looking for. I do not know the quality of tools, for the average person you should be able to find something.

happy searching

I have a Craftsman drill from Sears and love it, It has long battery life and plenty of power. When it get closer to Christmas they usually have some good sales on their power tools

Agree with Dewalt but I don't think you're going to get one for under a hundo.

Dewalt 9.6 Volts are going for $99.99 at most stores drill 1 battery, charger and case. That is a good little drill. It will most likey have better power that your old one.

I agree the Dewalts are definitely the top of the line. However, craftsman does have a few decent drills as well, although you have to be a bit careful. Find a salesman who knows the product a bit and find one of the drill manufactured for Craftsman by one of the larger name brads such as Makita.

Ive gotten some reconditioned Dewalts before at ACME they melt an R into the drill so you/they can tell them apart and sell them for about half price. I know they go fast when they are available. they come with charger and case too. its worth asking about!

I have been using Ryobi power tools for 4 years now ,,the nicest part about the 18 volt drill is the magnet on the base,,,great for holding screws when you are on a ladder or other tight spot ,,,I havent had any problems with battery life just common sense charge when running low and dont leave on the charger too long ,,for a hondo you may get another piece of equip too boot ie extra battery /light /saw etc

Just My 2 pennies

Randoid

Home Depot carries the Ryobi tools

I agree with the Ryobi. We use them at work and have no problem. The 18 volt can interchange with several tools and they offer a 12 volt charger for the work truck. they offer everything from a sawzall to a chainsaw with the same 18 volt battery and all warranty goes through the Home Depot. Last week I saw them for $49.99 at the Coon Rapids store.

As a guy that litterally uses them to death every day I have used many different kinds from Bosch, Dewalt, Hilti and Panasonic. I used to be a big Dewalt guy but now if I were to buy one for myself I'd use a Panasonic. Their 15.4V is lighter and better ballanced than Dewalts 14.4, the batteries last longer (both in overall life and usage life) and recharge faster. More than a C note though.

Both are very good and durable, as I have given both brands "drop tests" from pretty good hights (15+feet to concrete) and the worst thing I've done is broken the battery cases.

Consider the "AMP" rating. Most consumer drills won't state the amps. Higher the "AMP's", the better power for the battery for the charge. I use 3AH 15.6v for trade use, daily.

Home use, comsumer. stick with the big name boys. The ones on Ebay are "no Name" and won't last.

Good luck.

mnfishinguy,

You mean 15.6v 3AH Panasonic right.

I have the drill/Driver saw kit....LOVE it!...

I don't know if you've heard of harbor freight tools, but go there and look. I got an 18V kit that had a drill, light, sander & charger for $50. I've been using it for 5 months and it is very nice for the money. I think I bought an extra battery for $10 bucks. There is one in West St. Paul on Robert St. and one on Central. To me, it's the only place to buy tools.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Yep, 15.6Volt. It kicks some serious butt. At work I also have the companion metal saw. Another must have toy!

My .02 > when I worked at a hardware store 6 yrs ago...at that time, Dewalt and Craftsmen were identical and made in the same factories. Also at that time, Makita was the only drill that was made in the USA (Georgia). However, I'm sure many things have changed since then.

For $100 whatever Makita, Dewalt, or Milwauke you pick up at 7 Corners Ace Hardware will be fine. I like the Panasonic drill but not the chuck so for me the best all around cordless drill/driver is from Metabo. For the nicest drill system either the CDD or TD drills from Festool are my choice; I really like their chuck and right angle attachment so I retired my Dewalts for a Festool a couple of years ago. BTW if you like rigging your boat the Festool gets in places the others can't