• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any luck yesterday???

StCroixNewB

Went out yesterday morning (8 'til 1); fished the area south of the I-94 bridge up to the swing-bridge. Trolling cranks only caught weeds and the jig/minnow (shiners and fatheads) bite was non-existant. Spoke to others on the water and at the landing and all were reporting slow action (except for a few silvers)...

So, did the warm weather and sunshine push them all deep or is there simply too much natural forage right now (saw many large schools of shad on the sonar and at the surface)?

Oh yeah, the wind and the big boats added up to some nasty surface condition south of the bridge. I saw one of those huge cigarette boats go flying by way too close to a smaller tiller-type fishing boat! After that, I made sure my PFD was one tight and secure!

I was out Saturday and Sunday AM from about 6:00 AM to 1:00 PM and It was terribly slow for me. Matter of fact Saturday was the first time ever I was completely skunked on the Croix. Usually I have a way with the sheephead but they wouldn't even bite. I tried everything in my limited arsenal but to no avail. I looked deep I looked shallow, I trolled cranks and spinners at every speed imaginable, I tried jigs w/minnows (i got some shiners and thought that would help) Lindys with worms and leeches but nothing. Sunday I managed 1 Crappie and one Sunny while rigging. I think I tried everywhere between catfish bar and the Prescott bridge. Pretty slow and you were correct on the surface conditions on Sunday NewB it was pretty nasty out there at times hopefully this was the ast hoorah for the big pleasure boats. Oh well it definitely can't get any worse so next time can only get better. I am off tomorrow and Wednesday to work on some projects around the house, Maybe I can sneak out once or twice. Good luck all

Dieguy

Hey dieguy, I was out on sunday morning caught all four eyes in about a 30 minutes span,vertical riggin in 30+ feet on redtails and couldn't get another in 5 hours of trying just about everything in the boat, lock jaw or what! Have faith rods are going to be getting a workout soon, it's coming and it will be unreal,just like every fall! grin.gif

Quote:

Oh well it definitely can't get any worse so next time can only get better. Dieguy

Now that's a 'the glass is half-full' perspective!!! Gotta luv it grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I said the exact same thing to the wife when I got home... If you get out this week, let us know if things are better out there or not. Sounds like a slow (or nonexistant) bite from north of the hudson swing bridge to Prescott last weekend. I'm so excited for the start of the fall bite that I just can't take it anymore!!

Stcrx newb..The bite I ran into last Saturday was very good.While it didnt last all day,the time it did go was alot of fun.That was about a two hour window between 1030 and 1230 pm.Guys one thing Ive noticed on occasion is some areas that I work, dont have alot of baitfish,but the hooks are still down there on my graph.Thats not to say the shad arent still there,they are sitting at a different level in the water column.This probably means most all of my action is from reaction strikes,Ill take those anytime.Last saturday my fish came from 29 to 35 fow.And trolling was the only way I got fish to go given the time of day I was fishing.I wont be able to get on the Croix til this Saturday again(reason)trolling for hogs up on Mille wed-thurs............Good luck out there..........

croixeyes, You wouldn't happen to have been fishing in the Kinnikinic area on Saturday when you hit your window. I only saw one fish pulled on Saturday and it was by 2 guys (in a Lund I think) about the time you mentioned. I tried that area several times and there was almost always 2 or 3 boats in this area but I only saw the 1 fish go. Just curious,

Dieguy

I was out on Sunday. 1 to about 4:30 Just for a boat ride but I did not see anybody pulling in fish and I do not know how they could fish. The river, Afton to Prescott was the worst I have been in with the wind and boats. Constant 3 to 4 foot waves coming at me frown.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.