• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Taxidermy question....

LwnmwnMan2

Question

How long does it usually take to get a fish mounted??

I realize it's going to depend on work load as well, but .....

Right now I'm waiting since last February.

12 answers to this question

I brought three URL crappies in last Feb. Still waiting. Should be later this month though.

Most are a little over a year or so.

I have one that has been in for about 2 years. But this is from someone that I know and he is always really busy so it takes him a while. Im going to go and pick it up here in a couple of weeks.

I have had some be only 10 month while this one was 24... Pretty standard...

I know everybody thinks one year is normal.... not at Ron Shaleen's Taxidermy, I found his ad in the back of Outdoor News and it claimed to be a four week turnaround. I had a 12 pound 2oz minnetonka walleye and didn't want to wait a year. Ron did the job in just 3 weeks on driftwood for 7 or 8 dollars an inch, and it was a great looking job.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

My dad had a 16in crappie that he got mounted that took about 3 months to get done. The crappie sat in the freezer for about 5 years too. I don't think it could have been done much better ether.

I'm going on about 9 months now, with a walleye that was in a freezer for 2 years.

It's with a guy that's got international awards here in the north metro, so I'm not too concerned....

Just getting an idea on timing since 1) I never asked when I dropped it off, as he was on the phone, and 2) Just wanted to get an idea if he'd been blowing my fish off since it HAD sat for so long before I brought it in.

Thanks guys....

1 year is about normal. The only way a taxidermist is going to get it done sooner is if they are not busy, new, or they dont do large game animals or birds.

Many taxidermist nearly have to shut down in the rifle season because there are so many animals coming in and they cant get anything done. Fish take a week or 2 to complete with proper dry time.. sure, most can do a dozen fish at a time, sometimes more... but it still takes time. Large game animals take some time also, and require much more space so time adds up there also.

Its not uncommon for taxidermist to have a years worth of work in the freezer.

So.. if a taxidermist is new.. you might see your fish in a few weeks. If they have been around for a while and are busy, a year is very realistic.

What's the timeline on replicas? I caught a nice crappie a couple years back and took pics. I would like to get a replica made but I don't know/haven't looked into cost and time yet. Any suggestions?

It seems that most are really only behind 1-2 months. They all hunt and fish and tell you they are out 6-months so they can play when they want!

tonyjor if your looking at a replica Artistic Anglers in Duluth is the only place I will go for a replica. Anyone can make a replica but Artistic Anglers painter is the best Ive ever seen. I looked all over to see who would do my replica and I wound up just across the bridge in Duluth at Artistic Anglers. I looked at all the shows and on the net and I kept coming back to AA's paintjobs.

Not the cheapest but well worth the little extra $.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.