• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
rosspj59

snap weights

Question

rosspj59

Anybody use these much? I generally run 3 ways now. I would prefer to run leadcore, but don't have the funds for more rods/reels. The next best thing would be snap weights right? If you have them, where do you purchase them?

8 answers to this question

Wavey Davey

Post deleted by Wavey Davey

Northlander

Snap weight is a weight that clips onto a pinch pad, usually red, that pinches on your line. They can be placed anyplace on your line to troll spinners, spoons, sticks or cranks. Actually anything ca be trolled behind them. When you get a hit you reel up to the snapweight and pinch it off the line and then reel in the fish. They work great for getting baits deeper than their max depth.

Cabelas, Gander, Marine General, Fishermans Corner, Reeds etc. and Off shore boards all offer them.

rosspj59

So, say I am pulling a #7 regular shad rap, how far ahead would you put the snap weight then? Also, do you just let line out until the weight hits bottom like a 3 way or how do you know when you let enough line out to keep the lure near bottom? Is there any kind of science to this?

Northlander

Snap weights are usually used for trolling suspended fish. You can put them as far or close to a lure as you want.

Some guys use a 50-50 rule but that depends on what your running and how spooky fish are etc.

Walleye Insider and PWT websites as well as walleye central have some good articles on things like snap weights and bottom bouncing as well as inline weights.

tunrevir

They also have info on snap weights in the trollers bible. 1 oz 20' ahead of your crank will run it 33% deeper then it will run without the weight. Snap weights are highly speed dependent where lead core will rise and fall with speed changes the snap weights will plummet on tighter turns. Not bad for straight ahead fishing though. I have used them a bit on the croix with some success but find the lead core is easier to work with. my .02.

Tunrevir~

rosspj59

Thanks for the info Northlander and Tunrevir.

scaup

I started using snap wieghts in June of this year. The best advice I can give is to get the book, "Precision Trolling". It covers snap weights enough to get you started and has dive curves for about any crank bait you want. The other thing is you really need to have a line counter to take the guess work out of things.

jig n' jerk

I second the precision trolling!! Just picked it up a short while ago and love it. It is a must have for trollers. It even covers a section on snap weights, like others have said above. Little spendy though, $25-$30, but worth it IMHO.