• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyes biting on the hook

The father has been fishing fishhook in recent days and been doing well for walleyes with redtails in that 17 to 20 foot range. he has been fishing them on jigs. hope this helps. JOnah

I was out yeserday morning. It didn't seem to matter what kind of minnow I used, fats, rainbows, shinners, or redtails, I caught fish on all of them. Lot's of fish, and all three species. Biggest northern 29 inches, biggest walleye was 19 inches, nice bass at 15 inches. Fun morning.

Just thought i would add my info, just because its fall dont forget to use the crawlers for them eyes. i use them all the way up to freeze up, especially on the hook. just the other day i knew 2 guys that went out fishing, one was a fall minnow type of guy and the other was a friend of mine. my friend had 5 eyes in the boat when the other guy finally switched over to a crawler, then he caught a eye. so like i said just because its fall dont give up on the crawlers, plus its also nice that you dont have to put your hands in the water to grab them minnows.

How'd you do fathead. Let us know. I travelled down your way this weekend, to go watch the Twins clinch the AL. Wondering if the fish are still gobbling up everything.

I'll be up on Wednesday thru the weekend. I will not be able to report until I get back (no internet).

My buddy was out on Saturday a.m and boated 5 in a couple of hours.

I can't wait!

Hey Brett my father guided on fish hook today and his boat caught 14 walleues with the biggest being just over 4 lb or so and about 35 northers. all came on redtails and jigs. JOnah

Thats a pretty good day.Lots of minnow eating Northerns. Wonder if those Northerns know how much redtails cost ?

Musky,

What depths were the most productive for your father?

Also, were there any particular types of jigs/colors that were most effective?

I'd ask locations, but I know how giving out that info is often times , Top Secret! grin.gif

Well to let u guys know Gamakatse is right. Im the guy he was talking abought, crawlers are it [ PS gamakatse dont tell them all the tricks] I went out sat morrning dint turn a fish, so sunday went to a dif. lake found the eyes there we got 10 fish all on crawlers was a good time but all the eyes had fatheads in there bellys so that tells me even if thy are full thy cant pass up a fat crawler when it go's past there nose

TC good luck fishing!!!!!!!!!

LIPPY

hey lippy

you have to help out the unfortunate ones. i was out there the other day and meet 2 guys at the dock. i asked how it was going and they replied didnt get any walleyes, i asked what bait they were using and they said shinners. i left the dock and within 15 minutes i had an 18 incher along side my boat. so all you minnow guys out there just keep using them, that will leave me more fish to catch. wink.gif

Sorry for the delay in giving my report. I have had some issues with my computer again!

I was out Wednesday (4th) thru Sunday (8th). Wednesday was by far the best day of all of them. I managed 15 eyes and had 10 come off at or on their way to the boat. Most fish were biting light to moderately aggressive. I switched to a stinger hook for the remainder of the week and virtually eliminated that problem. Thursday I boated 8, Friday 5, Saturday 3, Sunday I did not go out. The magic depths seemed to be 20 to 23' and I started out the week using a mix of Redtails and Creek chubs. I have to say that I think the Creek chubs seemed to work slightly better.

All in all it was a fun time. I do wish that the wind wasn't so brutal Friday thru Sunday. One of the reasons I didnt go out Sunday morning. I guess I am getting old and soft!

I've been waiting for the artic blast to quit. I'm chomping at the bit to get out again. The wind and the snow have been unruley. It's been blowing up here for 4 or 5 days. Went to ND, last weekend, for the youth pheasant hunt. It blew out there too. Pheasants didn't seem to care. The boys bagged thier limits in couple hours both days.

Quote:

The wind and the
snow
have been unruley. It's been blowing up here for 4 or 5 days.

SNOWING WHERE? In Park Rapids?????????? confused.gifshocked.gif

Yeah Bob, it's been snowing and raining, and wind blowing 30 mph for 5 days. It's going to be about 20 degrees tonight, then a slow warmup starting tomorrow. Maybe a high of 37 degrees. We had a couple of inches on the ground for a couple days. Mostly in the woods and grassy areas.

Holy-smokes!! It seems like I was just there!!

I hope you don't mind if I tell you to KEEP IT UP THERE!! grin.gif Oh, we'll be getting ours soon enough.

Stay warm, ya hear!!! wink.gif

Just got off of Fish Hook, maybe for the last time before freeze up. The wind was blowing and it was raining, and I still had fun. Caught a couple of 16" walleyes, missed a couple, and had a couple of pretty nice sharks snap me off.

Quote:

Just got off of Fish Hook, maybe for the last time before freeze up.

Has been mostly raining down here (Omaha, NE), but the snow has been just off to our west... shocked.gif

Sad part is... since I've been back (9/17), the boat is in the garage, the batteries charged, rods/reels are all rigged... and have not gotten out ONCE!!! <grrrrr>

We get winter "down here", but it's so inconsistent... some years colder and snowier than heck; and then other years, the snowblower and snowmobile places loose their shirts (no or very little snow/cold).

Have lived here all my life, but because of the seasonal variability, I've never gotten into the "winter sports". Soooo, I am usually just miserable until spring... frown.gif

I certainly wish all my new forum friends here, much "hard-water" fishing success and I'll keep droppin' by. After all, it's only FIVE months until mid-March!!! crazy.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Fished the Hook 9-29 to 10-15 with the best luck I had all year on 'eyes. Talked to a few folks out on the water but not sure if anyone was on this site. Other than the snow squalls and strong winds on the 11th/12th it was a neat time to be out. Hey, MBug, how is school going? Hang in there and keep the PR site moving.

school is crazy right now, havent been "tipsy" all year. too much homework and a rigorous swim schedule keep me tired and out of the bar. glad to hear you caught em, now if you could only do that all summer long. hahaha nice dream. hope all is well. are you coming up for ice fishing at all? Jonah

MB85 - sounds like you are behaving yourself and keeping busy at school. I have not made any definite plans to try the ice fishing again. Four years ago the wife and I were up for the week between Christmas and New Year. Fished Eagle and Fish Hook. Didn't have the right gear as all the snakes bit off my jigging spoons. Did bring home a few crappie caught on Eagle. Was a good time and I would like to try it again. Come Feb. I will be busy doing taxes so Dec. or Jan. would be my best bet. I plan to follow the ice reports for PR/area and if it works out, I may make a trip up.

Fishook, as soon as we can walk on the ice, is the best ice fishing of the year. Once January hits it slows down. If you plan to come up, as soon as you hear people are fishing, try to get up here as soon as you can. I'm reffering to catching walleyes. The crappies are a different story.