• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to select chest waders

Spinner1

I would like to pick up a set of chest waders. A bit overwhelmed by all the different styles. What are the most important considerations, and how much do I need to spend to get a set that will last through say five years of occasional use. (Some were just too cheap to be good). I would like to purchase at Cabelas when I roll through Owatonna next week. But Gander Mountain is my other option. Anyway, a few of my questions. Some came with HD cow milkin' boots attached, others had soft boots. (I assume for traction on stream rocks, or not?) Are all worn over stocking feet, or do you wear sneakers inside some models?

They all are worn stocking footed as far as I know. I had a pair of Hodgmen wadelight for 4 yrs before they started to leak in the stocking foot a little Auqa seal and they held out 1 more year. I paid $50 on clearance for those. So when I went to get a new pair what do you think I bought. My use of them is moderate to heavy at times.

I prefer the stocking foot over the lug boot style because you can use your wading boots with or with out the waders. Just buy a pair of neoprene socks for when it gets hot and you want to wet wade.

I'd recommend a pair of breathable waders over neoprene unless you'll be fishing a lot up north during the cold season. Neoprene can get awfully warm if you fish in the summer.

I may be misinterpreting you, but regarding the "soft boot" you mentioned. That's just a boot liner attached to the waders. If you get that type of wader (what I recommend unless you're on a tight budget) you buy a separate pair of wading boots. Breathable waders with a good wading boot is a far more comfortable way to spend a day in the water, IMO. I have a pair of Cabela's wading boots and they've lasted me a couple full seasons but will need to be replaced next year.

OK, I am getting confused again. You can wear waders inside wading boots? Actually I read that before, but I don't understand. How tall are the boots in this case? Aren't you sloshing around with water in between the waders and the boots? That doesn't sound comfortable. If not, how does it seal water out of boots?

It's really not too bad. It'll help when you can go to the store and put your mitts on stuff.

Many waders, especially breathables, have the neoprene "stocking" foot. You still wear socks in these, and the stocking foot keeps your feet dry (until you get a leak, which you probably will).

You then wear the wading boots over the neoprene stocking foot. You still get a little water in the boots, but it doesn't weigh you down.

Wading boots:

p026699hz01.jpg

Breathable, stocking foot waders:

i830731sn01.jpg

Thanks, I understand now. I was thinking of the boot style that comes attached to the other style waders. What you posted looks like a hiking boot. That wouldn't trap much water at all.

spinner, if you're looking for a good all around wader that will last 5 years of occaisonal use, go with their gold medal dry plus waders. good buy for the money and have reinforced knees. They are stockingfoot waders, so you will need to buy a pair of wading boots.

Breatheable is the only way to go if you plan on wading in the summer. With a pair of fleece pants, those breathables will keep you warm during early and late season fishing as well.

Quote:

spinner, if you're looking for a good all around wader that will last 5 years of occaisonal use, go with their gold medal dry plus waders. good buy for the money and have reinforced knees. They are stockingfoot waders, so you will need to buy a pair of wading boots.

Breatheable is the only way to go if you plan on wading in the summer. With a pair of fleece pants, those breathables will keep you warm during early and late season fishing as well.

Deadhead

Are you referring to a Cabelas "gold medal" brand? I am in the military so I have several varieties of lightweight cold weather clothing.

I believe he is. I have that model and enjoy them. Most of my time on the water is actually spent out of the water, so I enjoy the comfort and I have them in waist high instead of chest high.

exactly what Wxguy said. yes, I was referring to the Cabelas gold medal model. I as well wear my waders outside of the water the majority of the time. Those waders have been through their share of spruce thickets and they are still holding up strong. the ability to convert from full chest waders and roll down to waist high is nice. The fleece handwarmer/pocket sewn to the inside of the waders is a good idea, however, it tends to get a little bulky up front when your waders are rolled down. definitely not a drawback though, and I still highly reccommend the waders.

Glad I waited until I chatted with you guys before I purchased. I was leaning towards the heaviest most rubberized set I saw, because they appear the most waterproof. Which is odd, since I remember how thrilled I was when the Army finally adopted the breathable waterproof strategy some years back. FAR more comfortable in summer. Thanks.