• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

first timers goose and duck call

any info and prices on what you would recommend a first timer as far as a duck call and goose call thanks for any comments in advance

Big River makes a good double reed duck call that is very easy to use, and about 20.00 bucks. However, the double reed calls will freeze in the late season. You just have to know how to free up the reeds. Flex tone makes some calls that are easy to use for beginners also. I have found double reed duck calls to be a great first step for starters. If you are hunting with a group, a drake mallard call is very easy to blow, you can't really mess up calling. keeps everone happy.

Goose calls are different. You basically have 2 different type of calls. Flute and short reed. I have found the flute easier to use for someone new than short reed. The reason is you blow into a short reed goose call differently than a duck call. With a flute you basically just blow. However, goose calling is much more forgiving. Lohmans makes a good starting short reed call that is cheap. Big river makes a good flute that is cheap also. Buck Gardner has a Canada Double hammer short reed goose kit. It's about 24.00 bucks and comes with two training aids. The Cd Straight talk does a good job.

However, it just comes down to what you like. I would suggest not spending alot of money at first. Get used to the calls, find the sound you like then move from on.

Finally, don't forget to practice practice practice. The internet has some good sites to help you out with calling. Just my two cents, I hope this helps.

I agree with airdriver, a double reed duck call is a good way to start. I know that i liked using the double reed much better when I first started calling. I have had no problems with mine freezing and I hun quite a bit when the weather gets nasty. One morning we were out when the thermometer read zero, and I had no problems.

Also the big river goose flute is a terrific way to go for the price. I bought mine two years ago and am still using it because it is easy to blow, easy to manipulate the sounds of many geese, I can double cluck on it. Bsically it is the most verstile call that I own, and it sounds great too.

i wld suggest single reed yo sista primo duck calls.. its work pretty good for me which i am deaf and i cant hear how its really sound like but i had some1 to help me with duck calls and say im pretty good with yo sista.. i agree with big river goose flute its easy to blow for me.. just pikc whatever you feel comfortable with.. happy hunting!

ol matty

Just bought a big river flute from Cablelas last weekend. I like it, we'll see how it goes this weekend though. Also I have a yo sista and like that also but still think the best call for the money is a primos original wench.

I would say without a doubt that the Haydel's DR-85 DOUBLE REED MALLARD is a great first call. I would say it is responsible for more mallard's deaths than any other single call. It is just plain duck, you blow and a hen mallard comes out the other end-- Plus you can get it off of the Haydel's website for $24.95 with their duck calling cd. I paid $14.95 for their cd alone, and it is a great learning tool. I covers how to blow and when to blow. I am actually going to get the combo packs for a couple of my buddies for Christmas this year. I would definitely check them out before buying any call.

For geese, I would say a flute is the easiest thing to buy and go and sound like a goose. If you really get into calling, chances are you will want to go to a short reed eventually. It is very difficult to make that switch once you get going on a flute. I would personally suggest going with a short reed to start out and get a good instructional video. You can get a real nice sounding Winglock Delrin Short reed for less than $50 and you will be set. Honker Talk is my favorite DVD. Shawn Stahls made the video and he takes you through everything from simple clucks and honks to a contest routine.

Good luck and be careful, duck and goose calls can become an addiction grin.gif This coming from a guy that has 52 of them sitting in his basement crazy.gif

I would go with the Yo Sista or the Phat Lady from primos good calls for only 20 bucks. Buying a movie or cd makes calling alot easier.

Good advice guys! I definitely agree with getting a DVD or video (do they even make these anymore?!). The double reed was easier for me to get a nice ducky sound when I first started. Haydel's, Primos, etc. all make a model. The big thing is practice,practice. Speaking of which I need to get mine out!

thank you for your great responses now all i have to dois go out and buy all 20 different brands mentioned he grin.gif

i will write these down and look around and see whats up this year is more of a learning to call and identify differnt types of ducks and look around at other hunters and learn from them mostly kind of year ill slowly get to buying all the decoys and all the other good stuff. thanks again guys.

First off, IF you think you are going to like duck and goose hunting a lot stay away from buying a flute call.

Go right to a short reed goose call.(you will thank yourself later)

Duck calls, just go get one and don't spend less than $30.00 for one no matter what brand you buy and IMO don't buy a single reed.

My choice of duck calls RNT (they do make a call called the J Frame- the only call under $30.00 that is worth anything)

I have the daisy cutter.

Goose calls, I have a Final Glide.

Another good call, Tim Grounds super mag.

Look up C&S custom calls. Mikey is the call maker out of Rochester and he makes a GOOD duck and goose call.(at a good price)

I have a custom pair of calls(snow goose & honker) from him.

His prices are around $30.00-$60.00 for duck calls and I can't remember what his goose calls start at.

Good calls nomatter what.

You silly guys with your flutes

I just got a buck gardner double nasty II duck call the CD that came with is it very good I am very happy with it. Also I just got a big river flute goose call. easy to use too. The only thing I dont like about it takes alot of air to blow it. but over all I am happy with the double nasty II and the big river goose flute call. I can't wait intill saturday. smile.gif

hello uspenamc, what i would recommend to you is a little road trip to the town of Zumbrota. There is a man there who runs C&S Custom calls. Don't be scared away by the name and thinking you are going to pay a fortune. He is redicoulously knowledgeable about game calls and will tune a call to you and the sound you want. Do a google search for CScustomcalls and check out his website. From fancy to simple he has got it covered. good luck, ike