• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shot size Geese

Ok , what's your preference for geese , brand size. I shoot remington express 12 gauge 3 inch. Been having trouble lately knocking them down. i have modified choke and usually shoot BBB shot. I guess im lookin for knock down power.

I shoot federal speed steel or estate steel. 12 guage, 3", BB, through a browning duck commander full choke. Knocks their socks off as far away as 75 yards, though most of my shots are well under thirty.

last year I bought a box of Kent 3inch BB and was quite pleased with it. I also shoot Winchester BBB in 3inch. I shoot a Browning Gold Hunter 3inch mod choke but I am going to try out the Duck Commander in full this year.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

number 2s in High Density from federal have been dropping geese dead while other that hunt with us have been eating feathers.

3.5 Inch BB. Kent faststeel 1 3/8oz at 1550. Winchester Super X 1 9/16 oz at 1260. HeviShot #4s. they all work great! The key is to focus on that head and put your pattern there.

i will agree on the federal hi-density; on a mid day break from the hunt a few weekends back my buddy and i were in a hardware store in west central minnesota and found and absoluted killer deal on the federal hi-densitys. they had a few different loads in both 3" and 3.5" #2's and BB's, and they were priced at 15.99 for the 3's and 18.99 for the 3.5's. i couldnt believe my eyes as i had just payed 60 bucks for two identical boxes just days before at scheels in sioux falls. needless to say we bought all they had left on the shelves and i pity the day i run out of that ammo and have to pay full retail again. but those hi-densitys are just devistating on decoying geese, especially after the first shot or two when the birds have banked and are offering nothing but their but feathers for a target.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Remington Nitro 3" # BB Shot and Kent Faststeel 3" BB shot all shot with a modified choke.

I shoot BB and, occasionally, BBB. Brand wise, I usually buy the cheapest, heaviest load I can find. Have had good luck with Estate and Kent as well as the cheaper Winchesters.

I've been shooting BB, 1's and 2's at geese this year and they have been dropping like flies. I don't think it matters as much with early geese. Late season I might switch to BBB or T.

I use Kent Fasteel #1's 1550fps for field hunting all season long. I had TROUBLE downing birds with it my first two times out this year and I was thinking it was the shells.(it couldn't be me, could it) Then I actually relaxed a little and aimed for the beaks and I have pulled three shots-three geese my last two times out. So I have gone from thinking that I was shooting the worst shells out there to thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread. Speed kills, if you shoot anything from #2's to BBB's, you will kill geese if you hit them right. If you hit them in the breast or body, I think you need buck shot to kill with any consistancy.

for feild geese i generally shoot kent fast steel 3" 4s due to the fact they you can get them close, however over water i will tend to lean toward 2s. with the new super tight and consistant patterns you can acheive with a patternmaster of wad wizard i dont feel that a guy needs a real big shot size.

Winchester 3 1/2" BBB in the 1 9/16oz shot. Early season or late, this is about all that I shoot on geese unless they take me by surprise, then it's 3 1/2" 2's (my duck load). I have one box of T's left that I need to shoot up, but I won't use those until late season. I've tried BB and 2's before, but from my own personal experience, I just haven't been able to get a good kill on them like I can with the BBB. BB and 2's I'm usually headed out in the boat to make kill shots.

I used modified choke.

I'll tell you where its at. HEVI STEEL. I shoot B's or 2's for Geese and 2's or 4's for ducks. You wouldn't believe it until you tried it, but there is no such thing as "out of range" with this. I haven't had a "cripple" since I've used HEVI STEEL. If you really want to step up with the big boys get the HEVI SHOT duck load.

ive seen how cheap the WOLF shot is like half the price for same type of rounds anyone ever use these

The best shell I ever killed a goose with was a 2 3/4" BB Tungsten. They were fast and good grief they hit like a ton of bricks, but then again they cost like a ton of gold too...

When we were really shooting a lot of geese in the mid to late 90's we used a lot of the bigger shot T and F's but we really got away from it and went to BBB and BB and had more success. I usually go BB now when/if I shoot geese.

My favorite by far for geese is the 3.5" BBB. I use these whenever I can. I did get a heck of a deal on 3.5" T shot for $4.99 a box last year and have had some success with them this year, but my confidence is with the BBB.