• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are the white sox done?

rundrave

The sox still scare me and are still capable of going on a tear, just as easy as the twins are of going on a slide

I figured with the sox going into last nights game already knowing that the Tigers and the Twins BOTH lost that it would give them a little spark.

When I saw the 9-0 beat down by the M's I guess I was wrong.

Is it true? both Windy and the Sox have given up?

Pretty sure he locked the gate behind him when he left the Cell and also forgot to bring his 'puter home with him.

They are done. Stick a fork in them. The have had the chance to pick up a game or two here and there but they haven't been able to do it. They are going the wrong way in a hurry.

What makes you happier, the Twins making the playoffs or the White Sox sitting at home in october?

For me one wouldn't be complete without the other but I have to smile when I see the standings and the Sox are 5 1/2 games back. It turns around a bad day in a hurry.

Jermaine Dye left the game today. Hate to see a player get hurt. But it makes the odds for MVP better for Morneau..

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye left Saturday's game against the Seattle Mariners in the eighth inning after stumbling and falling down as he came out of the batter's box.

Dye's grounder to shortstop became a double play when Juan Uribe was tagged out at third trying to advance from second and then Dye, who couldn't run up the line, was out at first to retire the side in the seventh.

Ryan Sweeney took over for Dye in the top of the eighth.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Looks like they failed to show up again last night. The way things are progressing, there could be an outside shot the Twins get homefield through out. Only 1 game back of both the Tigers and Yankees. If we win out you never know what could happen standings wise.

We need to win out and the kitties lose 2. Pretty tall order but it can be done.

How sweet would a sweep of the Sux be?!?!?!

Quote:

How sweet would a sweep of the Sux be?!?!?!

It could happen, the Sox have obviously thrown in the towel on Ozzie..... grin.gif

Pier,

If ever you needed a team like the Sox, now is the time. They cashed in the chips about a week and a half ago. Konerko is out with injury, they shut Buehrle down (though that could work in the Sox favor), and a bunch of nagging injuries have come out. You know if they were still in the hunt those players would be in everyday but they flew the white flag about 10 games ago. I would think a sweep could be possible but it looks like the Twinks are holding Yo-Han for the 1st game of the playoffs. This could backfire if you want the division title. Kitties get KC to finish up though they have been playing tough against all the division leaders this year. The Sox do have a thing for the Twinks and they might just muster up a little "pis* and vinegar" and take a game or two up in the baggie dome. Should be an interesting race to the finish line and then the real dance starts. GO BEARS! Windy

They flew the white flag 10 games ago???? Wow not much of a team if they did that. A real team would never give up, even if they were totally out of it. I blame that on the coach

Muerto Minnow,

You could blame the coach or nagging injuries or the fans or the weather but all that would do is look like excuses. I think the facts speak for themselves. They are something like 2-8 in the last ten games over the time I was reffering to while the Kitties and Twinks were 6-4 or 7-3. The division was there for the taking as was the wild card and for some reason, they didn't close the deal. I would have to say they gave up, why not blame the people most directly responsible, the ones throwing the ball and swinging the bat? Agreed?

Looks like a dead heat down the homestretch, though you are still a game behind, so to speak, with the tie breaker going to the Kitties. Should be a wild weekend. You are getting a team who is playing dead while the Kitties may get a Tiger in their tanks with KC. I would hope that the Sox hatred for the Twinks would boil over and they would show some sign of life, especially since the Twinks are holding out Yo-Han for game one of the playoffs. Windy

Muerto,

They did teach you how to read when you went to school, correct? Why don't you take a minute and re-read my previous post. If you can't do that, have somebody else read it to you. Then get back to me. Oh, by the way, welcome to the thread! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Windy

Muerto,

Just an after thought. Why on God's creation would you blame the coach for a team giving up? When was the last time Ozzie picked up a glove or a bat on the White Sox? What was his on base percentage this year with the White Sox? Thought so! Blame the people who cash the million dollar paychecks and the ones whose fingers are inside the gloves and on the bats and balls! Windy

Yep, never did understand why it was the mgr that gets fired. Same applies to the workplace .....just try to get some underachievers with no motivation to do something they don't want to do when they know they won't lose their job.

The coach in in charge. The coach is in charge. The coach is in charge. He's the one responsable for...........everything. Motivation of the troops is the responsability of the coach. If they give up the fault lies in the coach. The buck stops at the coach.

Ozzie's a quitter except when he cashes his million dollar paycheck. grin.gif

Geno,

You must have seen one too many road crews out in the Land of Lincoln, six guys standing around leaning on shovels with a cup of coffee in their hand while the new guy (usually a college kid) shovels the ashphalt into the hole! Got to love our local govt. Layers upon layers of guys getting paid to do nothing. Windy

High school teams, yes. College teams, maybe. Pros, no way! Look at the NBA, do you really think Phil Jackson was responsible for the Bulls winning 6 championships. Was he that much better of a coach than Doug Collins, no way! He was just there when Michael, Pippen, Grant, Rodman, Paxson and all took off. Coaches in pro sports get way too much of the credit and take way too much of the blame. It's the players, it's the players, it's the players! Windy

Boy are you windy----- A manager should be a good motivator-- If you cannot motivate your players you should find another job.It is even more important in major league sports. There are certain coaches who can motivate and a few that cannot. He appears to b e one of them

Well Windy, it looks like we are on the same page here --- who'd-a-thunk-it?

I love your analogy with da Bulls. And in baseball, I ain't seen a mgr yet in the books that has picked up the W or won MVP or a batting title or been put on WebGems.

AND FURTHERMORE, since there is only 2 mgr of the yrs

AND SINCE, there is only one WSeries winner

DOES THAT THEN MEAN ALL THE OTHER MGRS ARE JUST AS BAD AND ARE NOT ABLE TO MOTIVATE EITHER? To think the professional MLB would employ 30 or so of these POOR LEADERS and only 1 good one.

You guys are noble in trying to blame Ozzie, but so far's I know the only perfect guy got his butt nailed to a cross.

Pro coaches are absolutely no different than managers in any other company. They are in charge and, if they are worth a crap the buck stops with them. If they are so-so then the performance of their particular department will reflect just that. If they completely suck they will throw out excuses for failure until either someone belives them or they get the el-booto out the door.

Geneo, I'm not nailing ozzie by calling him a quitter. I'm giving Windy a hard time.

However, the buck stops at the coach and if he starts throwing out excuses........well..........then he sucks.

Way too much involved in this topic to discuss in short paragraphs.....there are entire development training seminars lasting weeks on developing personnel.

I agree the mgr should be held accountable and take responsiblity for his decisions, but holding them accountable for the ability of their resources - which they have no control over - is a diff issue. I agree a mgr should not make excuses. I agree diff mgrs have can have more leadership ability than others --- I do NOT agree it is fair to put all the blame on the mgr.

Look at my Cubbies....wasn't Dusty highly touted? didn't he have a couple good/promising yrs? you think it is his fault as a poor leader that it took J Jones until summer to learn to run the bases? or 7 weeks for Ramirez to start hitting HRs? or that he went and over-pitched Wood and Prior into injury?

Now, having said all that, and knowing the WSox have a very good team, I only give Ozzie one more chance to turn it around if he is indeed making excuses. He's got some of the best resources in all of MLB (maybe if he had Hermanson all this year it would have been diff? why the heck didn't he LEAD Hermanson off the IR list sooner?)

But aside from all this, it all depends on the owner.

He's got the gold, so he makes the rules and can do whatever he wants...if the job is ONLY reviewed based on winning the WSeries and the manager does it once, then it's the owner's call to make any change in mgr that he wants to at anytime with no need to explain himself.