• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FORD VS. CHEVY

stmichael

stmichael, you'll be fine.

It's the weight of the rims that beats up the breaks and trannys. Trucks are not built for rims of that size and weight. If you've ever known any one with a huge lift kit on the truck or had this happen to you. Ask them how many times they've had the u-joints replaced. This happens when the angles of the axels change because of the lift and the one that installs the lifts doesn't correct for the higher body. This aslo happens with the big rims. I'm not saying this will happen to every truck with any but stock wheels, but it does happen.

Quote:

Come on now guys!! Lets not fight... We all know there's only one REAL truck out there... DODGE!!
cool.gif

Amen to that DODGE+CUMMINS= cool.gif

Is there really that much difference in overall height / radius?

Most of these I've seen SEEM to be about the same overall height, it just looks deceiving because all your eye catches is that big chrome or polished wheel. The really big wheels seem like they have no more than a rubber band stretched around the outside for a tire.

Oh, BTW, Chevy....

Ive owned the all the big three, will not be loyal to any!!!! Whoever gives the best deal when the time comes for a new one they are the winner. But with chevy I have had the most problems.

I have had a dodge, chevy, and a ford. I liked all three, but the ford is the only one that hasnt been in the shop so i am going with ford. At least until it goes in the shop. Then i am going to try a toyota, nissan, or honda.

I drive a Suburban because it is the only thing out there that suits my needs. My wife has a Ford Expedition and it seems fine. She also had a Dodge Durango, which was a big piece of junk. After that Durango and a bad Chrysler mini-van, I will never buy another Chrysler / Dodge product again.

Based upon my experience with both the Suburban and the Expedition, I think that Ford and Chevy could learn a few things from each other. If they do merge, which I also read this week, let's hope that they do take the best of both rather than cut costs and end up with the opposite.

I will never buy a foreign truck. NEVER.

Opening a big, big can of worms, here....

Many "foreign" vehicles are designed and build here in the USA. And to add to that, many "domestic" vehicles are produced in Mexico.

I read in the Star and Trib a few months ago that the Toyota Sienna minivan is more American made that the American icon the Ford Mustang.

My wife used to own a Toyota Solara, and I was concerned about the percentage of "America" in its build.

I found out that her car was more "domestic" than my 1998 Chevy pick-up. I was close, My chev had about 85% domestic parts, and the toyota had about 89% domestic parts.

So there are lots of foreign cars that aren't so foreign.

Where does the company that you buy from originate and where do they bank their money? I am not criticizing your vehicle choice if you buy non-domestic, I am just telling you that will NEVER be MY choice, unless it is the only choice. I know people that won't buy domestic vehicles.

I run a Ford Cargo van with added 15 passenger quick release seats and hardware.its a ship thru R-34 recreatioal extended wheelbase with a V-10,stainless headers out of the ford race and hi pro parts catolog.it was shipped from factory to Quigley for 4 wheel drive conversion.They did 5 and i/2 inch lift ,lockouts.Put in auxilary 40 gallon tank where sparewheel sat between frame rails.Added the two long windows but not short oned in rear corners.Its really plain looking but after some tuner work its a blast to drive.13 to 15 mpg 11 to 12 pulling 4100 boat and trailer,two axle.I had GMC like this with 350 and got only 6 mpg.Had another Ford 1996 like this before with 351 v-8 only 9 to 11 mpg.They will build Fords and chevys -ship thru from your local dealer but sorry they wont build dodges.Wife drives a Montero Sport Mistubishi,16 year old daughter drives a Cherokee with v-8 and they are also fun.Mitsubishi feels like an extended CJ but with highway manners.It gos almost anywhere at 23 to 26 mpg.I have had almosy every 1 ton 4 door pickup made with all engine options and really liked the chevy big blocks and the new v-10's the best