• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mappin network drive in Wndows xp

LwnmwnMan2

Question

I'm trying to get my accounting program set up for my business to share on 3 different computers I have around my house.

I can get it to the point where I'm trying to map the drive on a peer-to-peer network, from the host computer, but then it asks me for a username / password. I can't figure out what I should be putting in there.

Any help????

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

It may be asking you as the administrator for that information, which could be your login name and password.

XP Professional I assume. You have to setup the permissions from the "server" computer, and you have to login as Administrator to start with.

Once mapped and permission setup you can login as user again.

XP Home is much easier, but less secure.

Then logoff and login as administrator, go to control panel then change your user acount proprieties to administrator.

All I do to map drives is lookup computer on My Network Places, then right click on drive (or folder) and choose Map Drive.

Is the password request from Windows or from accounting software ? If it's from acct software you might need to get a multiuser version to run it on 3 computers, which software is it ?

Quote:

Then logoff and login as administrator, go to control panel then change your user acount proprieties to administrator.

All I do to map drives is lookup computer on My Network Places, then right click on drive (or folder) and choose Map Drive.

Is the password request from Windows or from accounting software ? If it's from acct software you might need to get a multiuser version to run it on 3 computers, which software is it ?

I believe it's a request from Windows, and I say this, because it looks like a windows-window, not my accounting program.

I'm starting to think I may have underlying issues as well.

Whenever I try setting up a new network location, it won't keep what I'm typing in for the network name, it always reverts back to MSHOME.

On my laptop, I can view the workgroup computers, but not on the desktop in my office. It only shows the computer that is in my office (a file icon) and the computer that's in my shop (networked file icon). It doesn't show the laptop at all.

When "view workstation computers" from the laptop, it shows all 3 computers, with the "3 workstation computers icon" in front of the names.

I've got to go haul some firewood in this rain, so I'll have to keep working on it when I get back.

I am going to assume that you already shared the folder the PC in question. In that case right click on my computer and go to manage then to users and groups you can add a user there to share. I am not that familar with windows home, but you should have to assign rights to the folder on the PC that has the shared folder. If that is the case, you will need to logon using the sharing computers name and then the logon and password. Should look something like {computer name}\username. If you just put in a username without the home computer name in there it may not let you logon.

This kind of stuff is one good reason to pony up the extra $$$ and get the Windows XP Pro.

Usually XP Home is fairly easy to share out, I wonder if you have one or possibly even 2 different firewalls running, things like that can drive you nuts..... trust me. Then put access permissions on top of that.

Not a big fan of network like that anyway, other problems can arise because of it. Now days you can get those Network Attached Storage devices, all it is, is a hard drive in a enclosuer with a network port and a web interface to set it up plug it right into your router or network hub and you should be setup shortly. Probably would be the way I would go, could eliminate alot of headaches.

Good luck !

Mike

Quote:

I wonder if you have one or possibly even 2 different firewalls running, things like that can drive you nuts

I spent hours when I was setting up my home network trying to figure out why I could only see folders from one PC and not the other. It turned out that with the firewall program I was running it wouldn't allow my other PC in the network in even though I had it explicitly added. mad.gif

Quote:

Usually XP Home is fairly easy to share out, I wonder if you have one or possibly even 2 different firewalls running, things like that can drive you nuts..... trust me. Then put access permissions on top of that.

Not a big fan of network like that anyway, other problems can arise because of it. Now days you can get those Network Attached Storage devices, all it is, is a hard drive in a enclosuer with a network port and a web interface to set it up plug it right into your router or network hub and you should be setup shortly. Probably would be the way I would go, could eliminate alot of headaches.

Good luck !

Mike

If I had the firewalls running (which I do) wouldn't that allow me to see the computers that don't?? Or am I looking at it backwards??

Does the firewall not allow me to access another computer, from the firewalled computer, since that would be bringing info back into this computer?

Wouldn't the firewall not allow me to access this computer with the laptop??

There are several different firewalls you need to be concerned with. 1 is the windows firewall and the other is the Norton/Macaffee style firewall. Try going to start, then run, key in cmd (it should open a commmand window) then key in "ping {computername} this should tell you if the pc that you are trying to access the files from can even see/find the other computer. If it can't, find the sharing computers IP address and then go back to the other PC and key in "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the IP address of the sharing computer). You can find the IP address by keying in ipconfig at a command prompt. If you can't find it by name but can by IP address you access the share by IP address then share name.

Not sure if you have tried any of this, but if not it is a place to start.

Quote:

I can get it to the point where I'm trying to map the drive on a peer-to-peer network, from the host computer, but then it asks me for a username / password. I can't figure out what I should be putting in there.

When it asks for your username /password you need to put in

computer name\username

password

This information that you use needs to be an acoount on the machine you are connecting to. Not the one you are connecting from.

Example: Computer name: Beretta

username: LwnmwnMan2

password: beaver

It would look like so: username: Beretta\LwnmwnMan2

password: beaver

if you have any other questions PM me I can help you out. It's what I do.