• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
burl

Lymes problems

burl

Any body else have a dog that has had lymes dissease?My lab tested postive the last two springs and was treated with antbiotics.This fall he started fealing sick again and is on the medication.Just wondering if it can be cured or if it will continue to be a problem.The clinic cannot seam to give me very good information on this subject.I have always had him in for shots and checkups in the spring and have had him on front line year around.Burl.

Swamp Scooter

My dog had it before she could be vaccinated for it. It took a LONG time for all of the effects to go away even after the treatments. So it is 3 weeks of tetracycline, right? If it is shorter then you may not be getting it totally gone and it comes back over time. Or you are in a hot bed of deer tick land. It is about time again for them to be out in force.

burl

Four weeks of medication.Live north side of the metro area.They claim the tick problem is all over the state.Looked back and did a search and found some previous information on this site but it would be nice to know if this will be an on going problem for my dog.Burl.

walleyesucker

Burl, my lab tested positive when he had his first test as a pup. He always tested positive but he did have two hunting seasons when he wasn't feeling well and we put him on antibiotics and a steroid. The symptoms went away but he still tested positive.

LABS4ME

As far as I know, the Lymes test isn't specific to test if your dog has Lymes, but rather that it's 'Titer" (sp?) is elevated. This is how they judge if our dog has Lymes disease. But the titer may be elevated from something else.?

Good Luck!

Ken

ccarlson

Hi Burl,

My young setter contracted lymes when he was a pup. Treated him and was doing fine for a while and then the symptoms came back. Treated again and the vet said that it wouldn't pay to do a precautionary lymes test in the future since it would always most likely show a slight positive. He said we should just use symptoms such as sore joints etc. as an indicator of whether the lymes has returned and then do a test if the symptoms do come back. So far in almost 2 years it hasn't been back.

I was just thinking the other day how I haven't seen any deer ticks like I usually do the first part of September. Then, last night, I checked the dog and he had about 10 deer ticks on him. The cool weather must be bringing them back to life in the brainerd area.

Time to get out the frontline for the fall.

ccarlson

stmichael

I have a friend, he had a black lab, this dog used to love hunting, fetch, and playing, especially with kids. She had fallen to Lymes disease, when he noticed that she was not well, he brought her in they tried everything, nothing worked. She passed away a couple months later, she had the drunken dog syndrome, it was really sad to see her in this condition. My inlaws had a dog that contracted Lymes as well, and it went through the exact same cirumstances. It was much smaller I do not remember the mix. One lived in Coon Rapids, the other in Warroad.

burl

My lab has been on the medication for about a week.He is finally starting to eat on a regular basis and seems to be in better spirits.Hope he is on his way to recovery.Burl.

stretch

my yellow lab got lymes a couple of years ago and it took alot of money and some time for her to be better. and since then she hasn't had it again.